My attempt at the dumbest question of the day 🙂

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
I picked up a pork belly from Restaurant Depot a couple of days ago with plans to make bacon. I didn't want to open it yet until I have a suitable container in which to brine.

It's a 19+ pound package and looks like one huge piece? Is there any wrong way to cut it to make it easier to handle and cure?

2C4D3550-7F93-46A0-B064-E606EF041AB2.jpeg 69AE849C-F51E-4664-BFD9-64D019DD4F93.jpeg

Thanks!
-GG

Attachments

• 040BDEF2-3061-4B68-8E1D-3677D6E7CC3D.jpeg
    040BDEF2-3061-4B68-8E1D-3677D6E7CC3D.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 28
  • D27FD2D1-700D-4583-8D8C-248666450618.jpeg
    D27FD2D1-700D-4583-8D8C-248666450618.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: JC in GB
I'd cut it into 3 equal piece of 6+ lbs each. Looks like those are skin on - are you planning on removing the skin before curing?

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
I'd cut it into 3 equal piece of 6+ lbs each. Looks like those are skin on - are you planning on removing the skin before curing?
I've never tried this before, so I'll take any advice if you've done it 🙂. And when you say "skin", are you referring tomtje fat, or is the skin on the opposite side of the belly?

Are you planning on a dry cure or wet brine brine cure such as pop's? There are no dumb questions here on the forum! I would recommend removing the skin. They can be cut into any size pieces that make it easy for you to deal with... whether its gallon ziploc bags or what not.

Ryan

Aw man..... the last pork bellies I got were from a friend that got the full sides at Restaurant Depot. They were not 19#, maybe there are two in the bag?
jZ8AkyZ.jpg

Anyway I cut slabs in half the short way, then size up grain and try to be close to against-the-grain as possible.

Are you planning on a dry cure or wet brine brine cure such as pop's? There are no dumb questions here on the forum! I would recommend removing the skin. They can be cut into any size pieces that make it easy for you to deal with... whether its gallon ziploc bags or what not.

Ryan
Planning to go with Pop's after seeing it on this forum!

Thanks all!

Container for the wet cure arriving in a couple of days, so I'll open it up then and trim/cut then and report back 😁

Reactions: TNJAKE
Is there any wrong way to cut it to make it easier to handle and cure?

If you sliced the belly lengthwise to make it 1/2 as thick, that would be pretty dumb. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses:

JC :emoji_cat:

• Haha
I got a belly with the skin once and butchered the hell out of it trying to remove it. From what I have read you need to semi-freeze it to remove? It was like filleting a piece of jello when I did it last. Yes, restaurant depot is like Costco on steroids in meat size. The one by me just expanded and their meat/fish/frozen room is bigger than most super markets entire building.

I got a belly with the skin once and butchered the hell out of it trying to remove it. From what I have read you need to semi-freeze it to remove? It was like filleting a piece of jello when I did it last. Yes, restaurant depot is like Costco on steroids in meat size. The one by me just expanded and their meat/fish/frozen room is bigger than most super markets entire building.
Anybody have suggestions on cutting off the skin?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky