Mrs CivilSmoker’s Curry & Rice Bowls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Due to all the crazy cold weather we have been having my wife has been doing a bit more creating in the kitchen than normal……

First up is Red Curry Short Ribs…..my boy marinated and seared these short ribs on the Weber sear station……
009A8659-5A91-42EE-A158-0AF48F7DDB92.jpeg

Then my wife made up some red curry over rice and the it was topped with the seared ribs….
3AAC2AFA-F379-429A-A316-65C4A67F45F3.jpeg

This was a finger licking flavor bomb!!!!
B7121874-E6AD-4070-97F8-F1FCBCEE22C8.jpeg

Next up was my pulled pork green curry…… we had some extra pulled pork so the wife made up some green curry…..
624CBD3A-4082-4942-BF82-F1E10AF1ADEF.jpeg

Once the curry was perfect in when the pulled pork and this it was served over rice…….
902D88FA-F262-4E16-A223-93F251B51313.jpeg

I’ve had a lot of green curry but the smoky pork was our magic…..this will be a regular thing in our house!
27065D83-529E-4C64-94A8-5641BF9FD625.jpeg

Oh have to give props to the creamy Serrano lime salad…..I added sun flower seeds….yum!
EB0F689D-F8A2-4167-8775-87B901736DD9.jpeg

And finally her orange ginger glazed smoked chicken rice bowl……..

First the chicken…..these were dust with kinders smoky garlic and sea salt then on the RT @ 265 (I got a late start) for 2 hours & a INT 160…..
70A90CBE-0D6C-4CE0-89D8-2A38E20B75AA.jpeg

They rested in the house oven @ 145 for about 30 min before slicing…..juicy goodness…..
AA7FC3B0-30B3-45C1-82C2-D0841E93FD4E.jpeg

the slices were then put over rice and topped with cabbage and then dressed with her glaze (I don’t know what went into it other than it was a chicken base with a light orange & ginger tone….

11A5872F-20C3-4EED-810E-35EFAF497E99.jpeg

She also made a sesame oil aioli to dress it up…..
0C53435A-D021-4E3B-8AE3-195BB77BF3BD.jpeg

The finish was this Japanese veggie orange dressing dressed salad….. I know she purred celery and other veggies in the blender and it is thick but just a good fresh dressing flavor…..
083957EC-A0C6-4BF9-87E8-553739B37585.jpeg

I have to be honest that I want the cold weather to be done and for spring to show up, but I’m enjoying the concequences of my wife being a little bored…..lol

Looks absolutely amazing. I am not a fan of curry, but the meat looks delicious and I’m sure the rest is delicious as well. Nice work there.

Don't much like curry of any kind or color, but I'm interested in those beef short ribs. I've had a couple packs given to me and I have zero experience with them. You just toss them over hot coals direct? One four-rib pack is sealed in Yoshidas, the other naked. Any sage advice will be taken to heart and greatly appreciated, each weighs about a pound I guess. RAY

Looks absolutely amazing. I am not a fan of curry, but the meat looks delicious and I’m sure the rest is delicious as well. Nice work there.
Thanks SE! Understood curry isn’t for everyone, but smoked meat has a place it is bowl of flavor! Lol!
Those short ribs.... Damn. Just Damn
Many thanks cpt! We love them a lot!
Don't much like curry of any kind or color, but I'm interested in those beef short ribs. I've had a couple packs given to me and I have zero experience with them. You just toss them over hot coals direct? One four-rib pack is sealed in Yoshidas, the other naked. Any sage advice will be taken to heart and greatly appreciated, each weighs about a pound I guess. RAY
Thanks RAY….. we do the short ribs all the time. We usually marinade them in a soy, coke, sugar in the raw mixture, garlic, onion, red pepper, chili garlic sauce all add….. the biggest thing from my perspective is they need sugar to caramelize while searing. We sear them on a smoking grill for 2.5-3 mins per side. You sear them till the start to char then flip to char the other side……it happens quick! Just be warned the are addicting!!!!! Good luck and post some pics!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Damn it all looks amazing! Never made curry but would love to give it a go. Any sort of recipe or a link to a recipe you use?

Damn it all looks amazing! Never made curry but would love to give it a go. Any sort of recipe or a link to a recipe you use?
Thanks Smokin! I’ll dig in to the wife’s recipe card box and post it tomorrow for ya…..it’s a relatively basic sauce once you use a commercial curry paste…. Authentic is intense, if you make the paste!

Your certainly in a groove Civil. Another most excellent meal.

Point for sure
Chris

All those meals look fantastic. I especially love the idea of using the pulled pork like that. I’m always looking for creative ways to use it.

Everything just looks phenomenal CS! The stuff you guys have put out lately is just off the charts good. You could open a restaurant!!

I’ve been mean to try those short/flanken ribs. I’m starting to see that cut more and more here.

Here you go Smokin! My wife uses the base then adjust to taste. She always adds the coconut milk at the end like you do in a cream sauce. It should be thinner than gravy so it soaks into the rice….

Curry’s

Green
2 cups of chicken broth
2 - 3 cups coconut cream/milk (added at the end)
6 - 10 stems of Thai sweet basil
2-3 limes (squeezed and zest)
2-3 Tbsp Green curry paste
1-2 Thai chilies, green color or Serrano
3 small shallots
1-2 Tsp ginger paste
1 garlic clove
2 stalks lemongrass
1 tbsp. white pepper
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp fish oil or shrimp paste

Red
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 2 (12.5-ounce cans) coconut milk (at the end)
1 to 4 cups beef stock
1 to 2 (more if you want it stronger) tablespoons red curry paste
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly slicer
1 - 6 inch piece lemongrass, tough ends
removed, smashed and cut into 1-inch slices
1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly
sliced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
into 2-inch cubes (can use russets as well)
2 red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks (or desired size, if small put in just as it s ready so the don’t over cook)

Your certainly in a groove Civil. Another most excellent meal.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! We have had some good eats lately! The price of being house bound cause of weather!!
All those meals look fantastic. I especially love the idea of using the pulled pork like that. I’m always looking for creative ways to use it.
Many thanks jcam! We are always looking for different ways to us pulled pork….. it’s perfect for green curry!
Great looking thread of meals. I'd weight 800 pds if my wife got bored like that!!!

Jim
Lol, thanks Jim….. one meal days and 8-15 miles a week on the trail or treadmill…… there is a price to everything
Those look great.
Thanks BW!
Jeepers, do you and your wife cook like this all the time? This looks better than restaurant fare; maybe I need to move to Idaho.
Thanks halleon! Not all the time but most of the time….. we don’t eat out much…but do enjoy McDs every once and a while….lol.
Everything just looks phenomenal CS! The stuff you guys have put out lately is just off the charts good. You could open a restaurant!!

I’ve been mean to try those short/flanken ribs. I’m starting to see that cut more and more here.
Many thanks XR! We do like to cook but like our weekends and evenings so that counts out a restaurant….. my kids have pushed to do a pop up….who knows that could happpen…..

The short ribs are the BOMB!!!

All looks great.

Curious as to what you pay for short ribs?

Stores in Canada seem to think it's AAA Angus graded. 3x 3 rib pieces for close to $8.00 Canadian (about $6.00US)

Last time I bought and a long time ago. Sold 5 rib pieces. Don't even remember the pricing

Thanks

DON

I'm at a loss for words! Where do I start everything looks so incredible! I am a fan of curry and been on my short list for to long. This should give me the push. Even the salads look so good! I love those ribs but been to $$$ lately. Just awesome dishes bud. The wife knows her stuff!

Well Civil, just like Brian above, I don't know where to start. It all looks and sounds amazing, but that chicken really got my attention...

All looks great.

Curious as to what you pay for short ribs?

Stores in Canada seem to think it's AAA Angus graded. 3x 3 rib pieces for close to $8.00 Canadian (about $6.00US)

Last time I bought and a long time ago. Sold 5 rib pieces. Don't even remember the pricing

Thanks

DON
Thanks DON! We get the ribs for 4.50/lb. That equates to about 3.50 worth on the bowl….. they are cheaper than ground……. Can you see why we do then often….this was last weeks….rib and bird plate……
9904283A-706E-4ED4-A386-23C1B1ED1C3D.jpeg

Damn! Damn! Damn!
Those all look simply scrumptious!

I'm a huge Curry fan, I'd hit it all and unabashedly beg for seconds and thirds.
Many thanks chiler! Smoker PP green curry needs to be on the list. We have also done the red with smoked chuck….that is off the chart….I don’t remember if I posted this or not…..
6582DD64-B54A-4950-85D4-42F0FECFE034.jpeg

I'm at a loss for words! Where do I start everything looks so incredible! I am a fan of curry and been on my short list for to long. This should give me the push. Even the salads look so good! I love those ribs but been to $$$ lately. Just awesome dishes bud. The wife knows her stuff!
Much appreciated Brian! The wife also does yellow as well, she does a yellow fried rice that has fresh cut pineapple and smoked chicken as well! She has making sauces down for sure….I often see her deep into a GR recipe book before she goes to the GS, which means it’s going to be a good meal day……
Well Civil, just like Brian above, I don't know where to start. It all looks and sounds amazing, but that chicken really got my attention...
Thanks GS. I do 6-8 of these smoked chicken breasts almost every week for my wife for bowls and salads…..

I have two methods……first I trim them to get rid of the sloppy processing then HEAVILY season them with a neutral spice blend and then hit them with a pinch of salt.

Smoke method one is @ 235 for almost exactly 3 hours cut side up…then covered in a foil pan and in the house oven to rest @ 145 for 20-45 mins

Smoke method 2 is went I forgot to put them on in time so I smoke at 265 for almost exactly 2 hours, same cut side up and same rest…..

With both I check them all at the thick point with my thermo pen and as long as they are 155 +/- I pull them to rest. The rest is really important the above were pulled @ INT 160…..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky