mulberry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was at Thurn's Meats in Columbus last week. They said they use oak and mulberry. Their smoked meats are incredible. 

Use alot of mulberry. Has to be bone dry due to it's high resin content. Depending on how you originally buck the wood will depend on seasoning. Spilt rounds with more surface area, you see where i'm going. Minimum of a year for large splits and so forth. It's a heavy wood, so weight will tell you alot. I burn coals so I chunk and use small splits (1"x4") so they dry alot quicker. Usually I keep a 1/2 loaf pan in bottom half of smoker to season them faster. Ends should be checked (spidered) heavy with a considerable weight loss. Try a piece in your chimney or on your gasser, should have a nice cotton candy aroma with no acrid or bitterness. If it crackles and pops heavy, it's not ready. It tends to burn hot so I keep an eye on temps when feeding the beast. Just my observations.

Any updates on this. I dropped some last year. Just got around to cutting in to shorter sections a month ago. Looks a little green yet. But been down for about 9 months.
Give it at least a year and you should be good to go...Nice mild smoke...You will like it when the time comes.

Good luck,  John

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky