McRib knockoff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Over on Instagram they are doing McDonald’s McRibs knockoffs. I figured I’d give it a shot. BandCollector BandCollector sent me some jalapeño mustard and Smokey heat pickles. So of course that had to go into this. Used the mustard as a binder and coated with sweet heat rub. Onto the Weber kettle with a little hickory chips for 3 hours of smoke. Wrapped in foil with butter, brown sugar, and cherry coke. Let em braise until the bones pulled out easily. Dressed it up with sweet onions, bbq sauce, and the pickles. Wasn’t half bad. Definitely better than that fake meat from McDonald’s.
thanks for looking.
Jim
9B93AF75-5593-45DA-915E-0A817FEE37C9.jpeg 17F677E6-A567-41AE-86AF-D678FE28485D.jpeg 04D7F9B8-D0BC-4DC5-BBE1-0311187A96FC.jpeg

Looks good! Not sure if I ever had one either. Pull the bones and a big ole hoagie bun and slap it all on one sandwich!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks John. Those pickles you sent are the bomb. I can eat em right out of the jar!
Jim

John those look really good to me. Keep making them and maybe you'll get a cult following like McDs has for theirs.

Point for sure
Chris

Bearcarver Bearcarver I loved them when they first came out in the '80s. But the ones I've tried just dont measure up. Maybe its just my desire for the good ole high school days has soured my taste for them.
Jim

Never had a McRib and no desire to eat anything that comes from McDonalds. Those ribs and that sandwich however I'd jump all over. Very nice job Jim.

Robert

I'll be darned if I've ever eaten one also Jim, never been huge on fast food joints where teeners are doing the cooking. I do "Like" the looks of the sanny you made and have done something similar in the past when things have gotten to the FOTB stage of a rib cook. That only ever happened when I wrapped, which I never do anymore. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky