MES30 not burning chips hack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Going on 9 years ago I got my first MES Unit.
I used to open the door now & then to drop the Smoker Temp low enough to make the heat come on to make the chips smoke. I was about ready to call it quits!!
Then Todd Johnson invented the AMNS, which burned sawdust slowly & perfectly, up to about 200°-220° Smoker temp.
Then he invented the AMNPS, which burns Pellets or Sawdust at any Temp my MES puts out.
I Never Looked Back, and my MES & the AMNPS are Truly a Match Made in Smoker Heaven!!!
Thank You Todd!!!

Bear

Back again..
Got my 30 and the 3 row Amazing.. where are you guys placing the amazing? Only place it fits is on a shelf, seem just a bit too wide to fit on bottom tray..

Back again..
Got my 30 and the 3 row Amazing.. where are you guys placing the amazing? Only place it fits is on a shelf, seem just a bit too wide to fit on bottom tray..
The amnps was designed for the original gen 1 MES30 20070910 which had two rails on the left side as you can see in the photo. I believe you would be better off with the AMNTS in this case :/

Oh and for the record, my modified fan mod fits the MES40 :)

Attachments

• 92FBC8E2-0D7C-416B-AB00-975C9FA5B2C9.jpeg
    92FBC8E2-0D7C-416B-AB00-975C9FA5B2C9.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 232EF2F4-C7C5-4C71-8994-DEC67C090D21.jpeg
    232EF2F4-C7C5-4C71-8994-DEC67C090D21.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 87E19295-D248-4A33-AD21-7905931315AB.jpeg
    87E19295-D248-4A33-AD21-7905931315AB.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 53
Back again..

Where it goes depends on which Generation MES you have.
Do you know?

On Edit: If you have the MES you showed back in November of 2010, that is a Generation #1. The AMNPS was designed to fit on the support rods in the bottom, to the left of the Chip burner assembly.

Bear

Last edited:
My AMNPS goes in my MOD box and feeds through an 8' X 3" aluminum dryer vent tube to a 3" elbow into the stripped out chip feeder native hole.
All the sm00ke, no creosote, and no ash inside the MES 30. And I can fiddle with the smoke source without disturbing the MES box. ;) And the MES heater maintains the IT of the oven, without trying to make sm00ke.
Crazy like a fox I are. Everybodies mileage varies.... :)

A simple AMNTS mod would be to get a 3"x24" snap lock rigid aluminum vent tube @ $3.00 and stick it in the chip loader hole and support the other end. Get a couple steel rods than slide through the AMNTS perf steel holes that are about 2-7/8" long to suspend the AMNTS inside the vent tube. It's in the intake draft like the mailbox mod without the mailbox.

Somehow I knew this thread would start an add-on smolder smoker advertisement. My point was how to avoid buying more devices for a device that only struggles in the heat. My MES has no problem burning chips except for when the outdoor temps are above 85-90 F.

Also, I dont really mind adding chips and checking things every now and then 30-60 minutes-ish. With the electric smoker, the cord could be accidentally loosened, the breaker trip...the remote for this smoker can accidentally turn the unit off if mishandled somehow or touched the wrong way without noticing it. Keeping an eye on it, to me, just makes sense and I dont find adding chips to be some laborious duty. Pull chip pan out, handful or two of chips in, insert chip pan and rotate...I find this to be easy and simple. I'm usually dong something else around the house when smoking anyway, I'm nearby.

In the few times I've done this, I've never blown ash all over the box, in fact the thought never occurred to me which tells me I saw nothing of the sort after using the torch. The only concern I had was damaging something around the element, but further inspection showed its unlikely.

Somehow I knew this thread would start an add-on smolder smoker advertisement. My point was how to avoid buying more devices for a device that only struggles in the heat. My MES has no problem burning chips except for when the outdoor temps are above 85-90 F.

Also, I dont really mind adding chips and checking things every now and then 30-60 minutes-ish. With the electric smoker, the cord could be accidentally loosened, the breaker trip...the remote for this smoker can accidentally turn the unit off if mishandled somehow or touched the wrong way without noticing it. Keeping an eye on it, to me, just makes sense and I dont find adding chips to be some laborious duty. Pull chip pan out, handful or two of chips in, insert chip pan and rotate...I find this to be easy and simple. I'm usually dong something else around the house when smoking anyway, I'm nearby.

In the few times I've done this, I've never blown ash all over the box, in fact the thought never occurred to me which tells me I saw nothing of the sort after using the torch. The only concern I had was damaging something around the element, but further inspection showed its unlikely.

If you're happy with the results you're getting by putting chips and/or chunks in the MES chip drawer that's Great---Keep doing that.
The problem that normally arrises when using the built-in smoke generator isn't just having to bother loading it every 30 minutes or so.
The problems are the fact that it stops smoking when the heating element stops, which happens more often in the Summer, but is still a problem in other seasons.
The biggest problem is the lack of consistent smoke, such as:
No smoke when starting out. Then light smoke, Then Nice Smoke, Then Heavy Smoke, Then Too Heavy Smoke, Then Heavy again, Then Nice Smoke, Then Light Smoke, Back to No Smoke. Then reload & start the whole cycle again.
That "Too Heavy Smoke" can cause Bitter tasting food, even if it only happens a few times & for only short times.

The AMNPS, when fully loaded, and properly lit can give you up to 11 hours of perfect smoke without touching it for those 11 hours.

However like I said, "If you are happy with your results, stick to whatever you are doing."
Don't fix what isn't broken.
8 years ago, after trying things like opening my door every now & then to drop the heat enough for the heating element to come on more often, and only putting 3 or 4 chips in at a time to avoid the real heavy smoke & bad taste, I was about to give up on Smoking with my first MES, but Todd invented the first AMNS just in time to save my Smoking ability. I never looked back at putting chips through that side tube, and it's been a Pleasure.

Bear

Reactions: SonnyE

By all means, if yours works for what you want to do with it, help yourself.
Mine would not. And for many of the reasons many here do modifications to perfect the functions.
So do carry on, carrying on.

I had no need for a torch before so that was my first device I had to buy. I made a tube smoke generator from stuff around the house for pellets for cold smoking in my grill and kamado before I got an Mes. Then I won a AMNTS, Pitmasters Choice pellets and Qmatz from Todd. Then bought a Mes Gen 1 40". Since I did things backwards I have never used chips in the Mes. So I never had to buy chips and when reordering pellets from Todd I got the AMNPS for lighter perfect smoke for long or short smokes. The kicker is that I gave this setup to my daughter and son in law with mailbox mod so I got to buy/build everything again. The next devices you'll inevitably buy are high heat quick disconnect lugs for the heating element which I immediately replaced on my new smoker after seasoning and confident there were no mfg defects. Both my Mes' I've owned are identical Gen 1 40" and both maxed at 255*F so I bought a PID device to get 275* or a little higher. Recently my appliance extension cord corroded and failed so I bought a new one of those devices. I should be good for quite some time. I hope.

Reactions: SonnyE
I had no need for a torch before so that was my first device I had to buy. I made a tube smoke generator from stuff around the house for pellets for cold smoking in my grill and kamado before I got an Mes. Then I won a AMNTS, Pitmasters Choice pellets and Qmatz from Todd. Then bought a Mes Gen 1 40". Since I did things backwards I have never used chips in the Mes. So I never had to buy chips and when reordering pellets from Todd I got the AMNPS for lighter perfect smoke for long or short smokes. The kicker is that I gave this setup to my daughter and son in law with mailbox mod so I got to buy/build everything again. The next devices you'll inevitably buy are high heat quick disconnect lugs for the heating element which I immediately replaced on my new smoker after seasoning and confident there were no mfg defects. Both my Mes' I've owned are identical Gen 1 40" and both maxed at 255*F so I bought a PID device to get 275* or a little higher. Recently my appliance extension cord corroded and failed so I bought a new one of those devices. I should be good for quite some time. I hope.

You Lucky dog Doctor K!

I've long had a soldering torch around. I use it on one of those 1 pound propane cylinders like camp stoves, propane BBQ's, and the likes use.
So it can definitely move stuff around and blow ash around, as well as fire up brickettes.
Ain't no crack pipe/kitchen magician cutesy torch for browning up whipped cream.

It's a Manly Match. ;)

bernzomatic-torches-tanks-328626-64_1000.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky