Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh man, that sounds delicious. Might have to whip up some homemade dough soon and put a pizza on there. What temperature and how long did you cook it for?
I thought the oak fired pizza was fine but my Wife said it was like eating a table. LOL.
Can't remember off hand the time & temp...
probably find some info here or on YT.

Used a Cast Iron Pizza Pan.

Oh man, that sounds delicious. Might have to whip up some homemade dough soon and put a pizza on there. What temperature and how long did you cook it for?

I had soaked it in brine for about 16 hours before putting it on to cook as well, I guess that and the larger water pan all combined to take much longer than anticipated. Add that to my previous cooking taking less time than usual and you get me worrying something is wrong! Thankfully, it worked out in the end.
The best 'mod' I've done with this grill is an inkbird wifi with 4 temp probes. Being able to get the ambient temp at a couple spots in the grill has been eye opening. Depending on how the grill is packed, or even what direction the wind is coming from, I've found a 30 degree difference from the indicated to actual chamber temp. That will make hours of difference on a 10+lb pork shoulder or brisket.

Reactions: abcdefghii
Ill be butchering a whole hog this weekend so the 1050's going to be getting a lot of smoke time in the coming months. Cant wait for the home smoked ham for xmas and smoked polish sausage for Easter 🤤 Anyone try setting up a cold smoke in theirs?

The pork I was cooking yesterday, finally finished just before 1am. Close to 18 hours after I first put it on the smoker, by far the longest cook I have done.
I don’t think I saw you post what the pit temp Is/was you were maintaining? That stall is from evaporative cooling (the energy input is less than the offset of evaporation) ... bumping the energy input (pit temp) will power through the stall, and butts are forgiving enough to do that.
Or you wait patiently for a midnight snack :emoji_wink:

So I love the idea of charcoal smokey flavor and a set it and forget it setup. I was thinking maybe a 18” WSM + temp control fan setup (Thermoworks Bellow and Signal?) would be better and cheaper, but it looks like that could cost $600?!

Is there any reason I should opt for that other than the 560? I love the idea but the quality issues that have been mentioned make me a bit reluctant to go ahead with the 560. Money’s a bit tight so if I’m spending that much I want to make sure I’ll be happy with it and it will last. What are your guys’ thoughts?

Reactions: Will Squared
s there any reason I should opt for that other than the 560? I love the idea but the quality issues that have been mentioned make me a bit reluctant to go ahead with the 560. Money’s a bit tight so if I’m spending that much I want to make sure I’ll be happy with it and it will last. What are your guys’ though

Check brickseek.com to look for a deal at your local walmart on the 560. They are on clearance this time of year. I found one a few weeks ago for $275 and then a few days later a different walmart in the area had them for $150. If you can find one on clearance its worth giving a try. For me at $275 the "quality" issues dont bother me. This thing is built way better than any $275 grill I've every seen.

I also have an 18 wsm with a bbq guru. Look on the facebook market place and you can probably find a used 18 wsm for $100-150 and then you would just have to buy the temp controller of your choice. I found my nearly new wsm for $125.

These are two different animals in my opinion and both do what they do pretty well. The WSM is pretty much a one trick pony where as the 560 can grill and smoke. I have used the WSM as a grill but its a bit of a pain in the butt.

Check brickseek.com to look for a deal at your local walmart on the 560. They are on clearance this time of year. I found one a few weeks ago for $275 and then a few days later a different walmart in the area had them for $150. If you can find one on clearance its worth giving a try. For me at $275 the "quality" issues dont bother me. This thing is built way better than any $275 grill I've every seen.

I also have an 18 wsm with a bbq guru. Look on the facebook market place and you can probably find a used 18 wsm for $100-150 and then you would just have to buy the temp controller of your choice. I found my nearly new wsm for $125.

These are two different animals in my opinion and both do what they do pretty well. The WSM is pretty much a one trick pony where as the 560 can grill and smoke. I have used the WSM as a grill but its a bit of a pain in the butt.

I do like my current grill setup (one gas, one charcoal all-in-one). If I was primarily considering the 560 for longer smokes to set it and forget it (Smoking overnight or while at work), would you recommend WSM or 560?

I do like my current grill setup (one gas, one charcoal all-in-one). If I was primarily considering the 560 for longer smokes to set it and forget it (Smoking overnight or while at work), would you recommend WSM or 560?

On the 560 I think it depends on the charcoal being used. I did an overnight with the 560 using Royal Oak lump. Luckily I set the alarm for 6 hours. At 6 hours/225 degrees the hopper was almost empty. I am using B & B lump now and it lasts longer. I think a hopper full would last 8 hours at 225 degrees but I haven't tried an overnight smoke with the B & B yet.

Reactions: Will Squared
So I love the idea of charcoal smokey flavor and a set it and forget it setup. I was thinking maybe a 18” WSM + temp control fan setup (Thermoworks Bellow and Signal?) would be better and cheaper, but it looks like that could cost $600?!

I did this to my 18" WSM when the Signals and Bellows first came out. Also insulated the barrel. Results were great and my modded WSM was basically hands free with temps. Cooks were always good, just a great deal of hand holding prior to the mod.

I was waiting for the Weber Smokefire to be released but we all know how that played out. So then I discovered the MB560. Wasn't too excited about a MB product but thought I'd give this novel approach a shot. Best decision ever...

I had some initial issues with the app and did spend some bucks for several improvements but I tend to do this for everything I own. My 560 has performed flawlessly on every cook I've thrown at it.

Flavors and ease of use are it's main attributes. The thing is just plain fun to use.
My modded WSM holds a steady temp but the variance on the top grate is very significant. Always was. But didn't seem to effect the results. The MB also has some variance but less than the WSM and the added cooking surface makes the differences less noticable.

Bottomline... My WSM is now in storage.

A quick question, if someone has time to take a quick look... What are the specs on the AC adapter for the 560? Mine got separated from the grill (long story, previous post where the dog ate my grill wiring). I finally got it wired back together, but the adapter got brought into the house and I fear it ended up in "the box of adapters". So If someone can tell me the output Volts/Amps, I might be able to match it up. I could buy another, but MB is sold out.

Last edited:
A quick question, if someone has time to take a quick look... What are the specs on the AC adapter for the 560? Mine got separated from the grill (long story, previous post where the dog ate my grill wiring). I finally got it wired back together, but the adapter got brought into the house and I fear it ended up in "the box of adapters". So If someone can tell me the output Volts/Amps, I might be able to match it up. I could buy another, but MB is sold out.
This is a perfect time to get a battery pack and go cordless.

12v 1amp works. I also use with a 10k mah battery unless im smoking for long periods of time. Just a quick steak sear i use battery pack.

Thanks gentlemen, I'm sure I have a few of those laying around. Yeah, I'll look at cordless too, as my wife complains about smoke coming around the door where I run the extension cord (to me, it makes the house smell better).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky