Masterbuilt Propane Smoker - need parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beparrish

Original poster
Dec 21, 2020
I have a 30" Masterbuilt propane smoker. I've used it for several years now, and it does exactly what I need it to do.

However, it's starting to show signs of wear. There is a protective ring around the burner that the Flame Disk Bowl sits on, and it is disintegrating. See the picture below:

1608559411610.png

Any tips or suggestions as to how to address or repair this ?? This ring is part of the structure, and according to the manual, isn't a separate part that can be ordered.

Thanks....

Reactions: JLeonard
Not familiar with the propane smoker. Looks to me that you would have to cut the protective ring out and tack weld a replacement. Another option might be a piece of pipe slightly larger than the existing ring and slightly taller. Slip the new ring over the existing rotted out old ring and tack weld the new ring in place. Not even sure if you need to weld the new ring on. Could it just sit there? The new ring would only move side to side by the difference in diameter from the old vs new ring and gravity would hold it down.

Were you resting a pan or the on the ring? If so, I would cut the old ring out, build a self standing water pan frame that will sit on the floor surrounding the burner. Then place the water pan on top of the frame. If you feel you need a ring to protect/block the flame, then you could incorporate a new ring with the frame.

Were you resting a pan or the on the ring? If so, I would cut the old ring out, build a self standing water pan frame that will sit on the floor surrounding the burner. Then place the water pan on top of the frame. If you feel you need a ring to protect/block the flame, then you could incorporate a new ring with the frame.

Yes, a bowl/disk sits on top of this ring, and the bowl/disk holds the wood chunks for smoking.

The bowl/disk has feet, so it will stand by itself. I think the purpose of this ring is to keep the heat concentrated so that it exits via the slits in the bowl sitting directly above it. Here is a stock photo of a new Flame Disk Bowl:

1608566623796.png

And here is a picture of it in use:

1608566604543.png

What I'm thinking about doing is cutting the feet off of the bowl, and then using bricks to encircle the burner, and then place the bowl upon the bricks.

remove all the rusted out metal and make a new one out of sheet metal. it wouldn't be to difficult to do with simple tools

Also looking at the pic, I would scrape/clean the floor really well to inspect it's durability. If too holey, you might consider welding in a new floor while you're at it.

Reactions: beparrish
I wouldn't even remove the remains of the old one, (although any job requiring a dremel tool is usually hard to pass up.) Instead clean it up with a wire brush and vacuum and use what's left standing as a template for a new made from sheet metal. The roofing repair section of a hardware store should have some options. Could be a good excuse to get a pop riveter if you don't have one.

I think I've seen fish come in steel cans about that size. A can opener on top and bottom could give you a 30-second fix. A 3# coffee can is probably a bit undersized and you'd have to cut it down.

Good luck and show us the finished work.

I wouldn't even remove the remains of the old one, (although any job requiring a dremel tool is usually hard to pass up.) Instead clean it up with a wire brush and vacuum and use what's left standing as a template for a new made from sheet metal. The roofing repair section of a hardware store should have some options. Could be a good excuse to get a pop riveter if you don't have one.

I think I've seen fish come in steel cans about that size. A can opener on top and bottom could give you a 30-second fix. A 3# coffee can is probably a bit undersized and you'd have to cut it down.

Good luck and show us the finished work.

Will check out the roofing section of the local hardware store and see what options it offers. I know my brother has some pop riveters from my dad that I should be able to use.

I think I've seen fish come in steel cans about that size. A can opener on top and bottom could give you a 30-second fix.

Yes.

Food service industry cans are just about the right diameter.One can will give you two rings.Most restaurants will have these size cans in abundance.

If you want the factory part it can probably be found here:

I had the same problem and I replaced the ring and I use a grate from an old propane grill side burner as a grate. The chip pan was a water pan from a old MES 30" Electric that died.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Had a friend make the ring.

Warren

I'd be curious to hear from other propane smoker owners if they even have that ring. I'm not sure it serves any good purpose so you could quite possibly remove it and not miss it. (Although I recommend you maintain circular symmetry within at least at least a few inches of your round flame so I wouldn't leave just half of it there.)

You do need something to hold your chip/chunk pan above the flame, with room for the flame, heat, and air to flow around the sides of the pan and into the smoker interior. But that be a couple small rebars attached from the side or something that has legs and rests on the base (away from the flame hole).

To me it was a part of the design so the manufacture had a reason for it. If you look at the chip pan in post #5 of this thread you can see it had vent holes. Which also allowed the flame to set the chips unfire. The reason most of us went to the cast iron fry pan.

Warren

I use a cast iron to help distribute the heat. No wood chips. I use one of my AMNPS tubes just inside the lower front door.

To me it was a part of the design so the manufacture had a reason for it. If you look at the chip pan in post #5 of this thread you can see it had vent holes. Which also allowed the flame to set the chips unfire. The reason most of us went to the cast iron fry pan.

Warren
Thanks Warren. MB put some vents/slots in that ring (I missed that in BParrish's first rusted-out pic) so you can place a chip pan directly on top saving them a separate support part. And you can also see the flames burning up all his chips with minimal smoke and maximal heat. Trying to get the balance right between flame size and pan spacing to avoid flare-up only gets harder with pellets. I think that's why wood chunks with a flat face resting down on a pan is the way to go with these propane smokers (unless you use an AMNPS or other method that completely separates the propane heating flame from the smoking source.)

It helps a bit to place a flat steel plate over the pan with only a few small holes in it. Starving off the airflow to nicely smoldering/smoking wood is a good way to prevent/postpone that transition to flame.

The ring on my 40" disintegrated so I removed what was left and used some gas pipe fittings to make a stand and placed rebar across it. I have always used a cast iron skillet for my wood chips so this now holds it well.

Thanks Warren. MB put some vents/slots in that ring (I missed that in BParrish's first rusted-out pic) so you can place a chip pan directly on top saving them a separate support part. And you can also see the flames burning up all his chips with minimal smoke and maximal heat. Trying to get the balance right between flame size and pan spacing to avoid flare-up only gets harder with pellets. I think that's why wood chunks with a flat face resting down on a pan is the way to go with these propane smokers (unless you use an AMNPS or other method that completely separates the propane heating flame from the smoking source.)

It helps a bit to place a flat steel plate over the pan with only a few small holes in it. Starving off the airflow to nicely smoldering/smoking wood is a good way to prevent/postpone that transition to flame.

Not sure why they made the chip pan the way they did or why they continue to build it that way. Maybe they have stock in a cast iron co. :emoji_wink: :emoji_smile:

Warren

So my first attempt is going to be to buy the following from Home Depot, and cut a section 1.5" high from it.

1608737597264.png

I'll also drill some vent holes in it, then place it over the burner and put the chip pan on top of it. Not sure how long it will last, but with a 5 foot pipe, I should be able to get a lot of rings out of this. We shall see !!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky