Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've read some reviews saying the charcoal chute area starting to rust after a few cooks.
I have done quite a few cooks and You will see creosote build up. This has the appearance of peeling paint. I don't have rust per say.

What you will get is burn through of the metal by the Fire Box area (bottom 6" of the fuel stack)

I just got delivery of my Fire Box Mod kit about 30 minutes ago !
I will work on that tomorrow.

Here is what I will be doing...

Do you o
I have done quite a few cooks and You will see creosote build up. This has the appearance of peeling paint. I don't have rust per say.

What you will get is burn through of the metal by the Fire Box area (bottom 6" of the fuel stack)

I just got delivery of my Fire Box Mod kit about 30 minutes ago !
I will work on that tomorrow.

Here is what I will be doing...

Do you ordered this mod from Nathan Kloter ?

Reactions: Will Squared
I did.
Nathan was great to work with. He was very prompt with answers and shipped within two days of payment. The steel is very heavy gauge and I am pleased with the material.
I probably go ahead and order fire box mod , so when my 1050 show up i can upgrade fire box
Thank you sir

Just Got Er Dun !
I installed Nathan's kit and it went Easy Peasy !
I LOVE that Guy !

His video was 20 minutes and it took me around 40. (I'm slow)

12 gauge is the way the Factory should have made it.

Ready to Cook On !

Reactions: Aledavidov
I am so glad I took your advise and got the heaver metal kit.
Also it is better to disassemble the old metal and take it out and replace it piece by piece instead of shoving a welded box down the Stack.
Thanx Rex.

Just Got Er Dun !
I installed Nathan's kit and it went Easy Peasy !
I LOVE that Guy !

His video was 20 minutes and it took me around 40. (I'm slow)

12 gauge is the way the Factory should have made it.

Ready to Cook On !
How can I reach Nathan? Does appear I could use one of his kits.

On the subject of cooking, I've always wondered how people can tell the difference of food cooked with different woods. My taste buds must be shot. Seems to me, once something like hickory is used, it will over power any lighter woods, like apple or cherry, that you try and use later. Is there something I'm missing or are my taste buds dying? :)

Are you talking hickory reside in the smoker taints the next cook? I hadn't noticed that but I use mostly Apple and Cherry and can tell between those.
I baked a pizza with Oak chunks and could really tell that... kind of a leathery taste, but it did not affect following cooks.
I use Pecan to chipotle up my chiles but I think I get a clean taste between cooks.

No big deal, I guess. I like hickory.
Just a thought...
Do some cooks with no smoke wood, just Briqs or Lump. See if it smooths out.
When you go back to smoke wood, use less and go with a milder wood, like apple or pecan.
To me Cherry has a very distinct taste and I use it mostly for pork.
If I use Hickory or Mesquite I go light of the chips or chunks.
When I do Whiskey Barrel Burgers I just use a LITTLE as it is strong.
Sometimes less is more.

I must admit, I must work at it to tell a difference from many of the woods I play with. I can tell mesquite and hickory apart from the others and sometimes oak if I went overboard. I've often thought the stronger woods linger in the pit for awhile but never really did anything to confirm this. I've picked up some lump and plan on a cook without wood just to see what difference I might observe.

Error: safe mode, Close the device door, remove any coverings from your device.
This is from within the app, of course it won't connect to WiFi either. Using an android phone. The unit itself is working, up to 225 for the burn in now. Gonna set it to 350 now.

Any way to fix this?
New 1050 just setup. Wouldn't pair to my wife's iPhone so charging my iPad now to try that later.
Screenshot_20200607-121128_Masterbuilt.jpg

Even an iPhone? I have heard instances of Apple not connecting, but not near as many as Android devices. Let's face it. The Masterbuilt app is a piece of garbage. They push out updates for the controller, but if you can't connect your wifi, it's meaningless.
Last I looked, the app rated a 1.8 in the Play Store. For a mainstream company it should be at least 3.5 or better. Then you look at Fireboard and how easy it is to connect to any wifi. Masterbuilt is missing the mark

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky