My Best Brisket Yet! (Q-View Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
G'Morning Y'all! Finally getting around to posting my last brisket cook. I'll start off by saying, I have set a new bar for me. Super happy with this cook!

Cook Details:

Date:2/2/19 (late to post, sorry!)
Meat: Costco Wagyu Brisket
Price: $4.99/lb
Initial Weight: 18.37 lbs
Trim Weight: 12.5 lbs ish
Rub: Pitfaced Unicorn Rub (Developmental rub courtesy of bvbull200 bvbull200 )(Pepper Forward Savory Rub)
Aged: 2 weeks in Vac-Seal Rubbed Down (Just to let it meld, and really, I just didn't have time)
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: B&B Post Oak
Style: Fat Cap Down with Point over Heat Source
Temp: 225°F
Spritz or Spray: Nothing
Cook Time: 14 Hours Nekkid
Rest Time: 2 Hours

Pics (comment on top):

Costco carries these around Super Bowl and 4th of July (according to meat guy at Costco)

full

I went through many til I found a pliable/bendable one. Bonus... it was THICK!

full

Pretty thick fat cap

full

I trim aggressive. There is a lot of intramuscular fat to help hold it's own. The Pellet rig seems to be gentle on the briskets. I go full trim on the point, and real thin on the flat (still fat on flat in final pics).

full

Gotta get under that flap a bit

full

5 lbs 14.5 oz of trimmings

full

Seasoned with Pitfaced developmental rub. Pepper forward savory blend. Test running for a friend.

full

Granular Close up!

full

Rubbed, Vac-sealed, and back in the fridge for two weeks to let it all meld. First time trying this and really was a result of not having time, so I claim it as intentional :emoji_laughing:

full

On the Pit at 225°F

full

full

About 4 hours in

full

About 6 hours in. Testing out the new InkBird and wanted to use all probes.

full

About 10 hours in

full

Pulled. About 205°F in the point and 200°F in the flat. Probed tender (started poking around 195°F)

full

Double Foil wrapped at 175°F and wrapped in towels into cooler for a rest for 2 hours

full

Finished Pics!:

So so so so happy with results! Barq was incredible. Tenderness was amazing. Moisture was retained.

full

full

Fat cap still remained which is why I go so light on it for this rig (seen on bottom)

full

Overall thoughts:

If I can ever get close to replicating this, even 75%, I'll be thrilled! As for the wagyu, it definitely had a softer/oilier texture. Not a bad oily, just the best way I can describe it. Really rich, like Beef ribs. I can't eat as much of this in one sitting as I can Prime or choice, but still loved it. Flavor profile from the rub was outstanding. Pepper pronounced with an excellent blend of other seasonings to give it a well rounded profile.

The $4.99 question... Is it worth $4.99/lb?

Yes/No... If I were to do a comp, or big cookout for friends, Yes. For just me and the wife normally, I'll stick with Prime as it's way more cost effective.

I think I got most of the info in there. I'll add more if I think of more later.

Thanks again to all on here that always post up great threads. It's been my motivation to give back and repay all y'all!

Excellent ! :emoji_clap:

Thank you!

Brisket looks great points for sure! Never seen a waygu at our Costco might have to check around 4th of July this year

Thanks! First I've seen of them. I've seen the Snake River Farms ones before (same price). This one was better than the SNF in my opinion, whatever that's worth. I'll be checking back again around then to snag a couple more for sure though.

Awesome brisket and a great write up. Keeping notes on what you did is a great way for repeat performance.

Warren

Thank you.

Currently in process of repeat attempt.

got a Huntspoint Gold Wagyu trimmed, rubbed, and vac sealed in the fridge last night :emoji_sunglasses:

Great job, Zach!

This is why you're such a good tester. Meticulous note taking, beautiful pictures, and a track record of successful cooks.

Glad to hear it turned out nicely! Those pictures are just....wow. They belong in a brisket "how-to" cookbook or something. Excellent.

I like where this rub is at. Maybe time to move to the next step. :emoji_wink:

Thanks for being a tester!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Great job, Zach!

This is why you're such a good tester. Meticulous note taking, beautiful pictures, and a track record of successful cooks.

Glad to hear it turned out nicely! Those pictures are just....wow. They belong in a brisket "how-to" cookbook or something. Excellent.

I like where this rub is at. Maybe time to move to the next step. :emoji_wink:

Thanks for being a tester!

Always happy to be a guinea pig!... Well... Sometimes :emoji_laughing: . When it comes to test running rubs that is . I'm far from cookbook worthy. Good pics hide flaws :emoji_wink: . But I wouldn't be upset if I can replicate this cook. Far from it.

Awesome looking brisket Misplaced. Looks like Texas is rubbing off on you.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris! Always appreciate it. And I like to think I will rub off on Texas too .

:emoji_anguished::emoji_astonished:

That sounded way better before typing :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
But it has upped my Q game for sure. This site may have had a hand in it too.

Your brisket looks fantastic!
I wish I could get my hands on a Wagyu brisket, but I have to get one from Snake River & they are just too expensive!
Our Costco doesn't have them. They don't even have Prime!
Al

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Your brisket looks fantastic!
I wish I could get my hands on a Wagyu brisket, but I have to get one from Snake River & they are just too expensive!
Our Costco doesn't have them. They don't even have Prime!
Al
Thanks Al. Sounds like you need a new Costco! :emoji_laughing: I do consider myself lucky they built a new one just a bout a mile or two away and prime is usually $2.99/lb and normally $3.49/lb. When they first opened I was stocking the freezers full then realized I could save some freezer space and grab em whenever.

Agree with you on the price though, some of the wagyus out there get spendy fast! Keep your eyes peeled though as they are worth trying. :emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky