Minion method question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

delearyous

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Silly question..there has been some posts about using either lump our briquetts. Lump is obviously hotter and cleaner where briquetts ashes quickly and sometimes chokes out. Would it be a good idea to light the briquetts and place in the middle of the unlit lump for a cleaner burn..thoughts? Let me guess, this is done a lot and I missed the post? Lol

A chimney will let you use either to start the charcoal but yes briquettes work...JJ

You can use the minion method with all kinds of fuel.

What type of smoker are you using?

Are you trying to do a short smoke, 1-6 hours?

Are You shooting for a longer smoke, 6-20+hours?

Lump burns hot and clean. Good for short cooks.

Briquettes burn longer then lump and if you have the right smoker ash is not a problem.

Need more info to reallly help you.

Delearyous, no issues using briquettes to start lump. I may be doing just what you've suggested on Saturday in my WSM on a rib smoke. Weather is supposed to be flat-out nasty with snow and -21*F Friday night, and a high of -2*F Saturday with winds around 11, gusts to 16...sounds like fun, huh? I figure I'll use briquettes to build up the fire and let the lump take over with a little more punch to keep the temps up.

Everything you're saying is true...more ash and slower burn from briqs...needs lots of room for ash fall-out...and ump being a hotter burn with little ash and cleaner for the minion. Briquettes smoke a lot in my past experience, until they are heated up and about to start burning on their own...the smell and taste of that dirtier smoke just doesn't get it done for me.

Eric

Last edited:
As Case said, for a better answer it would be easier if you provided more info.

I use both, but in different situations.

Al

It was just a general question I have a Weber 22" one touch.Going to get an 18" or 22"WSM depends how good Santa thought I was.Just want to hit the ground running. If there is no advantage to it, I don't do it. Just checking if anyone has tried it.Ty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky