mulberry

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by guff1972, Oct 4, 2007.

1. guff1972

guff1972 Newbie

Has anyone used mulberry wood and if so how well does it work.

Thanks Brian

2. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have not used it personally, but know people that have that love it. One even calls it his "top secret" wood. LOL

3. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Woodn't even know where to find it! [​IMG]

4. fatback joe

Me neither, but the guys that I know use it are from Ohio and have no trouble getting it there from what I am told.

5. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Perhaps it is available in my neck of the woods ... not far from Ohio!

6. fatback joe

7. fatback joe

I figured out why Ohio comes up.....it is an Ohio site. LOL Another mystery solved.........[​IMG][​IMG]

OPLIN Disclaimer
    © 1997 Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)
    &
    The Ohio Historical Society (OHS)
    Please send comments to: The OPLIN Managing Editor

8. raypeel

raypeel Meat Mopper

I have a fruitless mulberry in my yard (looks like it may be the white). I need to prune it this fall so I think I'll dry some of it out this winter and try it. Thanks for the idea.

9. peculiarmike

peculiarmike Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I find it in the corner of my front yard, I cut it, it keeps coming back. Birds eat the berries, poop on my truck. [​IMG]

10. deer meat

deer meat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

We have them in pennsylvania........must have the same birds two.

11. greazy

greazy Fire Starter

I have more mulberry than I would like. Have tried it. It is a very mild smoke, nearer to pecan or peach than to mesquite. One caution....make sure it is dry! It is quite bitter until very dry.

12. smokebuzz

smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I totally agre with greazy, one of the only fruit woods i will let dry out before useing, excellent smoke when dried.

13. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

I've used it - it's similar too apple. Make sure it's really dry though it leaves a sticky creaosol. Nice light yet sweet smoke.

14. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

figures.......i have a neighbor cross the street who just trimmed BUNCHES of mulberry, the fruit bearing kind..........but its fresh...........

crap

figures..............[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

d8de

15. smokebuzz

smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Dude, you get the beer, i got the saw, midnite tree extraction?

16. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

heheh.......limbs already cut down.........but its green.......won't be werth acrap for at least a year

d8de

17. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

guys and gals, I have access to a bit of mulberry.. I am just wondering if it is really that great? from anyones personal experiance?? the reason I ask is caus when I have cut it green is smells real funky. thanks

18. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

Please, if any one has any info from personal use of mulberry since this thread originally was posted please let me know. thanks a bunch folks !!!

19. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

thanks th... I was just worried, every mulberry ive ever felled.. stank so bad I figured it might carry over... I will get some cut and let er season. I know a guy who need some cut down... so I can help him out and myself at the same time. thanks

20. jakesz28

jakesz28 Fire Starter

Any updates on this. I dropped some last year. Just got around to cutting in to shorter sections a month ago. Looks a little green yet. But been down for about 9 months.