Meyers sausage Elgin, TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I recently received a large variety package from Meyer’s sausage just to try as they seem fairly popular in Texas. I was surprised as to how tame the flavors were. Salt was lower, meat flavor was prominent and spices were very balanced. Definitely not artisan sausage but very solid eating sausage.

To those who have eaten this brand, what say you?

IMG_1485.jpeg

Nope, don't have it here in west Houston H-E-B. We do get Prasek's, which I think is pretty good. Also Holmes and Chappel Hill are decent I guess.

I read that Elgin TX is "known" as the Sausage Capital of Texas. It's what Google Maps says anyhow...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks for the feedback guys. It is appreciated.

They're right up the road a few clicks from me. Pretty decent sausages, mild like you mentioned, but I sure wish they would make an all pork polish sausage, MAN I miss them...
The Original Smoked sausage is in fact all pork. And does have a pronounced porky flavor.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is appreciated.

The Original Smoked sausage is in fact all pork. And does have a pronounced porky flavor.
😳 Well I'll be... I never knew they made an all pork real sausage! They sure do not carry it in HEB 🤬

I am going to have to drive up there and get me some!

Well I'll be double... I just looked on HEB curbside pickup and they say they HAVE Meyers Original... I will be there bright and early tomorrow AM to see if this is, in fact, a fact. If not I will head into Elgin and get me some.

Technically, Meyer's is German sausage, but I won't hold that against them :emoji_laughing:

Nevertheless, I am not a great fan of beef sausage - I prefer pork sausage - Italian or Polish, grilled. But I have tried other Meyer's sausages and like I said they aren't bad at all.

Well I'll be double... I just looked on HEB curbside pickup and they say they HAVE Meyers Original... I will be there bright and early tomorrow AM to see if this is, in fact, a fact. If not I will head into Elgin and get me some.

Technically, Meyer's is German sausage, but I won't hold that against them :emoji_laughing:

Nevertheless, I am not a great fan of beef sausage - I prefer pork sausage - Italian or Polish, grilled. But I have tried other Meyer's sausages and like I said they aren't bad at all.
IMG_1486.jpeg

This is the ingredients of the original recipe. Supposed to be what started it all. They brought the recipe over from Germany. Nice pork flavor, otherwise very mild in all respects. Low salt too, guessing no more than 1.5%

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks like their retail shot straight over Kentucky. They have one in Tn, and several in Oh. but none here in Ky.

Looks like their retail shot straight over Kentucky. They have one in Tn, and several in Oh. but none here in Ky.
They ship to Colorado. Pricey but just wanted to try this since it it is wildly successful. My takeaway is that less is more. Very simple straightforward sausage.

The “hot” is the same with cayenne pepper, but just right. The garlic is a pork beef mix tastes mild and garlic is spot on. Also got the jalapeño cheddar, it’s same mild theme. Got 2 different summer sausages, both good but again very simple. This is good to know info.

There is a brand of sausage sold in HEB labeled "Better Than Good" - it's an HEB product but it is, pretty darned good. They have Better Than Good bacon too, and that is the flat-out best bacon I ever purchased anywhere.

Nothing beats home made home smoked bacon, but that better Than Good bacon is darned good.

I’m trying to get a baseline for general consumption. Been making sausage a long time but in a artisan style. It’s delicious but not everyone is crazy about it. Lots of folks are crazy about my sausage but the masses are hit and miss. I want to make something everyone is happy with for a venture I’m headed into. The Meyer’s sausage reminds me of a simple salt and pepper based sausage. And I guess people love it. Simple enough.

Lots of folks are crazy about my sausage but the masses are hit and miss. I want to make something everyone is happy with for a venture I’m headed into. The Meyer’s sausage reminds me of a simple salt and pepper based sausage. And I guess people love it. Simple enough.
I reckon something closer to (but a step above) store bought than what we custom make for ourselves makes sense as far as marketability.

My idea of the perfect sausage is pure pork shoulder, 70% 30% fat, with salt, pepper, chopped fresh garlic, granulated onion and brown sugar, stuffed in 35mm natural hog casings, then smoked - preferably over hickory - to a nice mahogany color.

Then grilled - man I'm hungry...

Last edited:
I reckon something closer to (but a step above) store bought than what we custom make for ourselves makes sense as far as marketability.
After all my years of eating my sausage, I wanted a baseline for making people generally happy. So I mail ordered this Meyer’s sausage. Much more mild is my biggest takeaway.

I've mail ordered Southside Market sausage which is also in Elgin but can't find Meyer's where I'm at. I prefer a mostly beef link but I'm coming around on the all-pork. I bought the fresh sausage and hot smoked it and it was great.

good post.
After all my years of eating my sausage, I wanted a baseline for making people generally happy. So I mail ordered this Meyer’s sausage. Much more mild is my biggest takeaway.
Sounds like mild extends much further than what we call "MN bland"?
Just got back into sausage, but after many years of curing whole muscle, my problem is getting enough salt and sweet to make others happy. Wife and I prefer no sugar and very low salt.
Good luck on your search.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky