Mother-n-Law was Overruled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Thanksgiving this year was going to be a relaxed affair with a limited showing due to some family moving out of state and others visiting elsewhere.
Plans for Thanksgiving had been for my wife to oven roast our one turkey due to her mother and father recently deciding that smoked meats don't agree with them any longer.
But then everyone else finally spoke up and demanded a smoked bird in favor of oven roasted.
Yep, the matriarch on this side was denied. :emoji_astonished:

So I found myself with a 25lb Butterball to be smoked... Hell Yeah!

Spatch It!

IMG_20201126_125424380_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Inject It!
Inject with my homemade Cajun Apple Butter and baste with it too.

IMG_20201126_130931686_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Smoke It!
Straight hickory, ran the temp at 350°.
I also ran a pan of aromatics under the bird.
2 hours and 43 minutes later the breast hit 165° and the thighs were 178°.

IMG_20201126_145901097_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201126_160858399_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Dinner!
The menu was pretty tame without 2-3 families contributing.

Charcuterie Boards and other Appetizers
Smoked Turkey
Crockpot Herb Turkey Tenderloins
Turkey Gravy
Cornbread Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Spiced Cranberry Apple Sauce
Kings Hawaiian rolls
And a pretty good assortment of tasty desserts

IMG_20201126_165537123_BURST003.jpg

Thanks for sharing!
Im doing one in the morning #18.5 Butterball. My mom smoked a bird today & wife says were smoking one on friday for TG session #2,,,,
Brined yesterday overnight 15 hours max with 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup grown sugar, garlic & onion power, 1 Tbl Tony C original Creole seasoning in 1.5-2.0'ish of water. tips slaughterhouse brine
Went with Tony c Creole butter injection today but wished I would have went with youre recipe......
Is it possible t over inject.......??????

Looks great Chile. My Son smoked his first one yesterday, was very good. We're smoking a Breast tomorrow.
I usually don't inject, but your recipe looks delicious, may have to try. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

Holey Moley Chile !!!!! Going against that trio could be dangerous.... Been there, done that, and found myself in trouble until the divorce....
I hope your luck is a lot different than mine was...

Awesome looking bird and a great looking plate.
Just the wife me and 1 grandson so it was a small turkey breast in the oven with some sides. If we of had our usual dinner there would have been 32 of us.

Warren

Great looking bird! And plate of food... very nice! For a tame menu it still looked pretty fulfilling. I agree... sometimes MIL just needs to be put in place.

Ryan

Looks great. My MIL would not have complained...SHE bought my Offset Smoker because she liked Smoked meat...JJ

wow looks amazing, I love smoked turkey, Yummy
Rob
Happy thanks giving!!
Thanks Rob,
and here I thought i wasn't smoking a turkey this year.
Thanks for sharing!
Im doing one in the morning #18.5 Butterball. My mom smoked a bird today & wife says were smoking one on friday for TG session #2,,,,
Brined yesterday overnight 15 hours max with 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup grown sugar, garlic & onion power, 1 Tbl Tony C original Creole seasoning in 1.5-2.0'ish of water. tips slaughterhouse brine
Went with Tony c Creole butter injection today but wished I would have went with youre recipe......
Is it possible t over inject.......??????
Thanks,
Over inject? Yes, it just starts running out the holes, wasteful.
Looks great to me I did an oven roasted breast.
Richie
Thanks Richie.

Looks great Chile. My Son smoked his first one yesterday, was very good. We're smoking a Breast tomorrow.
I usually don't inject, but your recipe looks delicious, may have to try. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.
Thanks.
Holey Moley Chile !!!!! Going against that trio could be dangerous.... Been there, done that, and found myself in trouble until the divorce....
I hope your luck is a lot different than mine was...
LOL... I didn't do or say anything, I may be crazy but I ain't stupid.
My wife and SiL told me. "You're smoking the turkey, everyone but Mom/Dad wants it smoked."
Beautiful bird, Chili !!:emoji_turkey:
Thanks Mike!

Beautiful piece of work Chile, huge Like! I'm thinking that Cajun Apple butter would really set that bird over the top, looks delicious! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky