Masterbuilt Resource

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mbtechguy

Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Hi All,

Some of you older members may remember me, and for all new members, my name is Darryl.  I am an employee of Masterbuilt, and posted on this site a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately, business requirements at the office, and extended travel made it impossible for me to provide everyone here the support and timely follow-up required.  While travel is still in the schedule, added resources are now allowing for a return to the SMF.  I'm glad to be back, and will try my best to follow the forum daily.  If anyone has an issue that I can be of assistance on, please send me a PM, and I will get back to you asap.  Thanks, Darryl

Reactions: kentuckycal
Welcome back Darryl! I just gotta ask and get it over with up front, do you have a brother named Darryl?

I like my Masterbuilt products and love the excellent service from your CSR's. Or sales Techs or whatever the title is today. Really nice folks.

Heck I liked my MES30 so much, I bought a MES40 from ya'll and also got the Cold smoker just to try out.

No complaints yet on anything. Just had to learn that smoking on a 40 is different than a 30. Super different recovery times and a large difference smoke applied.

I'm a happy camper, glad to meet you.

</whispers> Ok guys I was nice, he's all your's. LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice words, however I can handle the "good, the bad, and the ugly"!

I have the MES40 gen 2 It does a good job smoking. Just to much of a temp. difference 40*. Had to buy a separate thermo probe to know what the temp is.I do give the service department an A+ rating sent me 3 control units already.

Welcome back Darryl

Richie

welcome1.gif
back.

My MES 40 does me well.

Happy smoken.

David

Welcome back.

Down to business:  Any chance MB will ever release a controller for the MES30 that's reliable and (somewhat) accurate?  I gave up on getting exchanges/bodies because I just kept getting the same broken stuff basically.

Hi All,

Some of you older members may remember me, and for all new members, my name is Darryl.  I am an employee of Masterbuilt, and posted on this site a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately, business requirements at the office, and extended travel made it impossible for me to provide everyone here the support and timely follow-up required.  While travel is still in the schedule, added resources are now allowing for a return to the SMF.  I'm glad to be back, and will try my best to follow the forum daily.  If anyone has an issue that I can be of assistance on, please send me a PM, and I will get back to you asap.  Thanks, Darryl
Great to meet you Darryl! I'm going to enjoy going to the "resource" for the answers to my MES questions.

Welcome back.

Down to business:  Any chance MB will ever release a controller for the MES30 that's reliable and (somewhat) accurate?  I gave up on getting exchanges/bodies because I just kept getting the same broken stuff basically.
I agree. I think I'll PM Darryl about this same issue.

Welcome back Darryl! I just gotta ask and get it over with up front, do you have a brother named Darryl?

I like my Masterbuilt products and love the excellent service from your CSR's. Or sales Techs or whatever the title is today. Really nice folks.

Heck I liked my MES30 so much, I bought a MES40 from ya'll and also got the Cold smoker just to try out.

No complaints yet on anything. Just had to learn that smoking on a 40 is different than a 30. Super different recovery times and a large difference smoke applied.

I'm a happy camper, glad to meet you.

</whispers> Ok guys I was nice, he's all your's. LOL
Foamheart, can you go more into the smoking differences between the 30 and the 40 (I'm assuming both Gen 1's)? I've got the 30 which fit my budget when I purchased it and suits my needs since I usually BBQ for only 2-3 people. I'm still curious, though. Who knows, some day I still might buy a 40--Gen 1, of course.

Foamheart, can you go more into the smoking differences between the 30 and the 40 (I'm assuming both Gen 1's)? I've got the 30 which fit my budget when I purchased it and suits my needs since I usually BBQ for only 2-3 people. I'm still curious, though. Who knows, some day I still might buy a 40--Gen 1, of course.
The MES40 mine is first gen SS, the recovery time is enormous. The initial warm up is the same. So when you preheat, get to temp, and throw open the door, thow in the meat and insert the chip tray, close the door and its another huge reheat. Its almost a s lkong it seems as the preheat took.

I always wait on the chip tray till the meat is in, looking for smoke at those magic 100 to 150 IT range. Hate to smoke it while preheating. That being said, I also bought a cold smoke unit with the smoker and have it installed. I have been using it as a smoke extender so I do not need the re-loader. It does go thru the shells and chips pretty fast though. I have read were some are using an adjustable reostat on it and seem to be experiencing a lot of sucess in lengthing the duration of the smoke. I hate messing with anything electrical so have not tryed it yet.

I have only used this a few times, right after I got my new step my Pop fell and have not been smoking as much while looking after him. I have thought about maybe using some high temp sealer around the bottom of the top sealer fin in the smoker.  Let me show you.

This is the internal tower which holds the shells/chips in the center. the fin which runs around it, sets down upon a metal lip in the Cold smoke generator, sealing the smoke chamber from the upper chamber allowing the smoke to migrate into and thru the MES40 instead of just comming out the lid of the smoke generator. Works fine, its a low tech solution. Its engineered so that while maaintaining the perfect contact to also allow a screened end on the bottom to set upon a heating coils thereby heating the shells/chips. The problem as I see it is, its so hot and on the heating element. Hence allowing to much heat on the screen while pre-heating the whole chimmney.

I was thinking of maybe adding a bead of heat resistant silicone gasket material to the underside if that fin. Thereby raising the entire chimney slightly off the heater coil. But since I have not had smoker time, I have not had experimental time either.

It seems a possible easy fix for the problem. Another would be the reostat to reduce the element wattage.... but I so hate electricty. Its like a snake , it lays in the grass and waits for you! It was the hardest part of my Sub Quals in you younger life. Some chief used pnuematics and hydraulices to explace electricty to me or I would have been canned.

Now there is an electrical full power line-up!  Analog, 800, and a 1200 watt........you can see the edge of a old pipe pit too. Bucket is full of last years pecan shells, silly bags of chips. I assure you there is an AMPs in one of those awaiting its next use and in the garage kitchen behind it, is boxes of bags of all the pellets, propane for the weedburner, crab boiler, and burner for the jambalaya pot.

BTW I am actually thinking of putting a huge cornerstone brick in the MES40 as a heatsink. The heatsink will weigh as much as the MES40 though. Hate to take a chance on stressing it out.

Last edited:

The MES40 mine is first gen SS, the recovery time is enormous. The initial warm up is the same. So when you preheat, get to temp, and throw open the door, thow in the meat and insert the chip tray, close the door and its another huge reheat. Its almost a s lkong it seems as the preheat took.

I always wait on the chip tray till the meat is in, looking for smoke at those magic 100 to 150 IT range. Hate to smoke it while preheating. That being said, I also bought a cold smoke unit with the smoker and have it installed. I have been using it as a smoke extender so I do not need the re-loader. It does go thru the shells and chips pretty fast though. I have read were some are using an adjustable reostat on it and seem to be experiencing a lot of sucess in lengthing the duration of the smoke. I hate messing with anything electrical so have not tryed it yet.

I have only used this a few times, right after I got my new step my Pop fell and have not been smoking as much while looking after him. I have thought about maybe using some high temp sealer around the bottom of the top sealer fin in the smoker.  Let me show you.

This is the internal tower which holds the shells/chips in the center. the fin which runs around it, sets down upon a metal lip in the Cold smoke generator, sealing the smoke chamber from the upper chamber allowing the smoke to migrate into and thru the MES40 instead of just comming out the lid of the smoke generator. Works fine, its a low tech solution. Its engineered so that while maaintaining the perfect contact to also allow a screened end on the bottom to set upon a heating coils thereby heating the shells/chips. The problem as I see it is, its so hot and on the heating element. Hence allowing to much heat on the screen while pre-heating the whole chimmney.

I was thinking of maybe adding a bead of heat resistant silicone gasket material to the underside if that fin. Thereby raising the entire chimney slightly off the heater coil. But since I have not had smoker time, I have not had experimental time either.

It seems a possible easy fix for the problem. Another would be the reostat to reduce the element wattage.... but I so hate electricty. Its like a snake , it lays in the grass and waits for you! It was the hardest part of my Sub Quals in you younger life. Some chief used pnuematics and hydraulices to explace electricty to me or I would have been canned.

Now there is an electrical full power line-up!  Analog, 800, and a 1200 watt........you can see the edge of a old pipe pit too. Bucket is full of last years pecan shells, silly bags of chips. I assure you there is an AMPs in one of those awaiting its next use and in the garage kitchen behind it, is boxes of bags of all the pellets, propane for the weedburner, crab boiler, and burner for the jambalaya pot.

BTW I am actually thinking of putting a huge cornerstone brick in the MES40 as a heatsink. The heatsink will weigh as much as the MES40 though. Hate to take a chance on stressing it out.
About sealing those doors--I just watched a Man Fire Food episode and they had a guy who's got a BBQ restaurant business in the South and he had a tall, vertical smoker which I think was electric. Anyway he put his ribs inside and closed the door and...all this smoke was leaking out from the sides of the door. I felt that if this guy--who's a pro and a business owner--didn't care about smoke leaks then I wouldn't either. Besides, my MES 30 doesn't leak smoke at all; it all goes out the top vent.

Todd recommended I fill the water pan with playground sand to use as a heat sink. Bearcarver told me he just leaves it empty and foils over the top. I tried both and found no difference in temp loss or change in temp swings so I follow Bear's method. The result is I've been putting out the best BBQ I've made in the two years I've owned my MES. I don't believe in mods, mainly because I'm not that mod-savvy and if it works why fix it?

Very sorry to read about your dad. You sound like a good son. My folks are gone so I admire that you're caring for him as he recovers.

About sealing those doors--I just watched a Man Fire Food episode and they had a guy who's got a BBQ restaurant business in the South and he had a tall, vertical smoker which I think was electric. Anyway he put his ribs inside and closed the door and...all this smoke was leaking out from the sides of the door. I felt that if this guy--who's a pro and a business owner--didn't care about smoke leaks then I wouldn't either. Besides, my MES 30 doesn't leak smoke at all; it all goes out the top vent.
I have no problem with the smoker doors. I am thinking of using the gasket material on the inside of the little black box that is attached to the lower right side of the MES40. It is not to seal it but rather to raise the height of the wood from the element thereby allowing a slower smoke. I maybe completely wrong and that big box needs all that smoke.

Trying some jerky in it now, no AMPs what-so-ever, will better understand it when its done. Like I said its still a new toy.

I have no problem with the smoker doors. I am thinking of using the gasket material on the inside of the little black box that is attached to the lower right side of the MES40. It is not to seal it but rather to raise the height of the wood from the element thereby allowing a slower smoke. I maybe completely wrong and that big box needs all that smoke.

Trying some jerky in it now, no AMPs what-so-ever, will better understand it when its done. Like I said its still a new toy.
I never saw anything like a little black box in my MES 30 so I can't picture what you're referring to, but then you've got the analog model, don't you? Since I've had my smoker for two years, I've already been through the wood chips experimentation which is why I use the AMNPS.

Hi All,

Glad to have a Rep on the site.
yahoo.gif
MB customer service is tops on my list. They have jumped through hoops to make sure that the issues I had were addressed in a timely fashion.

Glad to have a Rep on the site.
yahoo.gif
MB customer service is tops on my list. They have jumped through hoops to make sure that the issues I had were addressed in a timely fashion.
I've already got a PM dialog going with Darryl. He's very friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and cool.

I never saw anything like a little black box in my MES 30 so I can't picture what you're referring to, but then you've got the analog model, don't you? Since I've had my smoker for two years, I've already been through the wood chips experimentation which is why I use the AMNPS.
The analog is the Redi-Smok located to the right and on the concrete by the MES30 in my picture. The little black box (Masterbuilt Cold Smoker), is on the right attached to the larger SS MES40 in the picture. The cold smoker (auxillry smoke generator), can be attached to either MES using the reload shoot.

Last edited:

The analog is the Redi-Smok located to the right and on the concrete by the MES30 in my picture. The little black box (Masterbuilt Cold Smoker), is on the right attached to the larger SS MES40 in the picture. The cold smoker (auxillry smoke generator), can be attached to either MES using the reload shoot.
That explains it then. I use the AMNPS for both hot and cold smoking. I now see the Redi-Smok but before I didn't know what it was. I only recognized your two MES smokers.

Welcome back Darryl.

Just seen a Masterbuilt infomercial this past weekend, they need to show the possibilities of cold smoking with this unit also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky