More reliable temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pellis04

Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Have the black 40" MES.

MES temp says 224
Thermopro BBQ probe says 215. It's hanging out just below my meat.

Which one should I trust more.

The therm closest to the meat, ALWAYS... main reason, it didn't come with the smoker... Smoker therms are notoriously incorrect...

If you've boil tested your Thermopro (just to verify its accuracy) then by all means trust it over the MES therm--they have a well earned reputation for inaccuracy. Mine was off by more than 30 degrees. I don't use the MES cook chamber therm or the meat probe. I always use my remote digital 2 probe Smoke.
Gary

I'm weird (Most know that), I have two remote digital cooking therms, and a stack therm, and of course the MES 30 control therm.
So you could say 5 therms. I have more, but those are my go-to's.
Generally, I never expect them to read the same, or not even too terribly close. Because I know they won't, they are not that high of quality, and have never been proofed with a certified thermo well.
But all in all, they are fairly close very often. As in no more than about a 10 degree spread, on a good day, if I'm holding my tongue just right, standing on one foot, and I don't fart.
Water boils at 212 degrees. At Sea Level. At my house, a bunch of therms say 209. Because your altitude effects the boiling point. Air pressure even has a lesser effect.

So don't beat yourself up over a thermometer.

And that is a damn sight closer than when I'm burning meat on the Bar-B-Que, by guess and by golly. ;)
And closer than a caveman with a lizard on a stick over a campfire... LOL!

Just observe, and get to know your tools. :);)

As said above, after checking your thermo pro in boiling water & ice water. If it's accurate put it on the grate a couple of inches from the meat. No body uses the MES controller or temp probe for accurate measurements.
Al

Reactions: SonnyE
As said above, after checking your thermo pro in boiling water & ice water. If it's accurate put it on the grate a couple of inches from the meat. No body uses the MES controller or temp probe for accurate measurements.
Al

Al makes a good point. And why I decided to not get an oven with a built in probe.
If my outside therms with extension probes go South on me, I just get something else.
But built in? :(

I just ordered a Thermopro TP08, are you all running the cable through the vent or between the door seal and box?

I just ordered a Thermopro TP08, are you all running the cable through the vent or between the door seal and box?

I took the guts out of my MES 30. I was running a probe through the door via the door gasket.
Then realized I had 3 holes available where the chip feeder screw holes are. So I have my leads going through those.

My Taylor therm works fine there, reaches all the shelves, and comes to the top on the outside for the display.
My cheapie 2 probe C therm, does not. But it's base (wireless) does work fine setting atop of my fuel buckets beside my smoker oven.
So I'm happy I found a use for the empty screw holes, without making other holes or fettering the door gasket. :)

Lot of good info here and that's the thing about this forum you will get the answers. I have a thermopro smoke and love it easy to set. I run my cables through the top vent.

Warren

Pretty sure the MES40 is too tall for that to be an option

Yeah may be. But it worked for me. I did use the vent hole, but then I added my stack to make it draw the smoke up and away.
YMMV. LOL!
My Taylor therm does have a nice long lead to it, Teflon housing.
Draping the wire through the door gasket is a good option. Beats making holes.
Using the vacant screw holes gives me an option that doesn't get disturbed except when a rack goes in or out.
Hope you find a solution you like. ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky