Moose 3-Ways (lots of pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
First of all I have to say that this was a very rewarding and fun series of cooks and I really enjoyed developing these apps to enter in Throwdown!

Introducing the moose: A buddy of mine got this up north, in the Canada landscape..... Nice bull!!!!
F0527CA9-AB08-4B7F-B4BF-671C7756D892.jpeg

If you have never had or worked with moose it is ULTRA lean (more on this later).....
C241593E-31A8-4E08-B42D-0A3201F12F92.jpeg

All salted up......the color is bright!
F2D58CC6-303F-4F17-88BD-34FC663D1649.jpeg

After 4 hours of sitting in the salt I started planning the different cooks, first step was to remove all the silver skin (you can see some in this pic).
79425EE7-0A7E-43CC-894D-0D991B203DA2.jpeg

Here it is all trimmed up and seasoned with my Asian rub (I have posted it before but will repost it later cause I made a spice change). I have found that this rub smooths rich proteins out and complements the bright flavors vs gaminess.
9958E3AA-668B-4C6B-A052-CF97422E047B.jpeg

First up is the super smoke of the fillets for the welly, ie on the RT 1250 at 180.
6BD22930-F5A9-4CDE-A55C-21E53796A4BE.jpeg

Ran them for about 90 minutes then I pulled them and chilled them in the freezer.....
2E827906-B774-4763-A85D-281685605C85.jpeg

Also prepared the smoked cream cheese while the smoker was low..... I cut them in halve to get a nice smoke and season all around.
D1CDE7AF-7987-4E7D-8468-BF454228EE1A.jpeg

Kept the RT at 180 and smoked the cheese for 2 hours....
83E5D503-D12D-41B6-AE26-39EE78D5A6E1.jpeg

Next up was the bacon wrapped kabobs.... getting them stretched out on the sticks....
90CA9ADD-7705-490D-A966-0E2CEEF3153C.jpeg

Wrapped with bacon and more rub on the outside.....
EBC80E5B-7A4F-49BA-8C1C-AAD72CAC9B49.jpeg

These went on the RT at 235....
A1F41612-C2D8-4A4A-BD63-48AF492D5416.jpeg

Now the marinated steaks.....This is a soy sauce (1/4-1/3c), 1/2 can of Coke, a little bit of sugar in the raw (Tbsp or 2), crushed garlic, and some Asian chili sauce.
18415E52-9423-4F0B-8568-D82F7638FD35.jpeg

Ok once all the other side prep work was done it was time to build the welly's.....

First up was making the duxelles, baby bellas, on shallot, salt and multi color pepper corns, Asian chilis, pureed then pan cooked till the moisture is removed, then it is chilled in the freezer...
3709C869-B500-4F6D-8D58-422C45D161B4.jpeg

Next up was adding a 1/4 cut of the smoked cheese in the steak...
918613CF-BC36-4158-AAFF-106FC97C657A.jpeg

Now a crepe and heavy fat capicola...
E558E056-2DF5-453E-99C7-B5857F88D3A4.jpeg

A thin layer of duxelles is then spread over and the cream stuffed moose roll is added on top..... note I did not add mustard as is usual to welly's cause the flavor wasn't in the Asian profile.
878F39FE-3AF8-4B20-A6C4-F61376CF3FC8.jpeg

the whole stack was then placed over a rolled out puff pastry and then rolled up tight and wrapped in plastic wrap and in the freezer (the edges were egg washed to help attached the edges..... Once cilled again they were egg/cream washed, scored, and sprinkled with fresh chopped herbs...... Since the smoker was still smoking the Kabobs, the house oven had to be used @ 425 convection bake.
8074085A-7B28-411C-A2A1-5D567BA17797.jpeg

When the wellys were in for 15 min the marinated steaks were tossed on the weber sear station for a 90 second each side sear....
C9E98959-0835-433C-BEA8-3AC2E1232437.jpeg

Pulled the kabobs when the bacon was nice and rendered but still bite through...
A5ABFE82-691B-4826-A143-0E1D83221615.jpeg

A pan full of yum.....
11CC6FDA-C507-4A74-9C70-A0644EEBC3AE.jpeg

Pulled the wellys (35 mins and a 135 INT).
FE8997DE-1004-4B13-A4DF-B0590F8808D0.jpeg
+

I had to add a close up....man talk about moose in a blanket....
F3E76FC5-3DD7-4548-9713-F8D55126C5D5.jpeg

And now the plate......(this was my alternate pic for the throwdown......
460451F5-EC72-4F95-8350-AECB75D1C708.jpeg

The blackberry reduction was 2 Tbsp of my wife's blackberry jam and a 1/2c of red wine and a pitch of salt and sugar in the raw and reduced down to a syrup.......

I will note I spent about 6 hours prep and cook time for the whole plate but I will say it was worth every minute......

Now back to the lean moose meat. In order to have moose tender and juicy you have to supplement fat and not over cook it. So the kabob was wrapped with the fattiest slices from the pack. Next the crostini, the cream cheese, and then down to the welly, it had the capicola and cream cheese....

All these were unreal, but the welly with cream cheese with blackberry was mind blowing.....I had high hopes and was more than pleasantly surprised on how well it all synced together...The Asian spices were a perfect blend to handle the moose. My buddy saw this pic and now we are scheduling a cooking lesson to teach him and his wife how to make the welly. He said my payment will be more moose.....WIN WIN!

There was a lot of cooking techniques in each of these feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to answer and I will post my new Asian recipe a bit later.

Last edited:
Nice write up on a spectacular meal Civil. That was a lot of work. Good Job

Point for sure
Chris

Nice write up on a spectacular meal Civil. That was a lot of work. Good Job

Point for sure
Chris
Many thanks Chris, I really appreciate it! I was ready to sit down and consume by the end of the day for sure but its been a long time since I just cooked all day.....It was a nice break!
Great write up and awesome food
Many thanks jcam! Congrats that was an impressive layout of food as well!
Did you mean a 9 min sear, 90 mins sounds a little long?
Oh well 90 second sear..... It should have only been a 60 second sear but man time flies with 3 things going on at the same time.......The slices could have been a bit more "red" but they were till in the zone for sure!

Your entry was very good! But now... can I just have one or two of the wellys?
Nice job on all of it!

Ryan

The apps looked amazing! Moose is a really good meat. I had it a few times as burgers, speedies, and steak. Speedies were my favorite.

Man I'm blown away! Every thing looks so good! My dad was a big moose hunter. They would fly in somewhere in Canda than be on their own until plane came back to pick them up. I would love that Asian spice recipe when you get around to it.

Phenomenal civil, nicely done! Congrats on the TD win!

BTW, I’m now encouraging my son to choose a moose hunt this fall, or heck… maybe I will try! 🤷🏼‍♂️

HOLY COW!!!! Or maybe I should say moose. What an amazing array of food and a monumental feast. Absolutely spectacular and congrats on the win. Well deserved sir.

Robert

Man I'm blown away! Every thing looks so good! My dad was a big moose hunter. They would fly in somewhere in Canda than be on their own until plane came back to pick them up. I would love that Asian spice recipe when you get around to it.
Thanks Brian! The whole flying on your own hunt would be a dream, I’ve hunted Kodiak island in AK by flying in to a lodge then boating to a different island every day. That was an epic hunt of Sitka black tails!!!

Here is the rub!
1/4c. Smoked paprika, gran Onion, gran garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp brown sugar, gran sugar
1 1/2 Tsp five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice (I have changed over to Taekyoung red pepper powder). Way cheaper than the 7 spice.
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt coarse
1 Tbsp mushroom powder - optional
1 Tbsp 1tsp tomato powder
1/2 Tbsp nori dust (1 Tbsp flakes in spice grinder).

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Very nice .
Thanks chop!
This is absolutely an incredible cook and write up!! VERY, VERY well done, Civil...
Many thanks GS! I actually didn’t watch the SB and since everyone else was meant I had free time to do this…..it was a nice beak from the norm day to day!
Your entry was very good! But now... can I just have one or two of the wellys?
Nice job on all of it!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! I will be doing them again in the spring when my buddy comes over you might need to get a plan ticket and do the dishes….lol!
You had me at Moose Wellington!!!!!!!!!! WOW! I bet that was fanfriggintastic!
Thanks Swamp! I will agree with you it was fanfiggintastic! I’ve had Wellington in HC and this is at the top of Wellys for me! The combination of the welly tones with the added smoked cream cheese left me spreechless!
The apps looked amazing! Moose is a really good meat. I had it a few times as burgers, speedies, and steak. Speedies were my favorite.
Many thanks Steve! Ok I have to ask what a speedie is?

Reactions: indaswamp
Phenomenal civil, nicely done! Congrats on the TD win!

BTW, I’m now encouraging my son to choose a moose hunt this fall, or heck… maybe I will try! 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thanks RHBBQ! The elusive Idaho Moose is worth the lotto fee in my book….. it’s truly a once in a life time experience!
Never had Moose before. This post (and pictures) has me wanting it. Looks delicious, especially the Wellington's.
The Iron Duke would be proud.
Thanks baker! Moose is a delicate protein and worth a try if you every get a chance…..I’m also a sucker for wellys!
That's some tasty looking food! I'm sure all the work was worth it
Thanks Jim! Ever since I got the moose I was having an internal debate on how to use it and then the light went on the day before I did this….it was worth it!
HOLY COW!!!! Or maybe I should say moose. What an amazing array of food and a monumental feast. Absolutely spectacular and congrats on the win. Well deserved sir.

Robert
Many thanks Robert! Holy moose Batman would work….lol! It was a feast for sure and I did so for 3 days! It has also given me quite a few more ideas for future cooks!!!

Many thanks Steve! Ok I have to ask what a speedie is?
I always spell it wrong!

I always spell it wrong!
Ok I would eat that for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky