Moose Mettwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
This is the second posting from my day of making sausage with some ground Moose a friend gave me. I separated the posts to save confusion.

I had German neighbours when I was growing up. They served a mettwurst sausage that was more of a spread than a sausage. Later in my life I was offered mettwurst and it was more like a regular stuffed, cured and smoked sausage. I preferred that. 

So, when a friend gave me some ground moose, I decided to give the smoked version a try.

I started by soaking a 20 inch long 2 1/2 inch fibrous casing in warm water for an hour.

I had 700 grams (1 1/2 pounds) of moose meat and cubed the same amount of pork shoulder.

I put the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes.

I ground the pork through the fine plate of my stand mixer.

I ran the ground moose and pork through the grinder with the fine plate again, alternating each.

I made a slurry of the following ingredients:

13 ml (2 1/2 teaspoons) Kosher salt

1/2 ml (1/8 teaspoon) white pepper

5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground allspice

2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) whole mustard seed

5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried marjoram

5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground coriander

5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground nutmeg

1/2 ml (1/8 teaspoon) ground ginger

1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground celery seed

15 ml (1 tablespoon) light corn syrup

5 ml (1 teaspoon) coarse ground pepper

4.4 grams (3/5 teaspoon) Prague Powder #1

5 ml (1 teaspoon) cardamom

90 ml (1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon) beer

I put 1/2 the meat and 1/2 of the slurry in the bowl of my stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, I mixed until combined and then beat at 3 minutes on medium high.

I repeated this with the second 1/2 of the meat and slurry and then mixed the two batches together by hand.

I used my LEM stuffer to put the meat in the FB casings.

I put the sausage in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I used my A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker to cold smoke the sausage for 4 hours with hickory pellets.

I brought the sausage in and put it in my oven at 145 F for one hour. Then, I increased the temperature by 5 F every half hour until the temperature was 180 F. I cooked until the internal temperature was 155 F. I plunged the sausage into ice water for 10 minutes and then hung it for 2 hours. I put the sausage in the fridge overnight before slicing.

Here is the finished product.

The Verdict

This was very reminiscent of the sausage my neighbours served. It isn't spicy but hat has deep earthy flavours. This was particularly enhanced by the game taste of the moose. I like the result and will make this again.

Disco

Another good one Disco!

It looks delicious!

Love the color!

icon14.gif
  Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky