MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

I got these Pictures together in the hopes of helping people to be able to tell the various MES Generations apart, when buying or discussing the MES units.
A lot of people ask, “Which is the best one, How can I tell which one is which, etc, etc”.
This Thread should help with the identification of the MES Units.

For my Thoughts & Findings on the various Generations, and which I consider the best, go to:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)

Hope this helps,

Bear

Note: I sold my MES 30, so I will have to use internet Pics for the MES 30:

This is an Early model of the Gen #1 MES 30 (Note the square corners on the Control Box on top).
The Top Vent is on the back right corner of the Top. The door is hinged on the right side:
View attachment 340536

This is the inside of a Gen #1 MES 30. Note the Large Water Pan.
The AMNPS was designed specifically to fit on the support rods to the left of the Chip burner assembly:
View attachment 340537

Here are 2 MES 40 units. The one on the Right is a Gen #1. The one on the Left is a Gen #2:
Note the Window in the Gen #2 is larger than to Window in the Gen #1:
View attachment 340538

This is the top of a Newer MES 40 Gen #1. Notice the rounded corners on the Control Box on top:
The top Vent is on the back right corner of the top:
View attachment 340539

This is the inside of the MES 40 Gen #1.
The Water Pan is nearly full width.
Note the Aluminum plate setting on the right side of the Water Pan. I use that to push heat from the right to the left in the Smoker.
This is needed because the heat comes from the bottom right, & the top vent is in the back right corner of the top.
Without the Heat deflector the heat rises from the heating element, and goes directly to the Top Vent, and out:
View attachment 340540

This is an MES 40 Gen #2. Note the Controls are built into the front of the top of the Smoker:
View attachment 340541

Inside of the MES 40 Gen #2. Note the Slanted Drip Plate, higher on the Right, with a hole on the left end for a small Water Pan.
I removed the small water pan & put a foil pan under the hole. Then I can set my AMNPS over the hole in the Drip Plate:
View attachment 340542

The Top Vent on a Gen #2 MES is on the Left side wall, instead of in the top:
View attachment 340543

Generation #2.5 MES 40. The strap is just to keep it from blowing over in a strong wind.
The Door is the same as the door on the Gen #2:
View attachment 340544

Inside of the MES 40 Gen #2.5. Note the Split level Water Pan (Deeper left side than right side).
Note: I have since found the right side of the bottom rack to be a better place for the Amazing Smoker: (In the Gen #2.5)
View attachment 340545

Top of the MES 40 Gen #2.5. Note the top vent has been moved to the back left corner of the top.
View attachment 340546

Closeup of the Control panel of the MES 40 Gen #2.5. Note the Sun shield that snaps on to reduce sun glare on the panel.
View attachment 340547

I think I'm making this harder than it needs to be but I don't see reference to my smoker nor is it even on the masterbuilt.com web site. I still am not positive what Gen it is. It is an MES 30" Model # 20071317

masterbuilt-pro-smokers-20071317-64_1000.jpg

masterbuilt-pro-smokers-20071317-e1_1000.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm making this harder than it needs to be but I don't see reference to my smoker nor is it even on the masterbuilt.com web site. I still am not positive what Gen it is. It is an MES 30" Model # 20071317

That one wasn't out when I Started this Thread.

However it is a Hybrid:
It has the exterior of a Gen #1, including the Newer "rounded" control box, and is hinged right.
And it has the Interior of a Gen #2.5, including the Split Level Water Pan.

Bear[/QUOTE]

Bear - Just found this on Cabela's. Seems to be the Gen 2.5 without the window which I think I prefer. Cabela's also offers a "lifetime grantee" on Cabela's branded items. Is $279 a good deal for this unit? I don't want a remote or a window so I think this should fit the bill.

Will this thing be wide enough to lay a rack of ribs or full packer brisket in? Any cons to buying it through Cabelas?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-40-black-smoker-by-masterbuilt/1934608.uts#BVQAWidgetID

Attachments

• 40 Cabelas.JPG
    40 Cabelas.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 73
Bear - Just found this on Cabela's. Seems to be the Gen 2.5 without the window which I think I prefer. Cabela's also offers a "lifetime grantee" on Cabela's branded items. Is $279 a good deal for this unit? I don't want a remote or a window so I think this should fit the bill.

Will this thing be wide enough to lay a rack of ribs or full packer brisket in? Any cons to buying it through Cabelas?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-40-black-smoker-by-masterbuilt/1934608.uts#BVQAWidgetID

Yup---Looks like a Black MES40 Gen #2.5. Bluetooth.

I would say if you want an MES with no window, that would be the best one you can get, and it's hard to find a better price.
Most racks of Ribs should fit without cutting them, and it depends on the Brisket.
The Racks are about 20" wide.

Bear

Hello all - I'm thinking about buying a MES40, in addition to the MAK 1 pellet smoker I already have. The reason I want it is for lower temp smokes (MAK doesn't go below 170-180), such as cheese, jerky, bacon etc. Also maybe fore some wings, jalapeno poppers and that kind of stuff. Would the MES40 be a good buy for this use, or should I not bother with it and just use the MAK?

Also - I just got a AMZN tube smoker for cheese, which I was going to use in my MAK. But I found a couple comments where folks thought it created too much smoke in comparison to the AMNPS. I'm at about 500 ft elevation. Any advice?

Thank you!
Rog

Hello all - I'm thinking about buying a MES40, in addition to the MAK 1 pellet smoker I already have. The reason I want it is for lower temp smokes (MAK doesn't go below 170-180), such as cheese, jerky, bacon etc. Also maybe fore some wings, jalapeno poppers and that kind of stuff. Would the MES40 be a good buy for this use, or should I not bother with it and just use the MAK?

Also - I just got a AMZN tube smoker for cheese, which I was going to use in my MAK. But I found a couple comments where folks thought it created too much smoke in comparison to the AMNPS. I'm at about 500 ft elevation. Any advice?

Thank you!
Rog

Yes, it would be a great smoker for those items & most anything else.
If you want to see the things it can do, go to the bottom of this post & click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

I'm one of those who thinks the Tube puts out too much smoke, but I'm only at about 380 ft above sea level too.
My AMNPS Tray is perfect for me here.
Since you're getting the Tube for your other smoker, give it a try---Maybe you'll be happy with that amount of smoke.

Bear

Hey Bear - appreciate the quick reply. I'm going to jump into the Step by Steps right now. I think I'll pull the trigger and get a 2.5 gen from Sams Club (I only know what that means because of your posts, so thank you!). I'll add the AMNPS tray too. I haven't used the tube yet, so I may just return that one.

And thank you for your service.

The tube does put out alot of smoke . I went to a mailbox setup but still have to watch it . Depends on the day , and how hard you light it . Like the rest of it , your'e going to have to learn what works for you . Have fun .

Bear,
You stated that the MES 2.0 is the only bad model that MES made. Unfortunately I have one of them with the change that moved the vent to the left top.
What are the problems with the 2.0. What needs to be changed to improve it and to use the AMNPS tray?

Thanks

Bear,
You stated that the MES 2.0 is the only bad model that MES made. Unfortunately I have one of them with the change that moved the vent to the left top.
What are the problems with the 2.0. What needs to be changed to improve it and to use the AMNPS tray?

Thanks

Since you have the vent on the left Top, one of the problems isn't yours.
The worst thing is generally that stupid slanted drip plate with the little water pan hanging from it.
What usually happens is the heat gets partially trapped under that slanted plate. Then it naturally slides uphill to the right side, and seeps around the sides of the plate at that upper end, causing the right side of the smoker to be hotter than the left.

My Recommendation is to pull the slated Drip plate out & set it aside.
Then put the bottom rack in & put a Foil pan in the middle of that rack to catch drips.
Then if you're using an AMNPS, put it on the far right of that bottom rack.
Then if your AMNPS needs more air flow, pull the chip dumper out a few inches. If it needs less air flow push the dumper back in.

That should help.

Bear

Thanks.
Do I need to have a pan or something over the AMNPS to keep drippings from getting on it?

I usually try to keep anything that will drip away from directly above the AMNPS.
Or put anything above in a pan.
Or I cut a 9 X 11" Foil pan in half lengthwise, and turn first half upside down above the AMNPS, and save the other half for when the first half gets al splattered up with drips.

Bear

where is the thermometer located in these MES units that controls the element turning on and off? I have been testing a borrowed unit from my boss and the temp on the MES and the tested temps on my Maverick are about 30 degrees apart or more. They start pretty close together, but the higher the temp the bigger the temp differential. is this common? I am picking up my own MES40 later today and am wondering if this is something I will have to learn to live with or since his was a gen 1, will my new gen 2.5 have addressed this issue?

where is the thermometer located in these MES units that controls the element turning on and off? I have been testing a borrowed unit from my boss and the temp on the MES and the tested temps on my Maverick are about 30 degrees apart or more. They start pretty close together, but the higher the temp the bigger the temp differential. is this common? I am picking up my own MES40 later today and am wondering if this is something I will have to learn to live with or since his was a gen 1, will my new gen 2.5 have addressed this issue?

The heat sensor is located near the center of the back wall. It looks like a little Toggle switch.
There are a few reasons for the difference between the MES temp read-out & the Maverick.
Things like the fact that the MES sensor is attached to the back wall, and the Maverick probe is Free of such a thing.
The placement of the Maverick probe, compared to the fixed place of the MES Sensor.
And the Maverick is also just more accurate.

As long as you know how much difference there is, you can allow for it when setting your MES to get the proper temps your Maverick can tell you about.

Here's more info, if interested:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
Avoid Temp Swings in MES

Bear

Reactions: jimmyinsd
Thanks Bear for compiling this info. I just bought an MES40 Gen 2.5 w/ Bluetooth after my last smoker bit the dust. I am really pleased with how it performs, but I was discouraged I had to refill the chip tray every 30-45 minutes. (I've always used chunks in my previous smokers) I've got an AMNPS on the way to solve that problem and now know how best to use it with this model.

Thanks Bear for compiling this info. I just bought an MES40 Gen 2.5 w/ Bluetooth after my last smoker bit the dust. I am really pleased with how it performs, but I was discouraged I had to refill the chip tray every 30-45 minutes. (I've always used chunks in my previous smokers) I've got an AMNPS on the way to solve that problem and now know how best to use it with this model.

That's Great, DJ !!
That's a Real Good Model !!
Being from Colorado, I hope your altitude isn't too high for that AMNPS.
High Altitudes call for the AMNTS (Tube).

Bear

You know, I was just looking at this to reference another thread and I have no idea what Generation of smoker I have now.

I have the Gen 1 Window and vent location. The controls look Gen 1. But it has the interior of the Gen 2.5. Do I have some frankenstein unit?

Note: I have what they call the Adventurer Series 40 inch. I'm not sure if that is the base series we all refer to as the MES 40 on SMF or not. I'm not sure what makes it any different then their other ones. Still curious if I got some weird frankenstein or hybrid or who knows what. Not that it matters I suppose!

Last edited:
You know, I was just looking at this to reference another thread and I have no idea what Generation of smoker I have now.

I have the Gen 1 Window and vent location. The controls look Gen 1. But it has the interior of the Gen 2.5. Do I have some frankenstein unit?

Note: I have what they call the Adventurer Series 40 inch. I'm not sure if that is the base series we all refer to as the MES 40 on SMF or not. I'm not sure what makes it any different then their other ones. Still curious if I got some weird frankenstein or hybrid or who knows what. Not that it matters I suppose!

That one has become quite common in the last few months.
It's a Hybrid with the interior of a Gen 2.5, and the Gen #1 exterior.
It's only weakness is the top Vent being on the wrong side.
Having the RF remote is a Plus over the Bluetooth on the Gen #2.5.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky