Meyers sausage Elgin, TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm wondering if it is actually smoked, or if they do like most commercial mass processors and use liquid smoke steam bath to stop evaporative cooling and keep the weight high?

I'm wondering if it is actually smoked, or if they do like most commercial mass processors and use liquid smoke steam bath to stop evaporative cooling and keep the weight high?
I've always wondered about that because no packaged "smoked sausage" I have ever tasted looked, or tasted, as smokey as sausages I have smoked.

Another good "Texas" style sausage is made in San Antonio by Kiolbassa. That's a family name, not a takeoff of the type of sausage. The larger HEB stores carry it for sure, our HEB Pantry store is hit or miss. They make a good Polish style pork sausage, a beef/pork sausage, some kind of sausage with cheese in it that I've never tried and an outstanding chorizo sausage that doesn't cook up into a gelatinized mess. Plus during Thanksgiving and Christmas they sell a whole smoked ham that puts most other hams to shame
Kiolbassa Smoked Meats

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I’m on Team Southside as well. They’re about a 45 minute drive on a good day. Southside’s sausage was what made me want to make my own many, many years ago. It’s a great commercial sausage.

I wouldn’t have known about them but for an episode of “man fire food” where Meyer’s was showcased and yes they are smoked in a huge commercial smoker, talking 5000# at a time! With a built in cold water rinse at the finish to set the casing and cool the batch. Was crazy cool to watch.

good post.

Sounds like mild extends much further than what we call "MN bland"?
Just got back into sausage, but after many years of curing whole muscle, my problem is getting enough salt and sweet to make others happy. Wife and I prefer no sugar and very low salt.
Good luck on your search.
I’ll tell you this, you can taste the meat more than spice or salt. Novel concept for me. Most of my sausages are flavorful, meaning the meat is the bite but flavor is what I want it to be, with exception to my Lisiecka style sausage that I do, that one is all pork and meat flavor forward, excellent sausage. Do a search for it on site, very worthy.

Reactions: Retired Spook
yes they are smoked in a huge commercial smoker, talking 5000# at a time! With a built in cold water rinse at the finish to set the casing and cool the batch. Was crazy cool to watch.
Hmmm....wonder what the RH% is while smoking??? And how long on smoke?

Not many commercial producers still use real smoke.

Hmmm....wonder what the RH% is while smoking??? And how long on smoke?

Not many commercial producers still use real smoke.
As you can imagine the video doesn’t get deep into process just the big steps but they have it figured out and the smoker is a commercial one not homemade so I’m sure they have control over all perimeters. I’ll see if I can find a link to that episode.

So I finally remembered to pick up a pack of Meyer's originals - I think they are darned good sausages - not Polish sausages (Meyer's are ground a bit finer than I prefer) - but real darned good nevertheless!!! I am pleasantly surprised to find a Texas sausage that is all pork!

Thank you for pointing them out sir!

So I finally remembered to pick up a pack of Meyer's originals - I think they are darned good sausages - not Polish sausages (Meyer's are ground a bit finer than I prefer) - but real darned good nevertheless!!! I am pleasantly surprised to find a Texas sausage that is all pork!

Thank you for pointing them out sir!
I won’t say it’s the best I’ve ever tasted, it is very mild spice wise and very pork forward in flavor, but the original is delicious. The other flavors I’ve tried are real straight forward and delicious as well. I’m glad you picked some up.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I won’t say it’s the best I’ve ever tasted, it is very mild spice wise and very pork forward in flavor, but the original is delicious. The other flavors I’ve tried are real straight forward and delicious as well. I’m glad you picked some up.
I've definately become a sasuage snob after making so many at home - I can hardly eat a store bought "Italian" sausage. But while Meyer's was pretty darned good, for store bought, they do not match up to my homemade Polish sausages. But I guess that is true of anything anymore.

Nevertheless, at least I can eat the Meyer's original without being reminded of a hot dog! :emoji_laughing:

I've definately become a sasuage snob after making so many at home - I can hardly eat a store bought "Italian" sausage. But while Meyer's was pretty darned good, for store bought, they do not match up to my homemade Polish sausages. But I guess that is true of anything anymore.

Nevertheless, at least I can eat the Meyer's original without being reminded of a hot dog! :emoji_laughing:
Keep in mind this was all about me finding a baseline for the masses as far as the palette for sausage. No doubt my sausage blows Meyer’s out of the water, but this helps me make my sausage more appealing to the majority of people.

As a side note, the owner of the largest meat processor in my area who provides everything from the kill, chill, process of animals and all USDA inspected to the cut wrap package including sausage and cure meats, has had my meats at private parties and is very impressed. He thinks I need to go custom. He personally would buy my product. So there you go.

Around here most joints serve a mass produced sausage and I'm always let down by it. If you nail the salt, and you aren't flat out too spicy(heat wise), I think there's a lot of room where the public will dig it. There's probably an optimum fat level too.

The weather hasn't been great so I have been browning these Meyer's Originals in a skillet and as I said they are pretty darned good - I think they may be my new favorite store-bought non-Italian sausages. Real nice pork taste, mild on the spices but tasty, not overly salty, and perfect fat content (I loathe dry sausages).

I bought two packages today :emoji_laughing:

I'm going to cook a few over some mesquite coals tomorrow and I will report after I eat them! I only wish they made them 6-inches long to fill up a roll real nice...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky