My Final Porterhouse Cook (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I've run the gamut quite a few times with the shortloin roasts that porterhouses and t-bones are cut from and have come to the conclusion that they just don't work for us. Not that there's anything wrong with the roasts or steaks, they are incredible. The issue is a quirk of mine: I hate cooking thin steaks. The girth of the roasts is such that to cut a steak the thickness I like to cook, they are just WAY too much for the two of us. To cut them at a weight that makes a nice dinner, they are too thin. You're about to see an example of that :emoji_wink:

The steak. A 1 1/4 pound porterhouse.
004_Fotogenic.jpg

Rubbed with a little Worcestershire then a sprinkle of kosher salt, and a hefty dose of butcher's grind black pepper.
005_Fotogenic.jpg

Decided to make an asparagus based salad. I cut the tips, into the steamer to blanch them just a little bit.
006_Fotogenic.jpg

A couple minutes of steam and the asparagus is perfect. Slightly softened but still has some crunch to it.
007_Fotogenic.jpg

The salad: asparagus, onions, celery, tomatoes, Italian blend seasoning, a dash of salt, and dressed with my homemade garlic infused EVOO and spicy pepper vinegar then some feta cheese crumbles.
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Steak on the grill. Got the sear burner running wide open so we're right at 1100*
009_Fotogenic.jpg

Done and into the house to get happy while I get the rest of the stuff ready.
010_Fotogenic.jpg

Plated with a loaded baked potato and a bowl of the salad.
013_Fotogenic.jpg

And of course the close up shot.
014_Fotogenic.jpg

Although the steak was really good, here is why I don't like thin steaks. It is a tad over done in the center but barely brown on the outside. There wasn't enough cook time to get any color on the steak before it had to be pulled or it'd be torched. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'll stick with rib eyes, NY strips, and sirloins,,,and of course the occasional filet mignon. I will say however that the salad was exceptional and of course there's no going wrong with a loaded tater. All in all a very nice farewell meal for a fantastic cut of meat.

Thanks for dropping in and we'll see everybody again soon. Did a really interesting fiery Asian pork dinner last night that was super good. Just need to get the pics off the phone and see if it's worthy.

Robert

I've run the gamut quite a few times with the shortloin roasts that porterhouses and t-bones are cut from and have come to the conclusion that they just don't work for us. Not that there's anything wrong with the roasts or steaks, they are incredible. The issue is a quirk of mine: I hate cooking thin steaks. The girth of the roasts is such that to cut a steak the thickness I like to cook, they are just WAY too much for the two of us. To cut them at a weight that makes a nice dinner, they are too thin. You're about to see an example of that :emoji_wink:

View attachment 653577

Rubbed with a little Worcestershire then a sprinkle of kosher salt, and a hefty dose of butcher's grind black pepper.
View attachment 653578

Decided to make an asparagus based salad. I cut the tips, into the steamer to blanch them just a little bit.
View attachment 653579

A couple minutes of steam and the asparagus is perfect. Slightly softened but still has some crunch to it.
View attachment 653580

The salad: asparagus, onions, celery, tomatoes, Italian blend seasoning, a dash of salt, and dressed with my homemade garlic infused EVOO and spicy pepper vinegar then some feta cheese crumbles.
View attachment 653581

Steak on the grill. Got the sear burner running wide open so we're right at 1100*
View attachment 653582

Done and into the house to get happy while I get the rest of the stuff ready.
View attachment 653583

View attachment 653584

View attachment 653585

Although the steak was really good, here is why I don't like thin steaks. It is a tad over done in the center but barely brown on the outside. There wasn't enough cook time to get any color on the steak before it had to be pulled or it'd be torched. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'll stick with rib eyes, NY strips, and sirloins,,,and of course the occasional filet mignon. I will say however that the salad was exceptional and of course there's no going wrong with a loaded tater. All in all a very nice farewell meal for a fantastic cut of meat.

Thanks for dropping in and we'll see everybody again soon. Did a really interesting fiery Asian pork dinner last night that was super good. Just need to get the pics off the phone and see if it's worthy.

Robert
Still is a great meal but I agree with you on the visual of the steak after the quick sear...it almost looks like the first shot on the cutting board after spices where applied.

Again that is the visual..not the taste.

I'll stick with rib eyes, NY strips, and sirloins,,,and of course the occasional filet mignon.

I see what you are saying Robert , Not a lot of char/ colour on the exterior. I think it is a good looking plate of food.

Now me on the other hand would put a little more char on the outside as I like mine med. " NOW stop that eye rolling I know everyone likes theirs bloody red " , just not me . lol

Good thing you have you back up go to ( rib eyes, NY strips, and sirloins )

:emoji_point_right::emoji_point_right: fiery Asian pork dinner :emoji_point_left::emoji_point_left: ???????????? Hello ??????????

David

The porterhouse you sent us was fabulous, however it did make more than one meal!
This dinner is just another example of the great cook you are.
The salad looks fantastic, we love asparagus & will have to try your salad.
Al

It all looks tasty, just the same.

Might running the sear burner at a temp lower than 1100F help? You can still get a nice char at a lower temp, and the internal temp wouldn't hit the point where you need to pull the steak quite as soon.

I’m always interested in another amazing Robert meal. I get you on the thin steaks. I love mine rare and that’s near impossible with thin steaks. I love the asparagus salad. That’s very creative. Another impressive meal.

Robert, I agree about the thin steaks. When I'm cooking them, I usually do so in a blistering hot cast iron skillet. That way I get the good sear, but not overdone. Of course the downside is the lack of the charcoal or wood taste which we really like...

Reactions: Sven Svensson

Robert

Saddest little filet ever on that thing /sob lol. you could try a torch for teh outside like you would with a sou vide

My humble opinion - steaks need a very hot bed of coals / heat source to be seared correctly.

Looks great but cook it from frozen if you want a rare center .

Interesting thread and beautiful meal Robert! I’m with you on the thin steaks too. Although, it was not a conscious decision, but I stopped getting them a bit ago. I think this thread put into words what I would have thought if I was thinking🤣 But man, that plate looks incredible and the salad sounds killer! Thank you for the informative post!

Reactions: negolien
I see what you mean. You could always do it thick and save some for a lunch steak sandwich. Or you need a hotter grill. Are you sure about that 1100?

That is definitely a meal I wouldn't kick out of bed. Great job all around Robert. I also hate trying to grill thin steaks, or chops. My dad will only eat thin chops, and he wants me to grill them. I gave up for the same reason you did. Too hard to get right, if that's even possible. Having said that, If you do that meal again, please overnight that plate to me and it will be enjoyed.

Reactions: negolien
Ok, you wanna thorw in the towel on shortloins, fine by me. But now you got my curiousity up as to why your steak came out that way. I have my therory but want to hear more. Maybe if we can figure out what happened it may help someone else down the road and perhaps you will give this another try.
Did you actually cook the steak on the sear setting or did you cook at lower temps and reverse sear at the end ?

Reactions: edmonds
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky