MES40 diffuser plate?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wesir

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 28, 2014
Greenwood, IN
I usually run water in my MES40 but saw a bunch of people saying to just fill it with sand to retain heat, got me wondering on if there would be benefit to instead cut a sheet of metal and slot it into there for retention as well as maybe removing the hot spot above the heating element. Anyone tried this? Home depot has 24"x24" plain sheet metal for about $50 that seems like it would do the job but I also have my old diffuser from the yoder that I could cut as well (though my jigsaw would probably be crying)

My MES is only ever used for snack sticks/summer sausage so the hot spot on the right is kinda annoying.

Last edited:
While you're at it, you could flip the element over to place it more in the center. A fun winter project.

Last edited:
I'd say give it a shot,do a smoke and report back.MES mods are always welcome here.

Back when I had the MES40 I never put water in the pan because it got too humid. Based on Bearcarver Bearcarver ’s recommendation I just foiled the pan for easy cleaning. But, tinkering is fun.

You may want to read through this from Bear. It has most of MES questions covered!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/masterbuilt-smokers-bear’s-thoughts-findings.235820/

Good luck!

Last edited:
I also have my old diffuser from the yoder that I could cut as well (though my jigsaw would probably be crying)
A cheap 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel should do it. I don't generally promote buying tools on the cheap, but if it is something that will see little use, no point in buying a good one.

A cheap 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel should do it. I don't generally promote buying tools on the cheap, but if it is something that will see little use, no point in buying a good one.
I actually have a dewalt one but the garage is filled with cardboard boxes so shooting sparks all over probably isn't the best idea.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky