Mustard eggs and Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Michigan
Was not sure where to put this so I thought this was a good spot. October 1st is coming and for me that means two things:
1. My sons birthday (going to be 21 this year)
2. Opening day of bow season (Deer hunting).

You can see the dilemma I have had (We have celebrated many birthdays before or after the first and I may have missed one or two).

Anyway, in preparation for this years hunting I made some Mustard Eggs following this:
12 hard boiled eggs
1 thinly sliced onion
Sliced garlic cloves to taste (I like a good bit of garlic)
Place in a jar with a tight fitting lid.

Mustard pickling:
4 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp prepared mustard
1 tbsp mustard seed (I use 1/2 brown, 1/2 black seed)
2 tsp turmeric

Bring to boil, simmer 5 min, allow to cool for a bit before pouring over the eggs. Refrigerate 10 or more days.

I recently made some homemade Kielbasa so I figured why not put that in as well and see how it does (that is a little Don Julio with the sausage to make the process easier). I also put some hot powder I make in it as well (ground Ghost, Reaper, Scorpion and others). I will let this sit for two weeks and then take hunting with me. I also vacuum seal them in a jar.

Thanks for looking
Link

PS. I am not completely terrible, my son is away at college and will not be home for his birthday this year. so my wife and I are taking him to Chicago for a long weekend for his birthday the weekend after.

Attachments

• Mustard solution.jpg
    Mustard solution.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 37
  • Red onion.jpg
    Red onion.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Kielbasa.jpg
    Kielbasa.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 35
  • Ready for Pickling Brine.jpg
    Ready for Pickling Brine.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: ab canuck
Recipe looks a lot like my "Amish Pickled eggs." The turmeric dyes them a "neon" yellow. It will be interesting to see what the kielbasa looks like in yellow.
_DSC0038.JPG

Braz, I unfortunately did not have any turmeric so I left this out. the yellow is just from the mustard. I thought about getting some today and adding it in but I am not sure if it would stir/shake in well or not.

Your eggs look fantastic.

Hey those look really good from my screen, and how appropriate making bar food on your son't 21st. Nice Job.

Point for sure.

Chris

Oh yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about.

The pickled onions were a pleasant surprise to me. I thought they were in the mix just for flavor but they are very tasty in their own right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky