MES 30 Pork Shoulder - Finally Figured it out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nopigleftbehind

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Southern California
Did some Youtube video watching of the famous Franklins BBQ in texas. My MES 30 is very inconsistent on temp missing the mark by up to 20 plus degrees short at times. That said, I have done pork butt on numerous occasions. Always comes out like the consistency of a pork roast (even with IT up to 195). LOL. That said, I decided to do 4-5 hours at 275 (probably more like 255-260) fat side up. Then moved the butt into a nice foil wrap (which I have never done). Added some liquid inside. In foil at same temp for another 5 hours. Did not get an IT at that point but butt was very "loose" - bone slide right out. Let sit 45 mins and pulled. IT PULLED APART!!!! COULDN'T BELIEVE IT - no knife slicing required lol. Came out really well but slightly dry to my liking.

Any suggestions on the dry part? Did I keep it in too long?

I go by temp. I have found 195 to be too low of a it to pull at. I go to an it of 205.i haven't had it dry at that temp.

Kinda same issue.. did my first smoked pork shoulder.. following Franklin method and throughout the cook it was pretty consistent with what he was saying.

However at the end when it came out the outside bark was a little too dry/crusty for my liking and the inside was just every so slightly dry.

I had IT of 205..

I think there were a couple of things wrong..

1) im from UK (no thats not it!) and the cut was not a Boston Butt, but lower down shoulder rib cut, this is the tradition UK version of pork shoulder.. It didnt have a lot of fat cap and also little marble so I think this was a lot to do with the finished texture (my butcher and I had a talk after it!)

2) feeling I wrapped too late (although some people never wrap) the internal temp was up at 75 degrees at wrap time.

My temps were very consistent throughout within 2-3 degrees cooked at 270 for 10 1/2 hours.

The shoulder blade came out very easily but felt the meat perhaps overcooked during the resting as it was still very hot after an hour...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky