MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i just went by academy to look at the one i posted a few days ago and they had this one for 199.00 as well. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbu...49749&wl11=online&wl12=22139073&wl13=&veh=sem

Is this a good one compared to the one i posted a few days ago?
This is a Walmart link and shows the original Gen 1 40 SS inside and out model 20070311. It shows the Masterbuilt door emblem not just the word Masterbuilt in black letters. It has rails to support the boxy looking chip burner assembly. This has the sensor just under the second from the bottom rack

The Academy link above is a Gen 1 40 hybrid and may not be all SS. I think the sensor is one rack up higher which may be better to get the actual temp to 275. I would get the one with the toggle looking controller sensor that is farthest from the floor of the two if you can see them in person. Take pics of the ones you can see.

i just went by academy to look at the one i posted a few days ago and they had this one for 199.00 as well. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbu...49749&wl11=online&wl12=22139073&wl13=&veh=sem

Is this a good one compared to the one i posted a few days ago?

That is a Gen #1--- Second Best of all.
I'd rate it about the same as the one you posted the other day, because the only thing bad they both have is the top vent is on the right instead of the left.
As for which one of those 2 would I get, if I had to choose between the 2 of them???
Answer would be whichever was the best price.

I wouldn't worry about which one had the most accurate sensors, because everybody uses a Wireless Digital Therm, like a Maverick ET-732 or similar.

Bear

I posted the walmart link due to academy not having the item listed on their website. It is a in-store only item. I looked at the one in store and it had the boxy inside with the metal emblem on the outside just like in the walmart link. Both are 199. I thought the hybrid inside looks better than the gen 1 inside. I did not know performance wise which one was better.

I posted the walmart link due to academy not having the item listed on their website. It is a in-store only item. I looked at the one in store and it had the boxy inside with the metal emblem on the outside just like in the walmart link. Both are 199. I thought the hybrid inside looks better than the gen 1 inside. I did not know performance wise which one was better.

The best is the 100% Gen #2.5 (only thing I don't like is the Bluetooth).
Then the Gen #1 and the Hybrid like you showed (only thing bad is the top vent on the right instead of the left).
Then the Gen #2----Slanted Drip plate is stupid & screws up the whole works!

Bear

I should probably mention that the Gen #1 has the best place for the AMNPS---On the support rods to the left of the chip burner assembly. It fits perfectly, as the AMNPS was designed to fit there (Even in an MES 30).

Bear

I would be interested to know if the toggle controller sensor in the hybrid gen 1 40 is higher up than the original gen 1 40 because that maybe why both my gen 1 40s didn't average higher than 260 at 2nd rack from top rack. I've only seen pics of the inside of the hybrid and it was hard to see the sensor. After the gen 1, the trend has been higher placed controller sensors and people are getting higher than 275 temps on other gens. Either way you'll need a dual probe therm to get your accurate chamber temp at food level and the other for your food temp.

Mine is a 40 first gen,has been great,could take a couple months off if I had the $ back from the meat put on it,still works fine ,wish I could remember what year I bought it

So the Gen 1 40 is better than the Gen 1 hybrid with the gen 2.5 inside?

The best is the 100% Gen #2.5 (only thing I don't like is the Bluetooth).
Then the Gen #1 and the Hybrid like you showed (only thing bad is the top vent on the right instead of the left).
Then the Gen #2----Slanted Drip plate is stupid & screws up the whole works!

Bear

So the Gen 1 40 is better than the Gen 1 hybrid with the gen 2.5 inside?

I think from my looking before I bought was as long as you stay away from the straight gen 2 you will be fine no matter what you end up buying.

Just know that with all of them you will likely end up wanting to make modifications, I dont know that there is any product in this price range that is perfect out of the box. Avoid the gen2 and buy the best one your budget allows.

Ive got a gen 2.5 MES40 from Cabellas. with the solid door, ( I dont sit and watch it so I dont need a window) the bluetooth is junk so thats not even a feature to consider IMO, what I wanted was the size of the 40 and the air flow that the vent in the upper left top corner provided, I have used it with the AMNPS tray in the smoker itself and am not happy with the consistency of the smoke produced so I have bought a mail box and some 3" alum duct and will get back to it once time allows this fall/winter.

On the AMNPS buy one right away if you are doing lower temp cooks (sausages, cheese, etc), the chips dont work well under about 225-240. hell just owning the amnps would allow you to do quite a bit with about any outdoor cooking device you have already. really quite handy little pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr k
When MB offers so many vent/burner/water pan configurations of the standard three generations it illudes that MB doesn't know what they want. Qvc sold the 2.5 in 30" with a choice of colored doors with RF controller instead of BT (brilliant) and still Mes BT is pure crap with no updates/solutions to the existing problems as they continue to sell them. Academy has hybrid Gen 1's. The Gen 2's have two different vent location options. There"s the standard gen 2.5 BT and also the 340G BT four caster legs and the smaller trapezoid window and supposed upgraded wiring. I think MB needs to stick with the 2.5 inside on mfg new smokers and offer parts for all configuations and come in for a landing. After all MB is not desiging their smokers around any Amnps, Wedgie, Vortex or whatever it's called smoke generators etc.

When MB offers so many vent/burner/water pan configurations of the standard three generations it illudes that MB doesn't know what they want. Qvc sold the 2.5 in 30" with a choice of colored doors with RF controller instead of BT (brilliant) and still Mes BT is pure crap with no updates/solutions to the existing problems as they continue to sell them. Academy has hybrid Gen 1's. The Gen 2's have two different vent location options. There"s the standard gen 2.5 BT and also the 340G BT four caster legs and the smaller trapezoid window and supposed upgraded wiring. I think MB needs to stick with the 2.5 inside on mfg new smokers and offer parts for all configuations and come in for a landing. After all MB is not desiging their smokers around any Amnps, Wedgie, Vortex or whatever it's called smoke generators etc.

Exactly!!
Most of that I already told them, but it seemed to go in one ear & out the other.
I feel I was lucky to get everything I told them I'd like to see in the Gen #2.5.
That "Bluetooth Remote" was something they came up with on their own.

Bear

Thank You Gary!!

Just about every day, somebody asks "Which MES is the best, and how do I tell one from the other?"

This Thread & the other one linked above should give those answers.

And Thanks for the Points, Gary!!

Bear
Hi Bear,

I am posting a couple photos of my new MES, but I don’t see this set up from any of your photos. Can you tell me if this is a new generation or model and if you have done a review on it or could share with me any findings folks have found. Thank you.

Attachments

• F4D44307-7ECC-4990-BF94-5A38159892DD.jpeg
    F4D44307-7ECC-4990-BF94-5A38159892DD.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 994263DA-3D7D-4973-8924-1D16D79BEA51.jpeg
    994263DA-3D7D-4973-8924-1D16D79BEA51.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 120
It's a hybrid. It's a Gen 2.5 interior box setup. Outside the box is Gen 1 vent, controller and grease trap location.

Hi Bear,

I am posting a couple photos of my new MES, but I don’t see this set up from any of your photos. Can you tell me if this is a new generation or model and if you have done a review on it or could share with me any findings folks have found. Thank you.

Exactly what "dr K" said above. (post # 94)
The only thing I don't like about it is the Vent being on the right instead of the left, but that can be remedied if it causes uneven heat from right top left. Other than that, it could be the Best of them all.

BTW: I thought you had a Gen #2, with the big slanted Drip Plate???

Bear

Exactly what "dr K" said above. (post # 94)
The only thing I don't like about it is the Vent being on the right instead of the left, but that can be remedied if it causes uneven heat from right top left. Other than that, it could be the Best of them all.

BTW: I thought you had a Gen #2, with the big slanted Drip Plate???

Bear
I thought it was, but after I saw the drip pan photos you were referencing I realized it was not. Good thing, from what I am reading. Thanks to both for your responses.

Hi All
My First post..have been looking and reading a lot. I have finally pulled the trigger on this MES 240G

I hope this Gen 2.5 (at least what Gen I think it is from reading here) works out..Going to give it a test run in a few weeks once I get it and all set up. I also went ahead and got the TP-20. Good to have reliable readings. I will be going with the Standard Chips for the (Smoking) test. This will let me know if I really need to get the Amaz'n smoker to get the smoke needed.
Anyway I hope this purchase works out for me. I am sure I will be posting more and more with Questions, my Triumphs and a few Aww craps along the way.

AP514

Hi All
My First post..have been looking and reading a lot. I have finally pulled the trigger on this MES 240G

I hope this Gen 2.5 (at least what Gen I think it is from reading here) works out..Going to give it a test run in a few weeks once I get it and all set up. I also went ahead and got the TP-20. Good to have reliable readings. I will be going with the Standard Chips for the (Smoking) test. This will let me know if I really need to get the Amaz'n smoker to get the smoke needed.
Anyway I hope this purchase works out for me. I am sure I will be posting more and more with Questions, my Triumphs and a few Aww craps along the way.

AP514
MB hasn't ironed out the BT glitches/range etc. so if you run this smoker with the app only you may have issues like the display showing 800+ degrees and it may keep heating etc. and short range whereby taking three big steps gets you to the smoker itself to make changes. What seems to work best is keeping the app closed and running the smoker with the controller on the smoker. If things are good, then open the app and monitor the smoker with it but don't make changes. If that goes well then see if you can control the smoker with the app. See what combination triggers a glitch if any. So I guess you can do any of the above recommendations first but if you have issues go back to operating the smoker with it's controller.

The Amnps puts out perfect smoke and you can use sawdust for even lighter TBS. I bought a high walled aluminum lasagna pan at the Dollar Tree that perfectly fits the 5X8 Amnps in the bottom for filling the Amnps and for lighting it. I light it with the torch until flaming per the instructions then put it in the pan out of the wind to burn and build the cherry red coals at/below the lighting hole. I removed the Amnps after smoking with it a couple hours to take this pic of the pan. I didn't burn up this much dust to light it.
20171204_115748.jpg

Last edited:
MB hasn't ironed out the BT glitches/range etc. so if you run this smoker with the app only you may have issues like the display showing 800+ degrees and it may keep heating etc. and short range whereby taking three big steps gets you to the smoker itself to make changes. What seems to work best is keeping the app closed and running the smoker with the controller on the smoker. If things are good, then open the app and monitor the smoker with it but don't make changes. If that goes well then see if you can control the smoker with the app. See what combination triggers a glitch if any. So I guess you can do any of the above recommendations first but if you have issues go back to operating the smoker with it's controller.

The Amnps puts out perfect smoke and you can use sawdust for even lighter TBS. I bought a high walled aluminum lasagna pan at the Dollar Tree that perfectly fits the 5X8 Amnps in the bottom for filling the Amnps and for lighting it. I light it with the torch until flaming per the instructions then put it in the pan out of the wind to burn and build the cherry red coals at/below the lighting hole.
View attachment 375901

Kurt got you covered, AP514,
I don't know anything about the Bluetooth. I just use my controls on my console.

Also---I do the same as Kurt, with my AMNPS in a Foil Pan, except I have a Foil wrapped fire brick under my AMNPS, in the Foil pan.

Bear

Really wanted to give the Hopper on the 240G a try before buying the AMNPS .
So whats the Deal with the Hopper on the MES 240G itself ?
1) Does it not sit close enough to the element to make good Smoke ?
2) Do the wood chips burn up to fast making me have to add and re-add chips ever hour/half hour.

AP514

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky