MES won’t stop heating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am not that good with boards either but DC from rectifier supplies relay coil across transistor and AC supplies power to heater across relay normally open contacts...
Yeah, I understand that.
I just talked to a friend that does know PCB repair. A transistor can be a issue here. I'm still thinking the contacts were welded and freed up. That I've seen numerous times. I'm waiting to see if he is still having trouble.

Reactions: dernektambura
Well...? What is it? Don't keep us in the dark... You realize this is international USA/Canada joint attempt to fix problem you have...lol... Steve H and I trying to troubleshoot "chit" out of "MESs" (mayhem) you have..lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: jdk2007
Hi there and welcome!

I'd totally seize this opportunity to drastically improve the smoker by building or using a PID controller, hell it sounds like the MES has done half the work for you already ;) hahhaha

With a PID controller you can hold temp within 1-3 degrees. Could then confidently do sausage, bacon, and low temp cold smokes. Also your smoker will be like 10x better performing then it ever was brand new. Just sayin :D

Hi there and welcome!

I'd totally seize this opportunity to drastically improve the smoker by building or using a PID controller, hell it sounds like the MES has done half the work for you already ;) hahhaha

With a PID controller you can hold temp within 1-3 degrees. Could then confidently do sausage, bacon, and low temp cold smokes. Also your smoker will be like 10x better performing then it ever was brand new. Just sayin :D
word of wisdom.... I second that...

Reactions: Steve H and tallbm
Thanks for all the support! You guys are awesome! . After seeing that the relay was open i thought maybe it freed up and then it would work but not the case. Same issue. Plugged in power cord and instantly started heating. Sounds like you guys agree it has to be something in the circuit board. Relay probably. Or transistor but I don’t know what else it could be. Smoker model is 20071914
and can’t find a board that exactly matches for that. I’m no electrical expert either though...

I like the sound of using a PID but don’t I still need that main circuit board to be functioning first?

There are only 2 things after the relay. Which is the high limit switch and the heater.
View attachment 473476
Unless with all the bumping around the smoker took while you were investigating the issue. The contacts freed up.
Are you using the same outlet as you have been?

Used a couple different outlets

...Smoker model is 20071914 and can’t find a board that exactly matches for that. ...
Yeah, Zwiller's simple 2-screw board isn't associated with that model. Somewhat consistent with you saying yours was riveted in. They sell the top-mounted digital control and microprocessor for yours but it appears the power components aren't available.
Have you called them? If you're comfortable drilling out rivets, you could ask if the old board can perhaps be made to work. Or they may have parts not listed on their website...you just have to ask for them.

Try checking your element leads to ground. It is possible if one side is grounded the element will heat. If you do not have a gfi outlet or are somehow bypassing it, such a condition could go undetected.

Reactions: jdk2007
Thanks for all the support! You guys are awesome! . After seeing that the relay was open i thought maybe it freed up and then it would work but not the case. Same issue. Plugged in power cord and instantly started heating. Sounds like you guys agree it has to be something in the circuit board. Relay probably. Or transistor but I don’t know what else it could be. Smoker model is 20071914
and can’t find a board that exactly matches for that. I’m no electrical expert either though...

I like the sound of using a PID but don’t I still need that main circuit board to be functioning first?

If you do the simple rewire underneath at the circuit board (cut ends off 4 wires and splice to make 2 wires) you completely cut the circuit board at the bottom out of the loop. This also cuts the top controller out of the loop too since it wires to the circuit board at the bottom :)

You could try just going with it how it is now since its powering to the heating element... but in my mind something is already screwy and failing to cause that so may as well just do the quick rewire around it and not have to worry about the board failing even more when u have a PID controller :)

Yes you can... you will need PID and SSR...
Hook up your existing TC to PID...
Hook alarm from PID to SSR
Hook existing heater to SSR...

Here is my setup for kamado..

20201204_145013.jpg
20201204_145034.jpg

Thanks again for the help I will see what I can do
If you need a detailed writeup on the simple rewire to use a PID with an MES here you go! :)

Reactions: chopsaw and zwiller
If you need a detailed writeup on the simple rewire to use a PID with an MES here you go! :)

I admit, I didn't read all 10 pages and I may be wrong and please correct me if I'm wrong but in your description of rewiring MES write up (first post) you basically bypassed (dummied) control board and got a same result and symptoms as what jdk2007 dealing with... I didn't see PID and SSR included in rewiring to make MES fully functional...

I actually did read all 10 pages this AM and dernektambura dernektambura you are correct it's a bypass and result is same as OP. PID for $28 shipped. Just need to do the bypass.

I actually did read all 10 pages this AM and dernektambura dernektambura you are correct it's a bypass and result is same as OP. PID for $28 shipped. Just need to do the bypass.

Unless, I am wrong cuz my mind is set to build instead of buying "plug and play"... I was looking for PID ( proportional integral derivate ) and SSR and never thought about DTS ( Digital temp. controler )...my bad...
tallbm tallbm rewire works perfect if rewired MES is plugged in to Inkbird nd Inkbird plugged in to outlet... good stuff...

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky