Masterbuilt not standing by warranty?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erik rose

Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
Montana
I bought an MES and the heating element burnt out after a few months of light use. Customer support was good and sent a new element. When replacing the element I discovered that the silicone behind the heating element has melted and burned. After replacing the element there was a horrible burned plastic smell. Customer support said to wash the interior and then set it to 275 for a few hours. I did this a handful of times and the smell remained but customer support didn't offer up any new solutions. The smell is just as strong as it was from day 1 and it permeates anything I try to cook. Eventually Masterbuilt just recommended that I buy a new body kit (even though it was under warranty when the element burnt the silicone) and have stopped responding.

Any ideas?

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
I feel ya. I actually like my MES, but their CS sucks as far as getting a response.

Have to say I feel GMG is way worse. My smoker stopped working after about 3 uses and they would not let me return it. Just sending parts for me to fix. I think that is absurd because technically they are making the customer fix their mistake.

I bought an MES and the heating element burnt out after a few months of light use. Customer support was good and sent a new element. When replacing the element I discovered that the silicone behind the heating element has melted and burned. After replacing the element there was a horrible burned plastic smell. Customer support said to wash the interior and then set it to 275 for a few hours. I did this a handful of times and the smell remained but customer support didn't offer up any new solutions. The smell is just as strong as it was from day 1 and it permeates anything I try to cook. Eventually Masterbuilt just recommended that I buy a new body kit (even though it was under warranty when the element burnt the silicone) and have stopped responding.

Any ideas?
Have you been able to push beyond first level support? That definitely sucks.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I feel ya. I actually like my MES, but their CS sucks as far as getting a response.

Have to say I feel GMG is way worse. My smoker stopped working after about 3 uses and they would not let me return it. Just sending parts for me to fix. I think that is absurd because technically they are making the customer fix their mistake.
Have you been able to push beyond first level support? That definitely sucks.
I sent the claim in 8 months ago and have had on and off convos since then. People had generally been trying to help until the most recent rep. Her first message was basically that they had done as much troubleshooting as possible and the only remedy was for me to buy a part. Her next message stated that I took too long to respond so she was not going to honor the warranty. So I think I got to the "closer" level of customer support.

I sent the claim in 8 months ago and have had on and off convos since then. People had generally been trying to help until the most recent rep. Her first message was basically that they had done as much troubleshooting as possible and the only remedy was for me to buy a part. Her next message stated that I took too long to respond so she was not going to honor the warranty. So I think I got to the "closer" level of customer support.
Tell them their company sucks and chalk it up as a loss unfortunately. Idk what it is, but I only noticed shitty CS when it comes to smokers. Very odd imo. Anything else I have ever had a problem with, I could return it.

Tell them their company sucks and chalk it up as a loss unfortunately. Idk what it is, but I only noticed shitty CS when it comes to smokers. Very odd imo. Anything else I have ever had a problem with, I could return it.
Nah I will threaten small claims court and keep fighting. Probably not worth their time/money to put up with me. I bet they will cave.

Reactions: negolien
If that smell has permeated your smoker, perhaps you can strip the seasoning off of the walls and start the process of seasoning over.

If that smell has permeated your smoker, perhaps you can strip the seasoning off of the walls and start the process of seasoning over.
It seems like the smell is between the case. I haven't gotten too crazy with cleaning, but have done diluted mild soap and diluted apple cider vinegar a few times to no avail.

Hmm. I would think that simply propping the door to the smoker open an leaving it that way for a couple or 3 weeks would help quite a bit.

Nah I will threaten small claims court and keep fighting. Probably not worth their time/money to put up with me. I bet they will cave.

I’ve always thought these tactics to be not helpful. It’s likely they won’t be phased by this as I’m sure they have access to much more legal resources than the average person.

I agree with some others-air it out for a few weeks than strip the seasoning and reseason. See if that helps. If not, it sucks but at least you got it on sale!

That is too bad, cause they used to have great CS.
Al

I agree with this poster. They must not anymore, which is quite upsetting.

GMG CS is great with communication, but they wouldn't let me return a smoker that stopped working after 3 uses. They said they can send parts for me to fix it. Sorry, but I paid to have a working product. I shouldn't have to waste my time fixing their mistake. I am young and enjoy smoking and will never give them another cent as they don't deserve anyone's business.

Keep at them, I too had issues with customer service. They finally replaced the power circuit board, their claim was I was using a too long extension cord, too small diameter extension cord, using an extension cord in the first place. Finally they relented when I pointed out that the instructions want you 10’ away from any combustible structure yet the power cord supplied is only 4’. It took me about 10 emails over 2 months to finally resolve my issue. Good luck

Masterbuilt Changing CS:
10 years ago I bought my first MES, and had no problems, but I learned how to use one.
Then I bought one for my Son, and his had the dreaded problem of the extra piece of metal between the heating element & the chip drawer, so it wouldn't smoke until you got up to about 220°. I called them, and I got a girl telling me I should soak my chips, and a couple of other stupid statements. I asked her if she ever used an MES, or if she ever saw one. She said she thinks there's one in their show-room. I gave up & hung up. Tried again the next day, and got the same answers. We took it back to Cabelas.
Then I got my second MES, and it had the same problem, but their CS had changed, and they had found the problem & they were giving FREE Upgrade kits to those who had that problem. The Kit had a new Chip burner assembly, which solved the problem of the space between the Element & Chip drawer.
Then beginning there the CS got Awesome. They were helping people with problems even after their warranty had run out. It was Great CS for quite a few years.
Now judging by the last year or so, it looks like the CS went to Hell again. Maybe they rehired that Little Girl who I dealt with 10 years ago???

I would keep after them---Maybe you just have to get ahold of the right person. You could get lucky & have somebody with a brain answer the phone.

Meanwhile I would hesitate to use any water in your cleaning efforts, since it is electric. You could end up with even bigger problems.

Bear

Might want to make sure you're not burning insulation where the connection goes thru the back of the case .
When the element burnt out I am sure it got hot enough to burn some insulation. I don't want to do too much dismantling of rivets because I don't want to give them any more reason not to uphold the warranty.

The silicone gasket was disfigured on mine but not burnt up when I flipped my element to center it. I think if you have a ground wire at the gasket that is melting insulation or box insulation melting is the issue. If you go to MB page on FB and messenger them. That has been the fastest response from comments I've seen and I've have had good luck with it as well for a replacement warranty element. Start over with the burnt smell and not mention the replacement element and that case number.

Reactions: chopsaw
Masterbuilt Changing CS:
10 years ago I bought my first MES, and had no problems, but I learned how to use one.
Then I bought one for my Son, and his had the dreaded problem of the extra piece of metal between the heating element & the chip drawer, so it wouldn't smoke until you got up to about 220°. I called them, and I got a girl telling me I should soak my chips, and a couple of other stupid statements. I asked her if she ever used an MES, or if she ever saw one. She said she thinks there's one in their show-room. I gave up & hung up. Tried again the next day, and got the same answers. We took it back to Cabelas.
Then I got my second MES, and it had the same problem, but their CS had changed, and they had found the problem & they were giving FREE Upgrade kits to those who had that problem. The Kit had a new Chip burner assembly, which solved the problem of the space between the Element & Chip drawer.
Then beginning there the CS got Awesome. They were helping people with problems even after their warranty had run out. It was Great CS for quite a few years.
Now judging by the last year or so, it looks like the CS went to Hell again. Maybe they rehired that Little Girl who I dealt with 10 years ago???

I would keep after them---Maybe you just have to get ahold of the right person. You could get lucky & have somebody with a brain answer the phone.

Meanwhile I would hesitate to use any water in your cleaning efforts, since it is electric. You could end up with even bigger problems.

Bear
Thanks Bear. I will keep after them.

I have not used anything like a hose or (shudder) pressure washer. Just a rag and brillo pad dipped in water. Had to take some steel wool to the area between the element and the electrical connectors because there was not other way to scrape off the silicone that had melted to interior. I will try reaching out via social media.

Merry Christmas and thanks for all of your contributions!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky