Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have had my 560 for one year and I LOVE it. I have used it almost every week. I have use it for unusual purposes too. Wife and I are planning the starts for our Spring garden and I will use the 560 to sterilize soil for the starter trays... 190' for 45 minutes.
I have used it to dehydrate fruit and vegetables. It will hold a low temp of 155' or 160' all day.
My favorite is to Reverse Sear Rib Eye !
thanks, that is an unusual use.

Reactions: Will Squared
All good points. Great for grilling stuff that take more than 5 minutes to cook. If your just firing it up to grill a handful of hot dogs your wasting more time loading and lighting it than its worth I keep a little camping gas grill around if i'm doing that. But chicken, burgers, steaks, pork tenderloins etc. it works great. Warning though you find yourself converting over to reverse searing all of those once you try it.
Thanks, I usually reverse sear in the oven and on a cast iron skillet. Definitely keen on trying it once I have the grill.

thanks, that is an unusual use.
I have plans for another unusual use for it.
I do a little metal bending and am going to make a plenum that will attach to the manifold, ducting the heat into an insulated box.
The purpose is to cure epoxy in bow limbs and risers (archery).
190' for 9 hours.
I will just run Oak chunks through the stack.
The 560 is a versatile Work Horse !

The comments about the screw falling in when attaching the handle were very helpful. However, Masterbuilt clearly also heard and added a bag with a couple additional parts and a diagram. It's a couple stamped steel inserts that you put the screws through to keep them from falling inside. After doing it the first time without since it's not in the instruction book yet I can say it really helps.

Better and easier than a magnetized screwdriver , is get some heavy grease like wheel bearing grease, put a dab on the end of the screwdriver and it will hold the screw.

As long as ya don't hit anything going through the lid.

Is it just me or are the grates for "sear" and "smoke" marked wrong on my 1050 ?
Sear side is flat and smoke side had a raised ridge ". I tried to sear on the flat side last week and didn't get the marks I was hoping for. Used the side marked for "smoke" last night a it came out perfect?

The metal right at the lower walls of the Fire Box will burn out.
Don't let that bum ya.
I got around 40 cooks out of my 560 before I burned them through.
The Kit is heavy 12 gauge Stainless Steel and costs $100.
Takes around an hour or less to switch them out.
You will be glad you did.
I will look back and bring up the links.
The man that makes them has a video showing the mod.

Why will I be glad I did ?

Perhaps they are thinking the wider openings expose more of the meat underside to the smoke. I’m not sure it makes a lot of difference either way.

Is it just me or are the grates for "sear" and "smoke" marked wrong on my 1050 ?
Sear side is flat and smoke side had a raised ridge ". I tried to sear on the flat side last week and didn't get the marks I was hoping for. Used the side marked for "smoke" last night a it came out perfect?

Not sure how the grates are stamped on the 560/800/1050, but on my grill that has reversible grates the wide side is the sear side. A good sear is all about the width of the surface. The wider the surface the more surface are has that caramelization. This is why steaks cooked on a flat top/cast iron pan have(arguably) a better sear.

Not sure how the grates are stamped on the 560/800/1050, but on my grill that has reversible grates the wide side is the sear side. A good sear is all about the width of the surface. The wider the surface the more surface are has that caramelization. This is why steaks cooked on a flat top/cast iron pan have(arguably) a better sear.
That makes sense. Only had to heat up to 500 the first time and 700 the second time. That probably made the difference.

I have plans for another unusual use for it.
I do a little metal bending and am going to make a plenum that will attach to the manifold, ducting the heat into an insulated box.
The purpose is to cure epoxy in bow limbs and risers (archery).
190' for 9 hours.
I will just run Oak chunks through the stack.
The 560 is a versatile Work Horse !

At first when I read this I thought you were putting epoxy into your smoker to cure that would have made some pretty exotic flavors for your food haha .

That makes sense. Only had to heat up to 500 the first time and 700 the second time. That probably made the difference.

Oh most definitely that. Don't misunderstand, steaks can sear well at 500, takes a little longer for it to set a good sear. But a 700 degree sear is far and away more effective.

Thanks krj. Still getting the feel for the GF and after reading so much about the insulation/fire brick didn't want to get any hotter than needed.

I found an MB 560 at WalMart for $250. So I've joined the club. Today, I've read every post in this thread. Very informative.

First cook will be Saturday. Gonna do two whole yardbird, spatchcocked and halved. Got two decisions to make, which grate to put them on, and whether to use a drip pan ?

I found an MB 560 at WalMart for $250. So I've joined the club. Today, I've read every post in this thread. Very informative.

First cook will be Saturday. Gonna do two whole yardbird, spatchcocked and halved. Got two decisions to make, which grate to put them on, and whether to use a drip pan ?
Do your self a favor and before you cook anything in there after you do your initial seasoning - line the bottom and top of the manifold with foil. Makes it a lot easier to keep it clean

Why will I be glad I did ?
Well after the factory plates burn through it will start to reveal the insulation and it begin to degrade. The factory plates are thin metal. The repair kit is 12 gauge stainless steel... much heavier.
You will be glad you swapped it out. Won't take long.

Reactions: Aledavidov
Thanks krj. Still getting the feel for the GF and after reading so much about the insulation/fire brick didn't want to get any hotter than needed.
Once you do the repair you can let it rip. I have had mine up to 780'.
It really put the heat to the grates.
Makes perfect grill marks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky