More temperature from MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was clearly wrong. Multiple posts in this forum have noted the foam-like nature of the digital MES insulation. Bear tried 330F and had insulation failure. Sorry I didn't check into this more.

Most foams are polyurethane based and the working temps are given as 100C/200F max so 275F is pretty sporting for a commercial application (they wisely include a backup thermal switch) and the folks here (thanks tallbm) that have pushed to the requested 325F temp are right at the hairy edge.

I think there are cheaper analog vertical cabinet smokers that are just double-wall air-insulated boxes that would allow some wild west experimentation like I envisioned but a digital MES with a 275F controlled max isn't one of them.

Can't fault Masterbuilt. Their product works as advertised. Mineral wool would have added an extra $10 to the price and made their employees complain of skin irritation. My vertical Masterbuilt pellet machine has it (and goes to 350F+) but it retailed for about 2X the price.
I thought about replacing the foam insulation with oven or fireplace fiberglass insulation BUT the foam insulation in the MES is ALSO the body's rigidity. The stainless steel is simply just weak wobbly stainless steel. The foam gives it the rigidity. Was interesting to learn that.

Reactions: bill1 and MJB05615
It should also be noted that while Tallbm does push the limits out to 325 deg, with a PID controller he places the chamber probe on the bottom rack near the element as it will be the hottest spot. This prevents overheating the bottom as the heated air cools some as it rises to cooking level.

Reactions: tallbm and Leepster
It should also be noted that while Tallbm does push the limits out to 325 deg, with a PID controller he places the chamber probe on the bottom rack near the element as it will be the hottest spot. This prevents overheating the bottom as the heated air cools some as it rises to cooking level.
Yep, very good point.

Probe under center of the bottom rack, gives me the fastest readings and also fastest response time for the PID.

My setup has been very reliable and no issues with overheating when I do those hotter, faster poultry smokes at 325F :D

Yep, very good point.

Probe under center of the bottom rack, gives me the fastest readings and also fastest response time for the PID.

My setup has been very reliable and no issues with overheating when I do those hotter, faster poultry smokes at 325F :D
I've been keeping my Chamber Probe in the center of the top Rack. Maybe I should move it to the bottom?

I've been keeping my Chamber Probe in the center of the top Rack. Maybe I should move it to the bottom?
If you are doing hot cooks then the bottom of your smoker may be getting way hotter than you think.

Would be worth exploring with one of your back up thermometer probes to see how the heat is doing down there with your chamber probe in center of the top rack.

If you are doing hot cooks then the bottom of your smoker may be getting way hotter than you think.

Would be worth exploring with one of your back up thermometer probes to see how the heat is doing down there with your chamber probe in center of the top rack.
That's a great idea. Definitely gonna do that. Thanks, I'll let you know the results. As usual you're a fountain of knowledge.

Reactions: tallbm
Great for cost savings too!
Interesting to discover the PitBoss competition advertises 350F using conventional blanket insulation. But MB seems to dominate this market.
Yeah!
Surprising that the insulation cannot handle more heat than that, but maybe its other components. I've bought oven/fireplace insulation that goes way beyond that 350F limit so I'm thinking it's other components that cant handle going over 350F.

Here's a shot of mine when I was adding the 350F hi limit. This is BEFORE I ran 325F. 99% sure my issue was that when I drilled holes in the top for hanging sausage a hole got left unplugged (top right of pic). I since added a screw... Only put a few screws in the back so I can pull off and monitor. Another 325F smoker is the SmokinIt/SmokinTex.

20230311_144235_resized_1.jpg

Here's a shot of mine when I was adding the 350F hi limit. This is BEFORE I ran 325F. 99% sure my issue was that when I drilled holes in the top for hanging sausage a hole got left unplugged (top right of pic). I since added a screw... Only put a few screws in the back so I can pull off and monitor. Another 325F smoker is the SmokinIt/SmokinTex.

View attachment 666245
Wow that upper right hand foam insulation is just plain gone now aye?
You can always buy some high temp oven/fireplace fiber glass insulation and stuff in there. That stuff will not burn away at all. It's what I used to fill foam insulation spots when I dissected my 1st MES to figure out the rewiring and how it all worked. had to dig out a good bit of foam insulation to find and follow wires. Then just packed in the fireplace/oven insulation and boom, good as new :D

Reactions: zwiller
Here's a shot of mine
It's an issue with all of them . Unplugged hole or not .
Talk has been about the bottom being the hot spot , but that area you show ( upper left over the limit switch ) is the hottest spot on mine . MES didn't put the limit switch over there because it's the coolest spot .
I said above a high percentage of these are just like you show just running stock setup .

Reactions: zwiller
Yeah!
Surprising that the insulation cannot handle more heat than that, but maybe its other components. I've bought oven/fireplace insulation that goes way beyond that 350F limit so I'm thinking it's other components that cant handle going over 350F.
Even if they didn't want to spring for the cost of glass wools, even a sheep wool blanket is much better than 350F.
Like your other components thought...They may want to stick with cheaper insulation on the wiring. Although exceeding a 15amp 125 vac supply (which NEC says you have to discount 20%) is a market killer and it's just hard to get past 325 in the real world with 1250 watts. Otherwise I'd think there's a market for outdoor electric ovens (at a ~$500 price point) capable of kitchen oven Temps. Especially in the summertime.

Reactions: tallbm
... The only saving grace to this situation is low oxygen in cavity .
A very excellent point and a Good reason to always keep these well screwed together. If an oopsie dings an edge, plugging any gaps with silicone is probably very wise

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky