more kranskys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

downunderdags

Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
qld australia
g'day everybody thanks for your warm welcome .well my girlfriend was wining
that the kranskys i was making were to big (i thought thay like them like that lol) so i made her a batch of kransky in the small skins (collagen) i don't use these skins much .i love natural hog skins the best .but i am still a beginner to this .danMCG asked for the recipe .well mate i use a pre kransky mix that i by online .i am just learning. but i would love to make up my own mix that works. i have a question for you all. i have made my own mix .comes up great.then i put it in to skins and when i cook it. all the skins split in half ( but the pan aint that hot) do all fresh sausage need cure .i will give you example i grind the beef and pork add the chopped onion ,toms, basil .mix it well and leave it in the fridge for about 12 hours .next day i put them in natural or collagen casings . thay look awsome then i cook them and the skins split lol.
i would love some advice thanks. the kranskys i make are fine becouse i dry them in the oven .and when i do cook them thay are fine . thank you guys for your help .darren
s2_2.jpg

those look good Downunderdags! are they colored casings or did you smoke them?
I never really had a problem with splits so I can't offer much advise.
I'm not sure why your skins are splitting it might be the casing itself or maybe you're over stuffing or both.
Try starting with a little water in the pan at a slow boil, let the water boil away while the sausage cooks then finish as you normally would. Some sausage I'll poach in a pot of water at 180° till the internal temp of the sausage is 152° then cool and freeze. then warm and serve when I want some.
You don't want cure in a fresh sausage, but you don't want to slow smoke fresh sausage either.
I hope some of this helps, somebody should be along soon with some better advise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky