Mustard binder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdkid

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 14, 2015
Pierre, SD
Doing some pulled pork. Will the flavored mustard make a noticeable difference in the cook? Thinking about using a spicy brown mustard.

Nope....

Just what I do, I score the fat cap, two reasons, so the seasoning/rub can get to the meat and so no one person gets all that delicious ambrosia. I Rub with all my spices except the raw sugar the day before wrap in saran wrap overnight (or a day or two even), so it permeates the meat. Believe me you'll know its peremated when you open the reefer door...LOL It smells so good!

Then just before I put it in the smoker, I will rub it with raw sugar, lightly. This will then liquify I find it holds the moisture in better. But be warned its best done this way only if you are low and slow. Trying to smoke it hot will cause the sugar to burn vice caramelize.

The only thing you need to make a delicious butt is patience.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Many folks say mustard leaves no flavor. I disagree with that. It adds some flavor although it is minimal. Almost to little to be detected. I have found that using a Dijon mustard leaves more flavor than yellow mustard. Also, even if I can't taste it, it is still there and I tell you that when it comes to beef, I like brisket that was slathered in mustard more than one that has not even if I can't say hey, that tastes like mustard! My $0.02....

Many folks say mustard leaves no flavor. I disagree with that. It adds some flavor although it is minimal. Almost to little to be detected. I have found that using a Dijon mustard leaves more flavor than yellow mustard. Also, even if I can't taste it, it is still there and I tell you that when it comes to beef, I like brisket that was slathered in mustard more than one that has not even if I can't say hey, that tastes like mustard! My $0.02....

I agree with this. I used a really thick Dijon mustard on my butt, and I could taste it. Which was still delicious, so no worries! It's going to taste amazing either way.

Reactions: JC in GB
I've tried honey mustard and it left no flavour difference, but it did make an amazing bark.

Otherwise I've only used yellow mustard and I personally stopped doing even that. I just coat a few hours in advance to let the rub set.

Occasionally, I'll marinate a pork loin in a mixture of molasses and a really coarse stone ground brown mustard.
It is out of this world.
The mustard actually compliments the tatse of the final product.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky