Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Grease fire or something eh?

Never know---Anything can happen:
Grease, Electrical problem, etc...
I know of a guy who had fats accumulate inside the door of his MES. (strange)
Then the door burst into flames, and burned. Luckily he was nearby, and put it out before it could do more than ruin the Smoker door. Masterbuilt gave him a new door.

My MES is on my Wood front porch, on a wood platform, next to a log house wall, under a wood T & G ceiling, on an All Wood Log Home.
All worth more to us than a couple Brisket Meals or a couple dozen Pulled Pork Sammies.

Bear

Never know---Anything can happen:
Grease, Electrical problem, etc...

Yep, I set some pork to cook on mine a couple weeks ago at about 1am, I was definitely aware of where I was placing the smoker in case something did happen. I had also set myself an alarm to keep checking on it fairly regularly.

Funnily enough, my biggest fear was a bear coming and kicking it over to steal the meat.

• Wow
Reactions: Will Squared
Yep, I set some pork to cook on mine a couple weeks ago at about 1am, I was definitely aware of where I was placing the smoker in case something did happen. I had also set myself an alarm to keep checking on it fairly regularly.

Funnily enough, my biggest fear was a bear coming and kicking it over to steal the meat.

Hey!!!---C'mon---Bears are Nice Guys!!:emoji_bear:
Sounds like you are being careful !!

Bear

They are working out just Fine & Dandy !

We just did a Tri Tip with a Coffee/ Cocoa rub and it came out perfect.

I will be doing my first slow cook tomorrow, a boston butt. I cooked some ribeyes, chicken thighs and salmon last weekend. All turned out well. Gonna start in the early a.m. and get this puppy going.

I will be doing my first slow cook tomorrow, a boston butt. I cooked some ribeyes, chicken thighs and salmon last weekend. All turned out well. Gonna start in the early a.m. and get this puppy going.
My first Butt took a lot longer than I expected.
It was chilly and breezy.

I love this thing but... I keep losing the controller during the cook. Everything is fine and then it simply powers off for no known reason. I'm not talking about losing the wifi. The system turns off just like when you shut it down. I thought maybe we had a power interruption which we didn't know about so I purchased a battery backup system and the problem still occurs.

I contacted MS Customer Service about two weeks ago regarding this and they never returned a response. Any suggestions as to what this might be?
Unfortunately, I don't have much to offer as to why your unit keeps powering off. However, I did want you to know that you're not alone relative to MS Customer Service not responding to your inquiry. I have made a number of attempts to open a dialogue regarding the issues that I'm having with my grill to no avail. At this point, I'm convinced the warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on and would caution others not to have high expectations when seeking recourse from MB.

Reactions: abcdefghii
Unfortunately, I don't have much to offer as to why your unit keeps powering off. However, I did want you to know that you're not alone relative to MS Customer Service not responding to your inquiry. I have made a number of attempts to open a dialogue regarding the issues that I'm having with my grill to no avail. At this point, I'm convinced the warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on and would caution others not to have high expectations when seeking recourse from MB.

It might be trying to update its firmware. If you’re connected to your phone it will try to download the new firmware then shutdown. Takes around 10 minutes.
For warranty issues, register your grill on their website then submit a warranty claim. I received a part about a week later using this method.

While a little more successful in that I got a reply from MasterBuilt when asking about issues with mine, I am with you in that the warranty might well be completely useless. I had emailed them pictures of the paint failing after I think only 2 cooks with mine, they basically replied and told me it's normal. The cheap grill I had from K-Mart that the MB replaced had paint that lasted several years of use, was disappointing to learn that as far as MB were concerned paint coming off a brand new grill was normal.

Oh well, I am still happy with it. If it lasts me 5 years then I will feel as though I got good value out of it, even though I would expect it to last longer assuming proper care.

Now I am in the mood to go cook something on mine, it has been a few weeks, keep wanting to try burnt ends, maybe this weekend will be the time to do that.

New 560 owner here. What's the foil to the fire box lid supposed to be? I'm assuming yall are just putting a peice of foil between the firebox and the lid.

New 560 owner here. What's the foil to the fire box lid supposed to be? I'm assuming yall are just putting a peice of foil between the firebox and the lid.
Some are having issues with paint on lid bubbling up. I lined the inside of my lid with foil and have seen no issues. I see someone has come up with a thin sheet of SS that fits under lid perfect, it also helps with the sealing.

I have run (6) 20 pound bags of lump through mine with no mods and no issues. I have cranked mine up to 700 degrees only about (6) times. 700 degrees is pretty hot.
Only mod I am doing is the charcoal grate. I add 2 tent steaks to ot to keep the smaller peice from falling thru. I noticed a big difference in the amount of un burned charcoal in the ash bin after i did that. Was mostly just ashes only a few tiny pieces of unburnt coals.
20200830_192730.jpg

Yupp skewer mods really all you need. I’ve used this thing a lot since April and tried most of the available charcoal in my area I can say surprisingly I’ve had the best luck with the cheap bags of Ridges briquettes from Lowe’s . For some reason it last the longest and burns down to nothing.

Did a bit of a grate mod for charcoal as well.. 1050 still a huge monster consumer of fuel for me.. 10hr cook takes $20, 20lb bag.. At 225

• Wow
Did a bit of a grate mod for charcoal as well.. 1050 still a huge monster consumer of fuel for me.. 10hr cook takes $20, 20lb bag.. At 225
Man it’s gotta be your fuel. I can can say the kingsford competition and frontier lump had that problem for me as well. I just kept buying different brands till i found what works in my cooker. Also maybe try a brick wrapped in foil to help maintain temp so your fan doesn’t kick on all the time. It helped keep my temp swings under control.

Man it’s gotta be your fuel. I can can say the kingsford competition and frontier lump had that problem for me as well. I just kept buying different brands till i found what works in my cooker. Also maybe try a brick wrapped in foil to help maintain temp so your fan doesn’t kick on all the time. It helped keep my temp swings under control.
Now I did something different that ruined my bday party pulled pork dish.. I used grill grates to catch dripping and put pans on top of them. Even tho I left couple inch on each side of grill grates. 1050 reported 225.. Dome and my other thermo reported 170f..... I wasn't paying attention and raised temp a bit but relied on MB screen.. It could have been something to do with that. Not sure
But new charcoal, super good quality never used before.. Massive massive chunks of wood and logs.
I'll do ribs this coming week without the grates and I think I'll try on my Primo and on MB at same time to see how it turns out. To be honest the turn on and set temp part of mb is awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky