Maximum smoking temps for turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cripplecreek

Fire Starter
Original poster
About to smoke my 1st turkey (13 lbs in 8% solution) in the a.m. for noonish meal.  Brining tonight for about 12 hrs.  How high can I go on smoking temps and how long will it take to get to 165 IT.  Any other last minute tips are also appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Mike

I did a 15lb injected with cajun marinade , I smoke it on my MES for 8 hrs at 230 degrees. I checked the inner thigh to a temp 180 and the breast to 165. I took it off wrap in alumium foil and let set for 2 hrs.  May vary I have cooked one for 12 hrs.  Hope this help good luck and have a Happy Thanksgiving. 

You can go as high as you would in an oven it will just get done faster and have a little less smoke flavor. I did 9 13-15 lb birds last weekend and they took 4 hours running at 250-275 degrees. I also brined them for around 15-20 hours.

A bird at that weigh I would get the smoker to 325 add the bird and bring it to 275 over the course of an hour.

Then you can drop the temp even lower just make sure you will clear the dangerzone
  • Time charts, not an exact but in the ballpark,
  • Cooking
    • At 235°F your turkey will take 30 to 35 minutes per pound.
    • At 250°F your turkey will take 25 to 30 minutes per pound.
    • At 275°F your turkey will take 20 to 25 minutes per pound.

Personally I smoke my poultry at 300-325 degrees and find the skin comes out much better at the higher temps

icon_cool.gif

I to will run my smoker at about 300* or 325* and it takes as long as it does. So don't start the bird and go play a gameof baseball or in this case football and then you will be serving turkey jerky but thats another thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky