mes 40 questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

supercajun

Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
do yall use other thermometers other than the one on the unit? i have a maverick i used on other pits but im finding it hard to find a spot to run the wires to the inside of the smoker. where does everyone route them? also does anyone use the water tray? thanks

I do not have a mes 40,, but can answer some questions, I use a water pan but many if not most do not.  For the wires I drilled 2 holes in the side of the smoker just big enough for the wires.  Hope that helps

I have a MES30, RdKnB has good suggestions. MES is famous for inconsistency in their temperature setting with the built in's. First thing I would do if you still have your Maverick, I would check for the possibility of a Delta T, or a difference between what its seeing and what its telling the unit. If you are unsure about the Maverick, use a ice bath or boiling water. Then having a guaranteed known use it to check the onboard setting. Once you know that, you'll got it make in the shade!

Oddly I have just tested my MES30 cooking a turkey high and dry. I have always used water before in my electrics especially for a long cook like turkey. Its not to add moisture, its to keep the turkeys skin from drying and cracking. What it actually ends up doing if to boil adding steam to the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky