Maybe a dumb question about foiling and temp probes

Discussion in 'Pork' started by dom, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dom

dom Newbie

I am planning to try the pulled pork recipe that is stickied in this forum this weekend.

How are you taking the temperature of the meat while it is foiled? Does the foil interefere with the metal probe? Do you keep a section unfoiled so that the probe won't touch the metal foil?

Thanks!

2. cajunsmoke13

cajunsmoke13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Pretty sure it's only the tip that reads the temp...

3. irishteabear

irishteabear Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Leave the probe in the meat right where you put it to begin with. The probes usually only use about a quarter (if that) of their length to read the temperature. You can wrap the butt tightly without worrying about interfering with the probe.

4. meatball

meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I just wrap the foil around the probe, even if it's touching. As far as I know the foil doesn't interfere with the metal probe, but I could be wrong. I never even thought about this - great question! But, it's never caused me any issues to just wrap the foil around the probe.

5. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What he said. Its only the tip that is measuring the temps.

Hope that helps.

6. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Depends on the thermo, if it's an anolog (round face w/numbers and a red needle) I just poke it through the foil and into the meat.

If you are using a digital thermo, fold the foil back insert the probe into the meat and then foil the foil round the thermo to get a decent seal, then turn the thermo on. DO NOT turn the thermo on and the poke it through the foil. It will short out the thermo-my daughter did this to a really nice $30.00 digital thermo that you could actually calibrate.

7. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[DO NOT turn the thermo on and the poke it through the foil. It will short out the thermo-my daughter did this to a really nice $30.00 digital thermo that you could actually calibrate.[/quote]

My Mavericks have been pushed through foil on every smoke except ribs. I have not shorted them out but will not take any chances and will wrap around them now. Thanks for he info.

8. gnubee

gnubee Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

One member gave me this tip:

Foil the probe wire from where it enters the smoker right up to the start of the probe. This keeps it from becoming all greased up and thus makes cleaning it easier.

9. bigsteve

bigsteve Master of the Pit

Yesterday I was having trouble with my probe. I ended up sticking it in the meat at a 90* angle going up. Even though the tip reads the temp, the thermo kept quickly creeping up to the dome temerature. I found a way to make it work okay stuck in sideways, and that didn't happen any longer. I figure the heat propagated down the metal to the tip. I wasn't near the bone, so that's out of the picture.

As others said, I just wrap tightly where the probe exits the meat so that my mop/steam won't come out there.

10. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've been poking the digital probe through the foil for a couple of years now with no ill effects never thinking of this. I'll be, ya learn something new every day.

Thanks Dutch

11. billbo

billbo Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Same here Rick but I guess I will end that practice. Thanks for the heads up there Dutch!

12. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I too used to push the probes of my Mavrick through the foil while the unit was turned on.

When I called the supplier of that really nice calibratable digital thermo about returning it for a replacement, they had of list of questions they asked me to rule out if the thermo or the user was defective [​IMG]. When I told them that my daughter had pushed the probe through the foil while it was turned on, they told me that inserting an active (turned on) thermo through foil caused it to short out. I never bothered to replace it since I found another source on ebay for digital thermos. The ones I use now are about 7-8 inches long. I figure at a buck a piece, I'm not out a lot if goes south on me.

Digital Cooking Meat BBQ Food Probe Kitchen Thermometer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. target

target Fire Starter

I saw those too Dutch how are they? I bet worth the price but how would you rate them on accuracy?

14. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nope it won't hurt it at all. just foil it and re-stick the probe back in.