My adventures in starting dry curing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice! I was wondering how to use my Coppa (if it ever gets done). I'll bet Pancetta would work, too...

Point!
I am not against cooking some dry cured meats occasionally, but it's an awful amount of work (and time) to make coppa and pancetta just to cook with it. Shoulder and belly bacon would work just fine for that.

I am not against cooking some dry cured meats occasionally, but it's an awful amount of work (and time) to make coppa and pancetta just to cook with it. Shoulder and belly bacon would work just fine for that.

Just means I will stay busy making it. I don't mind that. Lol

I understand your first impression (when you didn't care for the "raw"). It takes a while for addiction to kick in. Now you are screwed for life.:-)

I understand your first impression (when you didn't care for the "raw"). It takes a while for addiction to kick in. Now you are screwed for life.:-)
I also left this one dry longer.  

Latest meat from my chamber.

Coppa, tad over 3 months drying. 35% loss.

Everyone loved it as a app over the holiday.
That's just Flat Out Pretty!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Frame that Pic & Hang it on the wall !!
icon14.gif

Beautiful !
drool.gif

Bear

Hey Adam......  what was the humidity and temperature you ended up following....   looks like somewhere around 75-80% and maybe 50 ish degrees F......    No case hardening to be seen...  really good job on the drying process....  

Hey Adam......  what was the humidity and temperature you ended up following....   looks like somewhere around 75-80% and maybe 50 ish degrees F......    No case hardening to be seen...  really good job on the drying process....  
Little story here.

I put 4 in at one time.  Low 50's temps and 70-75 humidity.  

First one that hit 30% loss I pulled it.   Had slight case hardening, so I bumped the humidity to 78%.  This one loss was 35% and no case hardening.  

I still have 2 drying.

Funny thing is people have all types of fancy fans and stuff in their chambers.

I don't even have a cooling fan. 

I have controllers for humidity and temp.  A humidifier and a dehumidifier.  That's it.

Looks beautiful Adam, very nice. 
icon14.gif

icon14.gif

What else do you have planned for the chamber?
I have a lot I want to make.   Bout out of pepperoni so that will be next.

Wow !!!

Man is that Purdy !!!  Looks Fantastic  Great job. Maybe one day I'll get around to trying some of this stuff

drool.gif

points1.png

Gary

Wow !!!

Man is that Purdy !!!  Looks Fantastic  Great job. Maybe one day I'll get around to trying some of this stuff

drool.gif

points1.png

Gary
Thanks Gary and for the points.    

This is like sausage making.   Its addictive.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky