Memphis Style Pork Belly Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Here is my take on Memphis "dry" ribs, one of my favorites because the flavor of the rub and the meat stand on it's own. It's not that I don't like sauce it's just that I think sauce has its place, like served at the table.... unless some one wants a KC style rib with a sweeter glazed sauce, then I'll gladly cook one rack "wet". My rub on this rack is two layers, first is a new rub gifted to me by one of my cookin' buddies called Riker's Rib and Brisket Rub which is a little sweet with a chili powder back flavor. The top rub is Cimarron Doc's, a popular competition pork rub. The cut is kind of a wide version of a St Louis trim, they left some of the cartilage tips, and the flap was so huge I made extra skewers to hang for cook's snacks.
B6ZM7qD.jpg

z6l9x0l.jpg

Cooking at 250° with hickory flavor wood, this is about the 2 hour mark, I gave them a water spray to really set the bark.
pRs2cvj.jpg

And at about 4 hours I had the color I wanted, so it was time for the foil step. The only adders were a couple sprays of Parkay, some beer and a teaspoon or so of rice wine vinegar (no sauce, honey, agave, butter etc.). Vinegar bumps the acid and makes the flavors pop. Foil time was 90 minutes or so for the pull-back and tenderness I wanted, then back on the smoker tighten them up.
WZ1XXwV.jpg

JazsVsG.jpg

My final rest was 45 minutes, and I was pleased with this new Riker's rub.
aetiRgZ.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Look great TE, I have one question, after 90 minutes in foil, did you toss them back on the smoker for 45 minutes or 45 to tighten up and the rest before eating?

Thanks for all the kind words.

Good looking SL ribs!
How did the "cooks snack" turn out? I've never had much luck with those trimmings...
They were okay, but really a teaser of what's to come. The flap meat is so lean, and thin it does not get real tender but I don't let it turn into jerky either. The small skewer cooked maybe 90 minutes, I seasoned them with garlic salt and a little pepper. the skewer with the biggest pieces went about 2 hours.

Look great TE, I have one question, after 90 minutes in foil, did you toss them back on the smoker for 45 minutes or 45 to tighten up and the rest before eating?

The photo is a little deceiving because I cook them tender with the meat down in the foil. When they are done, I turn them over meat side up (when I took the photo), and the whole pouch goes back on the smoker (but open this time) for maybe 10 or 15 minutes. The foil juices will dry a little. Then the pouch comes inside, vents for a few minutes and closed. I put a dishtowel on top for some insulation. A 10 minute rest is probably good enough, but we just weren't ready to eat that soon. And by the way, for slicing I spritz my cutting board and turn them meat side down, this works for glazed ribs too, only I'll paint some sauce on the cutting board. Anyways, now you can see and pick a nice straight line for your cuts (the bones are never straight) and all the meat is even.

Reactions: DanMcG
Thanks for all the kind words.

They were okay, but really a teaser of what's to come. The flap meat is so lean, and thin it does not get real tender but I don't let it turn into jerky either. The small skewer cooked maybe 90 minutes, I seasoned them with garlic salt and a little pepper. the skewer with the biggest pieces went about 2 hours.

The photo is a little deceiving because I cook them tender with the meat down in the foil. When they are done, I turn them over meat side up (when I took the photo), and the whole pouch goes back on the smoker (but open this time) for maybe 10 or 15 minutes. The foil juices will dry a little. Then the pouch comes inside, vents for a few minutes and closed. I put a dishtowel on top for some insulation. A 10 minute rest is probably good enough, but we just weren't ready to eat that soon. And by the way, for slicing I spritz my cutting board and turn them meat side down, this works for glazed ribs too, only I'll paint some sauce on the cutting board. Anyways, now you can see and pick a nice straight line for your cuts (the bones are never straight) and all the meat is even.
That's why I save that cut off stuff for sausage. It's not much good for anything else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky