My 14lb packer

Discussion in 'Beef' started by justin83, Oct 18, 2014.

1. I almost had a heart attack when i paid $3.48/lb for my 14 pound packer, and it was the smallest one in the case, I saw a 22lb one and thought to myself "I don't want to smoke it for 30hrs". So i decided not to inject my brisket like a friend suggested, I'm from Texas and that just seem like sacrilege to me. I put a basic cracked black pepper, sea salt and chili powder rub on it, and went with a mix of 60/20/20 cherry, mesquite and hickory. I started it last night at about 1am and had to open it about 2 hours ago because my neighbor wanted to throw some chicken on there. I have pictures of the beginning and from 2 hours ago (about halfway in).

Approximately 6 hours ago I went inside for like an hour and came back out and the temp had spiked in the smoker to 500°, so if it looks a little charred that's why.

2. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Looking good to me so far. Can't wait to see the final product.

3. It was stalled at 154 for about 3 hours now, but it finally started moving again

4. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

You can cook it at 850 degrees for one minute or five degrees for four days...

Auntie Marialanis cooking show! Lol

If you want a good laugh look that up on YouTube. It's a comedy sketch by Rap Reiplinger...

5. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

You planning on wrapping?

6. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Let's get to the important part, are burnt ends planned? Mmmmmmm I love burnt ends!!!!

7. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks good , Justin . It's likely climbing in temp. again now , just be patient and let her go unwrapped and get some great "Bark" , you already have a good start there...[​IMG]

Bark is Goooood [​IMG][​IMG]