NEVER change grandma's recipe - EVER.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just read this entire thread and feel half confused. I’m sorry the meatballs didn’t work out. I’m sorry there is so much disagreement. I feel like I’m in a beans or no beans in chili thread. No beans btw. 😉

Fred

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
A mini sausage sandwich. Whomever baked the baguette in HEB this morning, HEB should have a bronze statue made of the person and stand it outside in front of the store - the bread was baked perfect.

A Johnsonville hot Italian sausage that was cooked in the sauce on Sunday, some of the sauce and a slice of provolone cheese on a small piece of the baguette sliced and excavated.

This must be like what I imagine being in Heaven is like. It was perfect and sooo good tasting.

Look how nice that sauce is...
IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2222.JPG

I am much calmer and friendlier now.

PS. I bought more meatballs and sauce fixins and just waiting for Amazon to deliver the Cento Marzano tomatoes so I can get started.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
A mini sausage sandwich. Whomever baked the baguette in HEB this morning, HEB should have a bronze statue made of the person and stand it outside in front of the store - the bread was baked perfect.

A Johnsonville hot Italian sausage that was cooked in the sauce on Sunday, some of the sauce and a slice of provolone cheese on a small piece of the baguette sliced and excavated.

This must be like what I imagine being in Heaven is like.

Look how nice that sauce is...
View attachment 685376

View attachment 685377

I am much calmer and friendlier now.

PS. I bought more meatballs and sauce fixins and just waiting for Amazon to deliver the Cento Marzano tomatoes so I can get started.

Wish me luck.
RS, I hope I didn’t offend you with my previous post. I didn’t have any intention of doing so. If you ever decide to come clean with the recipe I would love to have it. I understand why you wouldn’t though. Have a great day.

Fred

Reactions: JLeonard
RS, I hope I didn’t offend you with my previous post. I didn’t have any intention of doing so. If you ever decide to come clean with the recipe I would love to have it. I understand why you wouldn’t though. Have a great day.

Fred
No worries at all, Fred; I do not get offended - I get even :emoji_sunglasses:

In all honesty, you can find the recipe on Lidia's Kitchen website (and MANY more excellent recipes) - but we use Chianti and Lidia uses white wine in her sauce - plus, I use more than she does! Other than that, Lidia adds celery, onions and carrots to some of her meatball recipes, and we do NOT do that - we do not want meatloaf balls - we want meatballs.

The Chianti makes a heartier tasting sauce, in my expert opinion, and I get to drink some while I am cooking and it gives me a nice buzz!

If you decide to use a Chinti - be sure to only purchase a Chianti that has a black rooster on the label. No exceptions.

IMG_2203.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Cookin'
Meatball success! They are awesome. :emoji_sunglasses:

Pictures when I make a sandwich.

Dang.....Can I have one of those sausages while your whipping up the MOAMBS (Mother of all meatball sammichs). If It looks half as good as that sausage I may need two!

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: Retired Spook
Dang.....Can I have one of those sausages while your whipping up the MOAMBS (Mother of all meatball sammichs). If It looks half as good as that sausage I may need two!

Jim
I'm telling ya, Jim - heaven on a plate! If you were my neighbor I would feed you until you went into a coma like my grandmother used to feed us! :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
I'm telling ya, Jim - heaven on a plate! If you were my neighbor I would feed you until you went into a coma like my grandmother used to feed us! :emoji_laughing:
Man you better watch what you offer....I'm looking to get out of Mississippi!
And the food you been posting might have me packing. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Jim

• Haha
Man you better watch what you offer....I'm looking to get out of Mississippi!
And the food you been posting might have me packing. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Jim
It would be great to have you as a neighbor - but do your homework on Texas before you decide to move here 🫡

I can't make any type of red sauce to save my life, but the whole sauce / gravy thing eludes me. I've never actually met anyone who says gravy except reading online.

I woke up this morning and thought of this thread when I saw the following YouTube video. This is how my Calabrian grandmother made her sauce. I never heard her call it ragu. In her thick accent it was called "sowsa." Simple. Easy. The only difference is that instead of lard to brown the meat, she'd render fat she'd saved from meat trimmings. Bacon fat works fine, too, IMO.

The addition of Italian sausage links completely changes the flavor of the sauce, making it better, once again, IMO. Oh, and I add a bunch of chopped garlic with the tomatoes. I guess that's me changing Nonni's recipe. Uh oh.

Here's a bit of tomato trivia I've learned in the past. Some university did a study of San Marzano tomato use worldwide and stated that the San Marzano region could only grow a fraction of the tomatoes claimed to be from there. Most of the San Marzano tomatoes are imported from places like California's central valley then canned in Italy. Yes, there are stamps on the can that can help one determine if you have the real thing or not, but many places grow San Marzano tomato strains and charge 3 to 5 times as much per can.

I live in the CA central valley, bought canned whole DOP San Marzanos and two other brands of canned whole tomatoes (a famous brand and a store brand). I made three minimally seasoned pizza sauces and had my super-taster wife try them. She could not tell the difference. I've been buying the store brand ever since.

Technically, a San Marzano tomato is a type of Roma tomato, that is meatier and has much fewer seed - the fewer seeds results in a tomato sauce that is far less likely to taste bitter or give a person "agita" or an upset stomach / acid reflux that often results when lesser quality tomatoes are used.

I can and have made superb sauces from the usual Roma tomatoes that can be found in most grocery stores - but they must be allowed to ripen (in a box with a towel on top place on top of your refrigerator), and they must be processed through a manual food mill (that contraption that grandma used that is like a screen bowl, with a handle on the side, and a crank on top, that removes all of the seeds, skin and pulp, leaving only pure tomato puree, from which very good sauce can be made.

San Marzano tomatoes can be grown in the US, but they are very challenging to grow, and only the best growers have acceptable results.

Cento San Marzano tomatoes have a lot-code on the can you can use Google Earth to locate the exact field the tomatoes were grown in, in Italy. In my opinion, they are the best that can be gotten.

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
@gmc2003 - look up Lidia Bastianich / Lidia's Kitchen - and find the word gravy.

She is the best Italian cook I have ever seen, second only to my grandmother. I have watched hundreds of hours of her shows and it is as if she is my grandmother's twin sister - they cook exactly the same - it amazed me when I first started watching her. I only recently learned from my sister, that my grandmother, may she rest in peace, LOVED watching Lidia's Kitchen.

There IS a difference.

Her shows are on the FOOD Network occasionally.
That is where I learned about Cento.

Pretty good.

These days when I get kooky about sauce I use a few bottles of Mutti tomato puree and add a couple cans of Cento San Marzano tomatoes - because making puree from scratch is a lot of work, and I am gettin old...

The best jar sauce I have ever tasted is Michael's of Brooklyn which is excellent sauce and tastes "just like grandma's." Even my sisters have switched over to using it - and it is thick, not watery! 🫡

I went down the San Marzan rabbit hole in my pizza making craze and came out with trying every tomato sauce I could get my hands on and that included the #10 cans from GFS. To my surprise, Kroger crushed tomatoes was the clear winner on the home scale but admit the GFS was another level above but that's a LOT of sauce. Stanislaus Full Red being the best.

Retired Spook Retired Spook Do you have an actual written recipe? If I ask my aunt how anything is made, it's just verbal instructions; some of this, some of that, etc. Same with the MIL. And my cousin laughs at me for measuring ingredients.

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky