Mini Weber smokes better than WSM...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoffmaba

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
So, I love my WSM for its ease of use but in the three years I've had it, I've always felt like my food isn't quite as smoke-flavored as it used to be when I just used a plain ol' mini Weber. Last week, I just threw some pecan chunks in my mini weber while I was grilling chicken. It was the best smoked dish I had made in a long time. 

I've tried just using more wood in the WSM but I rarely get the same taste as my mini Web. Any tips or anyone have the same kind of experience?  

I don't have a mini, but it is on my wish list on smokers I'll need in the future.   

When I use even a little water in the water pan in my WSM I get a strong smoke flavor.  Dry smoking, much more subtle.  My wife is a supertaster who doesn't care for strong smoke flavor so I dry smoke just about all the time now.  When I smoke whole chickens and turkeys I use about 1/2 gallon of water in the water pan to get the smoke flavor I love.  If it is too strong for her she can pick the skin off.

I've noticed that older wood produces much less smoke flavor in my WSM

I grill chicken on my Kettle at least once a week, usually leg quarters because they require no brining to come out juicy and flavorful.  I'll throw wood chunks on the coals.  Direct heat for a few minutes to crisp the skin, then indirect heat to the final IT of 165F to 175F.  I think you get more smoke flavor when you go indirect heat first then crisp at the end but you know the story from above (HWHL).      

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky