masterbuilt smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrgoblueguy

Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Hi all..I have been.quiet for a while due to a brutal winter, health problems and other things but am back. My wife surprised me with a masterbuilt smoker from home depot. It's the one with the analog dial on the side. I'm putting chicken and ribs in it tomorrow. Any tips or tricks? Thank you

Only "tricks" I can tell you is I lined the drip tray with foil and wrapped the water pan in foil. Makes clean up a lot easier.

I did put a digital probe in the first time I used it and the temp was very accurate. (mine is digital control)

When you do the break-in, don't do what I did. Day after Christmas, my buddy and I were doing the break in and drinking beer. When it came time to add the wood chips, Dave pulled the chip drawer out and I with the chips in my right hand, reached out and grabbed the tray with my left hand. Thankfully there was a snow drift right there so I only ended up with 1 blister. Who said drinking affects your judgement?  I never saw Dave laugh so hard.

Reactions: 1mind4fun
Buy a good digital thermometer with two probes.  One for the meat and one for ambient temps.  Don't trust the one that is built in.  It may be accurate, but better safe than sorry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky