MB Gravity with sticks in the hopper?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AA-Ron_W

Original poster
Jan 24, 2022
Have an MB560 for a few weeks now and not getting as much smoke flavor as I would like. I have some split hickory left over that's in 12" or shorter pieces that are 2" by 3" or smaller. Had the idea to put those in the hopper vertically like columns then surround them with kingsford.

Has anyone tried anything similar? Did it work?

This is a really pupular method I've seen where you put a 2inch thick log down your shoot and then pile around charcoal. I haven't done it personally but I've read it enough time to not be worried about it since it's already well known you can do wood chunks.

Reactions: AA-Ron_W
That's what I do.

I also put chunks in the ash pan. And I have expanded metal on firebricks in the ash pan to keep them up out of the ash.

But has anyone else had this ? I opened the FB door twice the other day, and the chunk was in flame.

20220325_175007.jpg
20220325_171425.jpg

Yes. I don't like it but I don't think you can avoid it with the fan pushing in fresh oxygen. I hope it goes out and just smokes some of the time. I do notice my chunks burn down pretty fast. I have 2 racks of ribs on right now and a baseball size chunk of hickory was burnt up easily in an hour.

Yes. I don't like it but I don't think you can avoid it with the fan pushing in fresh oxygen. I hope it goes out and just smokes some of the time. I do notice my chunks burn down pretty fast. I have 2 racks of ribs on right now and a baseball size chunk of hickory was burnt up easily in an hour.

I like it. That's why my MB560 produces closer to stick burner flavor.

But I worry about the metal in the FB. Notice the inside of my FB door and the wall of the FB have paint peeling. Or at least I hope that's paint and its not burning through the metal.

Getting flaming chunks and steady temps, that's a fricken dream.

Reactions: 912smoker
I tried a large oak stick surrounded by briquettes in mine and found that it prevented the temp from going under 275.
The stick would show flames and heat the box with no fan action at all when I selected 250.
Brisket tasted great though and no harm was done.

I feel like an upright split has caused my charcoal to burn up even faster when i do this. I just stuck to chunks

I haven't tried using the split yet but Tom Horseman recently posted a video showing great success.

Keith

I tried a large oak stick surrounded by briquettes in mine and found that it prevented the temp from going under 275.
The stick would show flames and heat the box with no fan action at all when I selected 250.
Brisket tasted great though and no harm was done.
I run a split vertically on the regular and haven't had any problems running below 275. 225 is my normal temp for most things and that works fine with a split. I have been buying the kingsford splits from home depot. They are pretty narrow with room to surround the charcoal.

I feel like an upright split has caused my charcoal to burn up even faster when i do this. I just stuck to chunks
I wonder if that is because there is less charcoal actually in the hopper with a split. The split takes up a lot of volume - less room for charcoal.

When I run a vertical split in the chute, I take a normal split and split it again with a Kindling Cracker. That leaves me with something about as round as a beer can or mostly , less.

Because I use 8 to 10" splits in my stick burner, I put one split on top of the other vertically.

I've had no trouble running lower temps.

I've also found the fire " travels up " the split faster than it burns the charcoal. I've emptied the chute and the split will be completely burnt up but the charcoal hasn't gone half way up.

I used a split of post oak, out of my pile, about 8 inches in diameter and just shy of too long to close the lid.
Non kiln dried wood burns differently than kiln dried stuff.

I used a split of post oak, out of my pile, about 8 inches in diameter and just shy of too long to close the lid.
Non kiln dried wood burns differently than kiln dried stuff.

The only wood I have is what I've harvested from the neighborhood and my FIL cutting down a pecan tree. I've got some store bought cherry, but I've not put in the 560.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky