• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My deer sausage recipe

Joined Jul 24, 2020
Thought I would share my deer sausage recipe. It works well as a pork sausage to but you need to cut the coriander and marjoram in 1/2. The picture is a screenshot of onedrive off my phone, I have an easy excel spreadsheet built, you just enter your final KG and it does the math for me. I know its in metric but i find it just easier for figuring and a career in Canada's oilpatch has me pretty much on the metric train. If it helps 1 kg = 2.2lbs and 1 g = .0353 ounces. (you guys probably already know this)

Attachments

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
thanks for sharing, always looking for new recipes and conversions. i just wish the rest of the world would measure like us cavemen in the usa. :emoji_laughing:

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
SIYG, Thanks for sharing but really in metric ?? :emoji_laughing:

Joined Jul 24, 2020
I’m no dirty commie but metric is way easier, just sayin, everything divided by 10 even I can do that math. (Btw most scales have a button to convert back and forth so you could always leave the recipe in metric, just don’t tell your buddies. No one will know.)

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I do most of mine in grams.

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
i just wish the rest of the world would measure like us cavemen in the usa. :emoji_laughing:
SIYG, Thanks for sharing but really in metric ?? :emoji_laughing:
I'm horrible with metric measurements also and that's why the digital scale I bought will weigh in American and metric. Truth be told, I actually prefer weighing in grams because it's a much finer measurement and you can be far more accurate when weighing stuff.

Just my .02,
Robert

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I'm with SIYG, metric is far easier to scale because it is in percentages.

olaf

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 4, 2017
I like the spreadsheet idea I do the same with my bacon I'd love to give this a try. Would I be OK with bulk sausage just want to try a couple pounds?

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
I’m no dirty commie but metric is way easier, just sayin, everything divided by 10 even I can do that math. (Btw most scales have a button to convert back and forth so you could always leave the recipe in metric, just don’t tell your buddies. No one will know.)
Upside, metric is definitely a conversation starter. Think of the conversation when you ask you friends if they want a kilo or two....of sausage or brisket?🍻

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Yes sure, I used to have the actual teaspoon measurements for all the spices for smaller batches but I can’t find it for some reason.
This might be of some help. It's an excel spread sheet from English to Metric. Gram spice conversion from TSP and TBS copy 1.xls - Google Drive Original source is AUTO EXCEL SHEET FOR RECIPE SIZING (bradleysmoker.com) . Not sure what the other sheets are, but they might be useful as well. I use Chef -Resources excel sheets just to be simple when working with resturant chefs. 🍻

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
I’m no dirty commie but metric is way easier, just sayin, everything divided by 10 even I can do that math.
All of my curing math is metric. I weigh all salt and sugar along with cure if using. I do it all old school no online calculator.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.