Morton TQ confusion....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good to know..... Now you can put your knife in the pocket and slice outwards toward the thin section of remaining meat... all the way around the pocket.... Now you have 2 hunks of meat that you can "dry brine" with TQ in a zip bag or what ever... don't discard the liquid that seep out.... turn every day or 2 to redistribute the cure in the bag... in 14 days, rinse, dry and let sit in the refer for a couple days to equilibrate... then if a pellicle is in order, do it... smoke and eat...

Dave
Couple of questions....first being when I applied the TQ/brown sugar I used 14 grams of TQ per 454 grams of meat....I also added a tablespoon per pound of brown sugar. How much more TQ/brown sugar can be safely added? Going to seal the 2 pieces of meat in separate bags, just cut the liquid in half and dump it in each bag?

Just got off the phone with Morton, they suggested mixing the TQ into a brine as instructed on the bag and injecting it, letting it sit for 21 days. Hmmm.....decisions decisions....

Just called Morton back...was told to use 1 oz of "pickle cure" per pound of meat.

Last edited:
Couple of questions....first being when I applied the TQ/brown sugar I used 14 grams of TQ per 454 grams of meat....I also added a tablespoon per pound of brown sugar. How much more TQ/brown sugar can be safely added? Going to seal the 2 pieces of meat in separate bags, just cut the liquid in half and dump it in each bag? Sounds good to me...

Just got off the phone with Morton, they suggested mixing the TQ into a brine as instructed on the bag and injecting it, letting it sit for 21 days. Hmmm.....decisions decisions....

Just called Morton back...was told to use 1 oz of "pickle cure" per pound of meat.

Sorry I'm late... been busy.....
14 grams of TQ/# for a rub seems correct...

Like I said, I don't use TQ... inject the 1 oz/# like they recommend... that's 1 oz of the brine solution you made up... Do many small injections for complete coverage....
The addition of more brown sugar is up to you.... be on the look out for ropy brine... make new if that happens... rinse the meat and bucket and continue...
Sounds like you are on your way to some good cured butt....

Take the bone out and cure 2.... 2" thick pieces.... you have to take the bone out sooner or later.....
This is also what I would recommend. Cut the 4" piece into two 2" pieces & cure them.

And let's get this straight----No matter how long you cure your meat, a "Fry Test" is NEVER required.

I simply recommend it, as I do it all the time, just like I look both ways before crossing a street.

I have never had to soak any Bacon to remove extra salt flavor, except the time I used Hi Mountain Cure & Seasoning, but I would not have known it was needed if I hadn't done a "Salt-Fry" test.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky