Mexican Drumstick Lollipops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
One of my problems with smoking meat is that meat is expensive. I am cheap, what can I say? Chicken drumsticks are still almost affordable but what classy way can you make drumsticks? Turn them into lollipops. They look great and are way easier to eat with the ligaments cut off the lower part of the meat.

I made some Mexican seasonings. Warning, this is not a taco or chili seasoning. It has herbs and a big onion/garlic hit with just a little heat. Feel free to use any seasoning blend you like.

The seasoning mixture is:
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) paprika
  • 10 ml (2 tsp) dried parsley
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) oregano
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) Kosher salt
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) onion powder
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) garlic powder
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) cumin
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) ground coriander
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) black pepper
  • 4 ml (3/4 tsp) chili powder
  • 4 ml (3/4 tsp) crushed dried chilies
Note the fancy calligraphy on my custom spice bottle.

Mexican Seasonings 2.jpg

I took 8 drumsticks and sliced around the bone about 1 1/2 inches above the knuckle. The idea is to separate the tendon connections from the rest of the meat.

I pulled the skin over the knuckle and cut out any ligaments with shears. I cut the top of the drumstick to make a flat spot so the drumsticks would stand up.

I cut the knuckle off with poultry shears.

Mexican Drumstick Lollipops 1.jpg

I sprinkled the drumsticks with the seasonings. I put 25 ml (2 tbsp) melted butter and 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil in a small roasting pan and stood the drumsticks in the pan. I smoked at 230 F for about 1 hour and 15 minutes (IT was 155).

Mexican Drumstick Lollipops 2.jpg

I increased the pellet smoker to 400 f and took the drumsticks in.

I brushed the drumsticks with the drippings in the pan and sprinkled with seasonings again. I put them back in the pan and smoked at 400 F for about 25 minutes to get a nice colour. I let them rest and plated them.

Mexican Drumstick Lollipops 4.jpg

Here is the finished product.

lollipops.jpg

The Verdict

If you like dry wings, you will like these. There is a nice skin with a good seasoning hit but not much heat. The meat bites of the bone easily with the ligaments removed. These are a great appetizer or light meal.

I did a video of this cook:

Disco

Very nice! When you said you cut the ligaments, did you just cut the tops off basically? I may have to try that next time. I have been using a pair of pliers to pull them all of the way out and it is a pain! And so I've only done this a few times because of the work. Plus pliers pull out some of the meat and there isn't a ton on drumsticks to start! (Disclaimer: I have other pairs for fishing, don't worry!)

Very nice! When you said you cut the ligaments, did you just cut the tops off basically? I may have to try that next time. I have been using a pair of pliers to pull them all of the way out and it is a pain! And so I've only done this a few times because of the work. Plus pliers pull out some of the meat and there isn't a ton on drumsticks to start! (Disclaimer: I have other pairs for fishing, don't worry!)
Cut just where the meat starts to thicken. Slice all the way around the bone and work the skin over the knuckle. This usually leaves a few ligaments straggling. Take some shear and cut the ligaments just above where the white of the ligament ends.

Looks great Disco! I’m a leg guy. Love good chicken legs. Yes they are cheap here too. Picked up several bulk packs the other day for 0.78/pound. I put 8 in a vac pack and freeze them for later.

I’ll be trying Your rub. Sounds good.

Looks great Disco! I’m a leg guy. Love good chicken legs. Yes they are cheap here too. Picked up several bulk packs the other day for 0.78/pound. I put 8 in a vac pack and freeze them for later.

I’ll be trying Your rub. Sounds good.
Thanks, Case. This was a bulk purchase too and I just did the second half wet. They are even better!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky