Masterbuilt Gravity Series Smokers Are a Quality Control Nightmare; My Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have been thinking of purchasing one of these units, and it's clear to me that some of the bugs are still yet to be worked out on them.
I don't think that there is anything on the market, in any category, that has had all the bugs worked out. Some have more worked out than others, but anything you buy is possibly going to have issues.

Reactions: 912smoker
My smoker is about 18 months old -- only 18 months -- used intermittently, kept covered and under shelter -- ideally storage conditions.

Here is my firebox after 18 months of not too heavy use. I just can't take anyone seriously who rejects people complaining about quality control and material quality issues. They are real, and there are many of them.

I still really like this cooker. It cooks absolutely the best food I've ever cooked. But it is unreal to suggest it is flawless or that anyone complaining doesn't know what they're talking about.

I installed a firebox mod right after taking this picture. Pain in the a** to get in with how warped the factory firebox is. Had to use a lot of lubricant to avoid too much metal on metal contact with the hammering. Lot of burn off cooking to do to get those chemicals out of the way.

Top marks for LSS firebox mod kit. Went in very easily and the only issues were with how warped the factory firebox metal had become.

IMG_0991.jpeg

I don't think that there is anything on the market, in any category, that has had all the bugs worked out. Some have more worked out than others, but anything you buy is possibly going to have issues.
You’re right Doug.

There’s nothing made with human hands nor conceived of by the human mind, that has “all” of the bugs worked out.

But I’m waiting to see a few more of them worked out before I take the plunge on one of these units.

Last edited:
You’re right Doug.

There’s nothing made with human hands nor conceived of by the human mind, that has “all” of the bugs worked out.

But I’m waiting to see a few more of them worked out before I take the plunge on one of these units.
Mmm…bacon. Bacon has all the bugs worked out. Nothing at all wrong with bacon.

Mmm…bacon. Bacon has all the bugs worked out. Nothing at all wrong with bacon.
Except there's an even better bacon recipe just waiting to be discovered. Is bacon great? Hell, yes, but there is even room for improvement with bacon.

True. But man didn't invent bacon.
No single person invented bacon, but the first records of cured pork originate in ancient China. The word “bacon” was used starting in the 17th century to refer to any type of salted and smoked pork belly.
The beginning of the word comes from older French and German words meaning the back of a pig. The word “bacon” in its present form started in 16th century England to mean any type of pork. It later evolved to mean smoked and salted pork. In terms of the actual process of adding salt to pork, which is the most basic quality of bacon, the ancient Chinese were the first to invent bacon, and there are records of this type of early bacon as early as 1500 B.C.E.
The ancient Romans also had a type of bacon that came from a pig’s shoulder. The Romans would boil this dish with dried figs and then serve it with wine. The Anglo-Saxons consumed a lot of bacon-like foods throughout the Middle Ages. During World War II, when food was rationed, bacon was more important since many butchers would donate it. It is actually possible to use bacon to create devices that cause fires, and bacon was sometimes used directly in weapons throughout history.

No single person invented bacon, but the first records of cured pork originate in ancient China. The word “bacon” was used starting in the 17th century to refer to any type of salted and smoked pork belly....
That's my point. Man didn't invent pork bellies.

However man did invent gravity fed smokers.

One still has bugs in it that I'd like to see worked out, before I want to partake.

The other, bacon, doesn't.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
You’re right.

Man invented ham and pork shoulders too.

Man invented pork.

Now let’s have some man made bacon.

If you can simply take an animal part and add a little salt (which man must have also invented) to it and then holler “Eureka, I just invented something”, As opposed to made a minimal change ie seasoning to something that’s been here for centuries and that I had nothing to do with making, well then I’m on board.

But why stop there. If I can invent bacon, then why not eggs?
No, you said man didn't invent bacon.

Last edited:
😂 I know. I’m just messing with him.
my firebox after hundreds of cooks. I'm not Ac/dc enough to keep records.
FWIW if i would have judged MB on my experiences with their electric smokers I never would have bought this one. but I'm damn happy I did. It's my "go-to" smoking appliance now.
374F4D5D-B928-4405-ADD4-1AB7244D0736.jpeg

Last edited:
Wild, I wonder how some are so warped and some look as you'd expect. Do you run at high temps?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky