Modified Cornell BBQ chicken recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheech

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 19, 2005
Beautiful Grand Rapids Michigan
Here it is folks one of the best BBQ chicken recipes

4 chickens
1 large egg
1 cup veg. oil
2 cups cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons coarse salt
1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In a food processor pulse with the egg in it, then add the oil next vinegar and rest of ingredients.

Place on the grill for about 5 minutes until the skin is browned up turn over and repeat

Brusk on mixture and melted butter then sprinkle with Lawrys salt turn and repeat every 15 minutes until internal temp reaches 180F

This is the best that I have had so far

I have done this recipe using white pepper. I never thought to also use melted butter and seasoned salt. How does it compare to doing it without the butter and lawrey's??

Are you using whole chickens or pieces of some sort? The original Cornell recipe by Prof Robert Baker called for split broilers. I find that smaller pieces are easier to use and get the doneness the way I want it.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I used drum sticks cause I just wanted to try it out and that is what I had.

Regarding the butter and Lawry's I believe that a lot of this is personal perference. But my wife, myself and most of the neighbors liked it better with the butter and Lawry's. If you try this the original recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of salt I used 2 and kept sprinkling with Lawry's as it cooked.

I thought that was less salt than the original. I admit I did not look at my recipe from Cornell Co-op Extension to confirm that. I will give it a try.

Thanks for the reply!

Regards,

Meowey

Cheech,

I tweaked your tweak. I put the Lawrey's Seasoned salt in the mixture instead of the plain salt. I did alternate basting with melted butter and the Cornell mixture until I ran out of melted butter and finished with just Cornell sauce. The family thought it was an improvement to an already wonderful recipe. The consensus is that the basting with butter helped keep the meat moist. I used split breasts, thighs and drummies.

Thanks for setting this in motion.

Regards,

Meowey

Good recipe !! I find your thread very informative as it describe the whole cooking process and ingredients very nicely. bbq chicken is one among my favorites and i will surely try this recipe.

http://www.recipesforbbq.com/

Last edited:
I tried the original Cornall Chicken recipe way back when I first bought my WSM, ...2 cups of cider vinegar and marinate for 24 hours, ...we couldn't eat it.

We gave this recipe a try last night, I cut back on the salt, only 1 Tbs Lawry's and used pineapple vinegar,  marinated for 5 hours trying to remain a little faithful to the original recipe (apparently Cheech and Meowey didn't marinate, looks like they just used the marinade for a glaze), warmed the butter and marinade I had saved in a 8" cast iron skillet on the Genesis and dunked thighs in it every 10 minutes as I turned them, ran out of propane with IT of 156° and finished them in the oven.  This recipe was a huge improvement over the first attempt, turned out good, nice layer of marinade and butter built up on the chicken,  ...don't know if I'll try it again, because we have other recipes we prefer more, but if you like 'vinegary' this is good.

I must thank SQWIB for turning us on to Blackberry BBQ Sauce, we make our own and love it, the sauce on the chicken helped to tone down the vinegar.

Sorry, no pics, it was late and we were hungry.

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky