Mussels In White Wine And Garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zippy12

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 6, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
20180408_125604.jpg

simmer Shallots in olive oil
after 2 min add garlic
after 3 min add white wine and salt
simmer reduce by half
Turn heat on high

Add Mussels and cover with lid
stir occasionally and when all are open take off burner and eat

Sorry the the crows got to the pot before a picture!
20180408_132009.jpg

Make sure you have some french bread for dipping into pot liquore

Zippy,

When do you add the mixed herbs and butter?

John

After the Mussels are opened. I take the dutch oven off the burner and gently mix in the herbs and butter. NOTE! - when dipping bread in the sauce dont disturb the bottom. The bottom contains sand from the Mussels....

Looks Awesome, Zippy!!:)
Like.
I'd bet I'd love them, if I wasn't afraid to try them.
I love Clams & all kinds of other Seafood!!

Bear

Reactions: zippy12
Great job, zippy. Moules Marinière is one of our favorite dishes and we prepare it often. Simple ingredients, easy preparation, and one of the most satisfying meals I can think of.

I frequently prepare exactly as you have but I often deviate a bit depending upon my mood. Sometime I'll add a robust Dijon and/or minced anchovies to the shallots and garlic while they're sweating. Other times I'll substitute a dry hard cider for the wine as it's prepared in Normandy. If we're in the mood for a creamy sauce, I'll add some homemade mayonnaise or crème fraîche when finishing. Whatever preparation is used, they're all good. Inexpensive fast food at its best.

Like!

Reactions: zippy12
Don't be afraid Bear. . . . Mussels are really good! Great taste and I'll bet with this recipe would taste even better!

John

I always wanted to try them, but a few years ago, my Son had some Mussels in Jersey at a picnic, and he got so sick that night he thought he was going to die. We thought it was just bad Mussels, since it was at a backyard picnic.
So he got some at a restaurant & the same thing happened. Dr said he's allergic to them.
So like I said although I love clams and all other seafood & shellfish, I'm afraid to try Mussels because he is my Son & if I got as sick as he did, as bad as my health is, it would surely kill me.

Bear

Looks good to me, but here again, one of my forbodened foods.
Shellfish scares my doctors. :confused:

I am curious about something....
"Add Mussels and cover with lid..."

They going to jump out? Or muscle their way over the top? :rolleyes:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky