MES 30 Wont smoke chips at lower temps.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seiler270

Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
I have the MES 30 with the window,  Ive googled this issue and have tried the mod where you prop up the coil so that is closer the bottom of the chip tray.

If I set it to anything under 200 degrees, it will never burn the chips,  even after 5 hours they are completely unburned.

If I crank it up to 200 it smokes just fine,  just not below that.

I was thinking of drilling a few small holes in the bottom of the chip tray to possibly get more heat to them..  

the chip try currently (modded) sits about 1/8 in from the the coil, should I rig it so the coil actually makes contact with the bottom of the tray?

I have the MES 30 with the window,  Ive googled this issue and have tried the mod where you prop up the coil so that is closer the bottom of the chip tray.

If I set it to anything under 200 degrees, it will never burn the chips,  even after 5 hours they are completely unburned.

If I crank it up to 200 it smokes just fine,  just not below that.

I was thinking of drilling a few small holes in the bottom of the chip tray to possibly get more heat to them..  

the chip try currently (modded) sits about 1/8 in from the the coil, should I rig it so the coil actually makes contact with the bottom of the tray?
I wouldn't drill holes there.

If you want it to smoke at lower temps, you need it closer---Or touching.

Or better yet, get an AMNPS and some pellets.

BTW: On yours is the chip drawer floor the only metal between the chips & the element, or is there another piece of metal in between the drawer floor & the element??

Bear

Is your doors hinge on the left or the right?

200° is cooler than I would want to cook meat and to warm for cheese, what are you cooking?

If it gets cold where you are it should work fine at 45° If not Masterbuilt make an auxiliary smoke generator just for you.

You may want to search this site for ""cold smoking" mes" I see the 10K threads

Walta

I bought the MES 30 earlier this summer and initially had difficulty with getting any smoke too.  After some experimenting I have come to the following solutions: 1) I don't soak my wood chips, and as much as possible I use the smaller pieces of wood. 2) Instead of preheating the smoker, I put the meat in before I turn it on.  Once the meat is in, I add the chips then turn the smoker on.  Preheating first then adding the meat allowed all of the smoke that built up to dissipate once I opened the door. 3) I generally use a temperature of 225, which allows the system to get hot enough to produce smoke from the wood chips.  4) Once the unit is hot, I've noticed that adding additional chips doesn't produce much smoke, but if I desire that I simply add 5 degrees which will again produce more smoke.  Hope this helps....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky