• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mr. T's "Smoked Oysters" from Go to Show

mr t 59874

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 9, 2011
                                                                                                Mr. T's Smoked Oysters

Ingredients:

24 oysters

Cure: 

100g or ½ cup Morton Tender Quick[emoji]174[/emoji]

1 quart water

3 oz. alder chunk

Salinity = 38 %

pH = 8.0

Preparation :

Blanch in boiling water until ends curl, 2 - 3  minutes.

Rinse under cold water to stop cooking.

Cut into small pieces if using large oysters.

Place into cure for 1 hour, refrigerate.

Rinse  lightly under warm water, pat dry.

Place  on rack and air dry for 1 hour.

Place on racks according to size.

Hot smoke at 225° for 50 - 70 minutes until almost dry checking frequently.  Do not overcook or they will be chewy.

Note :

Smoker =  Cookshack Amerique, alder smoke, medium density.

If you plan to can your oysters, prepare as above, but rather than hot smoking, cold smoke for 45 minutes then can using proper canning instructions.

The following are the oysters canned.

Oysters - Brined - Cold Smoked - Canned - From Go to Show w/Q View

Tom

Last edited:

heathdyer

Joined Sep 29, 2013
Cool that's for the post.  I will give it a try.  Oyster season opens in a few days.  I think sister lake opens this or next weekend.  We still need a cold front to get them good and salty. 

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2013
That looked so terrific! I love raw oysters and raw clams even more, but those smoked ones of yours looked absolutely amazing!!!!!! Cheers! - Leah

mr t 59874

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 9, 2011
Thanks Leah, there were a few that didn't make it to the canner, if you know what I mean.

Tom

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.