propane safety shutoff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DEERMAKER

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2024
NORTHEASTERN PA
Would like to make my propane smoker safe with it shutting off if flame goes out
Can anyone offer direct part advice and how to do correctly
Thermocouple? valve?
And in a simplified manner
Greatly appreciate the help

Reactions: JLeonard
Brand of smoker ? Only thing I would be aware of would be thermocouple set up. Maybe some guys in propane business can lead ya down the right path.

Reactions: Steve H
Agree with Winterrider Winterrider . Either a thermocouple. Or led sensor. With flame going out. There isn't a pressure raise. Or drop with this. So a leak detector won't work for this.

Agree with Winterrider Winterrider . Either a thermocouple. Or led sensor. With flame going out. There isn't a pressure raise. Or drop with this. So a leak detector won't work for this.
CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE DIFFERNCES AND HOW THEY ARE INSTALLED/USED IF POSSIBLE TO AIDE MY DECISION.
THIS IS A NEW SMOKER BUILD.

There a large number of pilot/thermocouple safety valve setups. A thermocouple is a sensor that sits in the flame and if the flame goes out the sensor triggers the valve to shut off. If you have a pilot/thermocouple set up this is just like what you would see in a RV gas oven. Ie, you need to heat the thermocouple up to light the pilot and then that in turn burns lights the burner.

If this is for a closed system, then I would recommend both with a proper safety valve. These can be expensive though, but if you don't do these right, it becomes a life safety issue!!! It's not something you just do without having some understanding about it......

CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE DIFFERNCES AND HOW THEY ARE INSTALLED/USED IF POSSIBLE TO AIDE MY DECISION.
THIS IS A NEW SMOKER BUILD.
civilsmoker civilsmoker pointed out. There are a few considerations to figure out. If it's strictly used outdoors. Which is suggested by your build. Do a search for them. And pick what is best for you. The thermocouple design is the most common.

Last edited:
I am considering electric at this point as an option
Any simple ideas on this setup in 110v ? Box is insulated space to heat
5 ft X28inX33 in

I am considering electric at this point as an option
Any simple ideas on this setup in 110v ? Box is insulated space to heat
5 ft X28inX33 in
You will like that a whole lot better I would bet. You can control your temps better and with the proper system you can even program it to ramp up the temps to whatever degrees you want at what ever times you want. They say that makes it easy you don't have to try to remember to go out and turn it up every whatever times you want.
I don't have mine going yet a friend has one and he's going to put mine together or me. I think I've bought everything we need at least I bought everything he told me to buy. Mine will use an element made for an oven and will be 220 but you can buy elements in 110 also.

Reactions: tpc74
I don't think you will be able to get enough heat in that size with electric unless you did 220, especially if you are in a cooler climate.
Will be some uneven heat top to bottom.
For the price I would try the one Steve H Steve H posted. If it does its thing, then get the PID

Last edited:
Reactions: civilsmoker
All this info and ideas are greatly appreciated! Cant say it enough.
It will be a trial and error situation for sure.
I am just trying to get some ducks in a row if possible and a clear head on direction
All this is definitely helping me in considerations
Thanks to everyone already

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky